1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

MASCHINE EXPANSION PROJECTS

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by AxMusic, Jan 6, 2019.

1. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

Not sure if anyone has ever evaluated the Maschine Expansion projects that come with each Expansion you buy?...
    But my question is how well are those projects mixed? Since they are clearly mixed IN maschine itself. I'm wondering if their up to snuff so to say..(Professional Quality).

2. LoveEnigma

LoveEnigma NI Product Owner

Well, they sound good to me, so I think they are decently mixed.

3. Garf Richards

Garf Richards NI Product Owner

What’s your opinion?

Do they sound well balanced?

Do you like what you hear sonically?

4. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

Yeah, I think they sound very good imo.
    But the reason I asked is even tho the track itself is NOT clipping in maschine
    I exported some tracks out of maschine and into Logic,
    and they WERE clipping in logic. so i'm a little confused...

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Expansions are either made by famous producers or sound design companies, they are competent and sound good although good mixing is highly subjective.
    Most likely you're using drag and drop to export your audio to DAW, if you do the Master FX will be bypassed, if there's a limiter there preventing clipping than the audio most likely will clip. Same goes if you export from Keyboard Mode, not only the Master FX will be bypassed but also the Group FX. To get around this use the export menu, however, a bunch of limited/maximized individual tracks will also clip on the DAW Master once you sum them up.

• Informative Informative x 1
  6. mykejb

mykejb NI Product Owner

Didn't realise that - another useful thing to know thanks!

7. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

So am I doing it wrong? how should I be exporting the track out of maschine, and into logic?

8. LoveEnigma

As D-One said, if you want to bypass the Maschine master FX, use drag and drop to DAW - I guess this would be used most of the time relatively. If you want the "mixed" audio, export from Maschine and then use the file.

9. D-One

You can Solo everything you want to have as an individual Audio track and export several times... A bit annoying but will keep Both Group and Master FX. Although i don't get the point of having your Audio "Mastered" twice, once in Machine then again in DAW. Tracks out for DAW Mixing/Mastering aren't supposed to have Master effects.

10. LoveEnigma

So, does that mean drag and drop is the preferred way to get Maschine audio into DAW?

11. D-One

Depends on the context or what you're trying to do. Are we still talking about Projects that came with Expansions or your own work? What do you want to do in the DAW? Mix/Master/Arrange?

12. LoveEnigma

Sorry, but I was talking about own work here. I want to use Maschine just for fast music creation, ideas and production as such. Everything else in DAW. I may of course want to use some Maschine FX on the "Sounds" as there are really cool, but they will become integral part of the audio. So there are two cases, broadly speaking: one without FX and one with FX.

13. D-One

Ok, I do it like this:
    Solo each Pad and drag and drop while in Pad Mode, this will keep both Sound and Group Level insert FX while disregarding Master FX.
    This means you will have to avoid having a limiter (or anything else) on Maschine Master, since that's for Mastering purposes and you're going to do that in DAW you don't need it anyway, just keep your levels under control and you're fine.

14. LoveEnigma

Alright, thanks for the suggestion. I will try to practice it.

15. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

Hey guys so i wanted to get a final answer to the question...
    I asked if the Projects that come in the Maschine Expansions meet the industry standard in terms of quality?.... (Mainly volume levels)
    For example most of the projects seem to be mixed, and then have a limiter slapped onto the Master. So i'm assuming they have NOT been Mastered in that sense.
    And secondly when I export the track via the Export menu as a master track at 48000HZ in 16 bit... and imported that track via the export folder into Logic it is clipping.
    And if the track is quality why is it clipping? since i'm told clipping is a no no. Unless I'm wrong and clipping is ok, as long as its only the sum of all the tracks that are clipping, and not the individual ones,,,, Please help clarify this for me!!!

Hope this makes sense.

16. D-One

There are no final answers in sort of subject, you have to decide for yourself because there will never be a consensus, it all subjective stuff and some things although wrong can have artistic value. Most people said it sounds good, if they did does it matter if it clips or not? Up to you.

Those are just demos, not professional tracks for an album, their purpose is just to give you a sense of what you can do with the sounds.
    Most professional producers don't Master their own Music so even though the projects are made by "pro" musicians it doesn't mean they are great mastering engineers.

In modern software, if you clip for just a few milliseconds you're warned with a red line, however, that doesn't mean anyone can actually tell it clipped without looking. XXXTENTACION's - Look At Me is super distorted and was a massive hit last year, representing a whole generation and no one who loves it cares if its distorted. Here's Focus talking about mixing in one of the worlds biggest plugin companies channel... notice how everything is clipping: