1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Maschine+ battery bank?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Svenl77, Sep 9, 2020.

1. th_dub

th_dub New Member

For those who don't have a powerbank with a DC out, but the more common PD fast charging solution, be warned that just plugging in a USB cable with an adapter probably won't work. The powerbank won't deliver power until it received a handshake indicating to provide 15V. There is plenty of adapters available from china though that will emulate that handshake. Once I have my M+, I will give this a go.

2. eclipxe

eclipxe NI Product Owner

The Maschine+ won’t power into standalone from the USB anyway, even if you could deliver the 15v. It will only power in controller mode from the usb socket.

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  3. th_dub

th_dub New Member

I was talking about using the USB Out from a power bank (USB-C PD), and connecting it to the DC in from the M+ via an adapter (something like this)

4. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

I put a link to ripcord few messages ago which makes possible 15V from usb battery packs. Check it :)

5. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

this is not an option.. the FAQ clearly indicate the 15V version is limited to 0.8A

6. Mutis

Mutis NI Product Owner

Damn.

7. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Hopefully, NI is providing a recommendation for a 3rd party battery pack ;).
    This would help a lot...

• Like Like x 1
  8. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

9. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

64800mAh? Dang... that will last for like 3 days, why would you need that much juice??

10. Supercreative

Supercreative NI Product Owner

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 30, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 1
  11. th_dub

th_dub New Member

Quick update. I received my M+ yesterday. The linked adapter works like a charm. I have not manager to draw more than 0.6A power @ 15V yet with average projects.

Also, I wouldn't worry about "recommended" battery packs at all. It's universal electronics. There is plenty of power banks out there allowing for PD fast charging, and they will all work with the adapter I linked above.

12. bobbyduracel

bobbyduracel NI Product Owner

I have one of these for Mtn bike trips - always bring it to recharge laptop, GoPro, drone, phones, whatever... You can probably find cheaper "off brand" options which will work just as well. Honestly, because I already own this, when the battery gripe posts started flying around I didn't even care. It's a small, lightweight box which totally solves the problem.

https://www.goalzero.com/shop/portable-power/goal-zero-yeti-200x/

I ran a fun test the other day. Connected my laptop, Push2, external sample drive & headphones and ran the whole thing into just the Goal Zero. It took just about 2 hrs to totally drain (while Ableton played a project the entire time, with tons of tracks and plugs - you get the idea)... and then my laptop (2019 MacBook Pro 15") ran just about another hour with that same setup on zero power. So, if that rig can run 3 hrs I am guessing Maschine PLUS will run way longer on the power block.

13. sephsrot

sephsrot New Member

14. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Should be possible. The only thing I would be affraid (in my case) is, that I would one day mixup output voltage and fried M+.

But it is interesting charger.

It came to my mind, that electric lighter outlet in a car might be also possibly used for charging M+. It has 12 V and plenty of power.

15. sephsrot

sephsrot New Member

i guess i'll stick to the wallwart. i've tried it a couple times and its worked pretty well

16. Koltovich

Koltovich NI Product Owner

Who else has experience with the Maschine+ battery?