1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine as VST in Ableton Live (getting the best of both worlds) full tutorial!

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by themixtape, Jun 7, 2010.

1. saintjoe

saintjoe NI Product Owner

Yeah man, it would really be nice to not lose transport control in plugin mode.

glad to help though man and thanks for the support on the site/vids I appreciate it!

2. XSV-Ego

XSV-Ego Forum Member

Hi, first i have to thank you for this wonderfull tutorial :)

I have maschine for about six months, and i saw your tutorial on you tube.. i couldnt get it to work, i cracked my head over it..

6 months later i stumbled on this post whilest searching for something else and decided to give it another try since i dident saw this step by step tutorial 6 months ago..

after some more cracking i found my solution in the reply's in your you tube video: i always loaded an audio unit instead of a VST, minor thing, but that was the problem for me.

So, thnx for this tutorial!

but i have a question:

since i use the step sequencer in maschine to make my beats (i'm a edm producer), and like a lot of people i hate the song mode in maschine.
    What i used to do is: i recorded al my loops from maschine into ableton as an audio file and i compose my songs like that.
    But if you want to change something or do some quick drum shifting, you have to go to the whole proces again..

What i would like to do is:

Make my loops, beats, sounds in the maschine sequencer, and then copy/record the midi data into ableton when i'm about to compose the song..

is this possible?

thnx in advance

3. XSV-Ego

XSV-Ego Forum Member

someone? ^^^^

4. djadonis206

djadonis206 NI Product Owner

Drag and drop the midi file. Make sure your groups midi channel matches the ableton midi channels your midi files are imported to.

It's easier to just record the midi into Live using Maschine as a sampler. I know u like the step sequencer but in step mode midi is not transmitted.
    ---
    Drag and drop the midi file. Make sure your groups midi channel matches the ableton midi channels your midi files are imported to.

It's easier to just record the midi into Live using Maschine as a sampler. I know u like the step sequencer but in step mode midi is not transmitted.

5. Fusebox

Fusebox Forum Member

Terrific guide themixtape, it really helped me integrate my Maschine with Ableton the way I wanted. Much appreciated man!

6. illric

illric New Member

thanks for great tute! really helped me heaps

little hiccup though;

followed steps, got it to work fine, tested a quick record... closed it all down and reopened my newly saved LiveSet Template to start properly... but when i click on the Maschine VST in Ableton, the Maschine window doesn't seem to appear? WTH am I missing? I dont want to have to insert a new VST and redo all the mappings everytime?

thankyou

7. themixtape

themixtape NI Product Owner

Huge important step... save your Ableton set before you exit.
    ---
    And it seems like you might be clicking the wrong thing. It's the wrench icon (on that Ableton track) that will show the Maschine VST upon clicking.

8. Fusebox

Fusebox Forum Member

I went one step further than that, I saved the Ableton set as my Ableton Default Template, and I saved the Maschine project as my Maschine Default Template to be opened when Maschine plug-in is opened.

9. illric

illric New Member

thanks guys.

yes i did save the ableton set before exit! definitely made sure of that. thats the thing, i exit Live, Open the saved Live set and see everything as it should be (exactly as the first jpg attached to the initial thread) but when i click on the 9 Maschine VST colum nothing appears. @themixtape you mention wrench icon... where is this? you maybe right but im totally unaware as to where this wrench icon is.

thanks again for the tutorial!
    ---
    DOH! I JUST FOUND IT!

I had to select the Maschine VST and then click the wrench from the instrument loaded below

you are a legend. thanks man!

10. maedde999

maedde999 New Member

hi guys ;)

I have a Problem... I did all the things here, step by step..., and I would say im not soo stupid, I understand most technical things not bad...^^

but...., on the Point, where u select the Midi From, and choose "09-Maschine", and "Maschine" below, I have a difference here... The option "09-Maschine" for the Maschine Track is no problem, but below I only have the options for choosing "PreFX" and "PostFX", but nothing about Maschine.....

What am I doing wrong?

PEACE guys...

sorry for my bad english... :S

11. saintjoe

Use the VST instead of the AU plugin, AU plugins can't send midi.

12. maedde999

maedde999 New Member

thaaanks 1000 times.... I knew it was something simple like that! :):lol::D

13. saintjoe

no problem, glad to help :)

14. DjGross

DjGross New Member

How do I open maschine as a VST? In my native instruments folder under my plugins tab in ableton, I can only see/choose from (AU) files.

15. robertginkgo

robertginkgo Forum Member

This is what I've been looking for. I'm running into trouble putting this all together, though. I have the Audio from each Maschine group showing up in Live, but no MIDI data is recorded in the MIDI track or External Instrument Tracks.

On the MIDI track, I can't select Maschine as MIDI input (almost certainly my problem), only pre/post fx. I have MIDI From the Maschine channel selected, and recording armed.

What am I doing wrong? (Now that I've seen this question has already been asked)

_____

OK, now that I read the other posts more closely, I'm guessing that I'm using the AU and not the VST. But now I've got the same question as DJ gross- how do I choose Maschine as a VST?

Last edited: May 30, 2012
  16. Ste_clectic

Ste_clectic NI Product Owner

I was under the impression that AUs run on Macs and VSTs on Windows. Am I wrong?

17. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

in your Ableton Live Preferences - Plugins - you need to activate your VSTs. there should be a button that you turn on and Love will scan your VST Folder.

sowari

18. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

On a Mac you can run AUs, and VSTs. The VSTs have been made for use on Macs and are not exactly the same as Windows VSTs. for instance a Windows VST plugin won't work on a Mac unless there is a Software program that runs Windows Software.

Ableton Live can run both Mac VSTs and AUs. i always use VST versions of the plugins - if there is a choice - in Ableton because i like to have the choice of sending MIDI from Maschine - or Reaktor - to another Plugin.

sowari

19. spencerday

spencerday NI Product Owner

subsribed

will have a look through this thread later

20. halcyon187

halcyon187 New Member

Nice, cant wait to check this out when I get home.