Maschine Expansions are now just Expansions

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by kb420, Feb 19, 2018.

1. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

It seems as if NI is now marketing Maschine Expansions as just "Expansions", and making them available to anyone. I've always known that all of the samples were .wav. As a matter of fact, I've used Prospect Haze samples directly in Ableton Live several times, but now the move by NI is to market them to the masses. I guess it's a good move by them to create revenue. It really doesn't mean much to me. I think I own every Maschine Expansion any way.

2. davemacp

davemacp NI Product Owner

What's different, apart from the added battery kits?

3. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I just opened my Native Access app, and there are updates for every one of my Expansions. I guess that's to include the "Battery" drum kits. Now, all of the Maschine Drum Kits are available as Battery Kits. That probably should have always been the case.

• Like Like x 2
  4. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I don't think there's anything different. It's just that now, NI can market their expansions to anyone, whether you use Maschine or not.

• Like Like x 1
  5. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I just realized something. NI making this move really makes me not need to open Maschine at all anymore, and here's why......

I have Komplete Kontrol software, even though I don't have a KK keyboard. That allows me to still browse all of Komplete and all NKS plug ins from any DAW that I want.

I could always browse the individual samples, but now, I can have the kits opened in any DAW that I want by using Battery.

The only thing that you lose by not using Maschine anymore is the workflow, Maschine's Drum Synths, and internal instruments and effects. Still, for some people, this may be a way to finally escape the limitations of the Maschine sequencer.

• Like Like x 3
  6. davemacp

I've just started the update process. Amplified Funk is 211mb, the update is 1.5gb! Something more's going on than just new battery kits. Can someone from NI tell us why expansions will take up 8 times the space now?

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. davemacp

Jesus christ, I own every expansion, this is going to kill my hard drive space.

• Funny Funny x 4
    • Like Like x 1
  8. davemacp

So amplified funk is actually 2.15gb once it's installed, haha. You might want to check your hardrive space before updating guys!

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I'm in the process of updating right now. For some reason, Black Arc failed. I keep all of my vst Libraries on a separate drive any way. I'm glad I do. This will kill a lot of hard drives.

10. davemacp

Seems that the extra space comes from the construction kits. Not being a construction kit user, It'd be nice to be able to choose whether to download those or not :/

I 'think' the construction kit files are just bounced versions of the maschine patterns. can anyone at NI confirm? If they are, even more useless HD clutter.

• Like Like x 1
  11. kb420

kb420 NI Product Owner

I saw the video they posted on the website. I think that they took the Maschine midi patterns, and converted them in to audio loops. That may be why the downloads are so much larger now.

12. davemacp

I realise I'm being a bit harsh to NI - sorry guys. It's just frustrating when you force feed us things we don't ask for, and ignore the things we do. Still love ya.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Aldred411

Aldred411 NI Product Owner

The size increase May be due to the pre hear feature

14. davemacp

No, it's definitely down to the construction kits inside the loops folders.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  15. toneyrome

toneyrome NI Product Owner

This will definitely have me toying with audio loops more. I wish they would have tagged the loops with which expansion they are from Like they did in the Massive browser. Prism and Monarch could benefit from this type of organization as well. I see in Battery they are using the expansion name as part of the patch name which helps.

All in all thanks for the free update. You guys made something that I was content with as it was more useful.

• Like Like x 1
  16. skinswashdc

skinswashdc Well-Known Member

17. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

does not want audio loops, i can make those with midi and have more control and render my own loops... in fact, when i get a sample library, do not install or delete the pre-made generic loops if i can. using premade loops is cheating if you are claiming to compose all original from scratch.

does it only add the loops and still installs all the previous material

and this must for sure be a cluster---k of a server overload for NA, especially since many will download these several times for each computer and not save the installers for that...

Last edited: Feb 19, 2018
    • Like Like x 2
  18. RajahP

RajahP NI Product Owner

Well,I guess it is time for an iMaschine update..

• Like Like x 1
  19. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  20. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

Can someone with a lot of Maschine projects using expansions let me know if they have any issues upgrading? I am afraid of screwing up my carefully crafted projects due to bugs in the new versions.. still not really clear how much has changed.