Maschine+ feature requests

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by walerandei, Oct 8, 2020.

1. walerandei

walerandei NI Product Owner

Taking the "computer free" nature of the Maschine+ (I asume that's the main reason to buy this Maschine version), it would be nice to have a "feature request" post dedicated because some things maybe different in oposition of mk3. Don't you think so? :)

After a week of use ... I can see that the Maschine+ needs an internal "file manager".
    If I choose the Maschine+ over the mk3 version, it is because I don´t want a computer involved in the process. And it is imposible to manage files in the machine without an external computer (storage mode). It is necesary to be able to delete / rename / move files and of course create or navigate folders in the Maschine+ OS. I think it is a basic thing in a stand-alone musicbox. More if it is planed to use an external HD or SSD.

At the same time it would be nice to be able to load files from locations defined by the user for each project (for example: a folder created by the user using the "file manager" ;) ).

What do you think?

• Like Like x 10
  2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Absolutely! I'll move this thread to the main Maschine forum since Mas+ is new, this way the current owners can see it more easily and share their thoughts.

I mentioned all this privately with folks @ NI about a week ago, I'll repeat it here:

In MAS+ we need some form of file-management for User Content, at least delete and rename*, on the computer version we can right-click things on the browser and delete them, we need this for the Standalone. Actually, quite a few functions that require a mouse on the computer software version need to be ported somehow to the Standalone. On this particular topic here's what I think it's needed ASAP:

- *Renaming filenames of what we record/sample - or we fill our user browser with audio files named 2020348581004T142304.wav, there's loads of other reasons other than aesthetics, too many to list. On the computer we can rename wav files in the Sampling Menu.

- Allow users some control over User Content locations - Expansions are enough for some people not all, some of us care a lot about having our content displayed under their own thumbnail and properly organized under a certain structure.

- Save Project with samples - for computer compatibility without having "Missing Samples"

- Full blown file manager? - Besides delete and rename add > move, create folders, copy, etc... Personally, I don't need this, I am OK with using a computer to organize content when more complicated actions are required but then again I always have a computer around and don't mind using it but a portion of the Standalone userbase probably feels differently so it's worth considering.

- A way to search by text - With millions of sounds and presets available I'd like to be able to this, I wouldn't use it often as typing on a standalone is a pain but having it as an option as opposed to going thru a huge alphabetical list is needed.

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
    • Like Like x 8
  3. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

As a solo (Flamenco) guitarist:

1. Implementation of GR6 Plug-in
    2. General USB audio interface for external audio cards (e.g. Boss GT-1000, Line 6 Hx Stomp)
    3. Compatibility with Maschine Jam
    4. Bluetooth transmission (use for "wireless" backing tracks with compatible amps)

Last edited: Oct 10, 2020
  4. fmq

fmq NI Product Owner

definitely +1 for proper file management.

5. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

More audio inputs

6. skhm

skhm NI Product Owner

This has an SD card, right? But no file manager whatsoever? I don't get it. Is it a preset player?

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. Dstep ATL

Dstep ATL NI Product Owner

Split event. So you can divide a hi hat note into subdivisions for example. Akai and FL studio have this, great for trap and drill.

a tuner plugin (reaktor maybe?) to check pitch of sample or guitar.

cloud supply and lofi glow

chorale (need a great chorus, although the stock chorus + grain delay is an amazing combo).

file management has already been said, search especially

support for Komplete Kontrol so we can use the scale and chord features from the keyboard. That’s a big one for me.

• Like Like x 1
  8. thegreenman

thegreenman NI Product Owner

I agree with a lot D-One said, Im just working with and reviewing the device.

There is some search symbol but i was very surprised i wasnt able to search sounds alphabetically

Also Groups and Sounds are renamable, but not Scenes as far as I understand

For a long time Ive been trying to love maschine more, I really studied it and did tutorials and I admit I always ended up using things in software cause I guess thats what I am used to and thats where this product leads me. I do want to use hardware and myy background is working with an Emu E 4X as production center. Now with Maschine I have the strong desire to try out this opportunity to work standalone.

I am so tired of connecting things to a computer and waiting for it to start. So I am really interested in to work with it consequently 100% without a Computer. This is what Im trying now. But this also reveals all the weaknesses of the Standalone GUI. Honestly I find it really hard to remember all the tricks and the manual is not good, so some kind of Help menu would be nice, but more importantly a different guiding in menus showing with which button I can get back to which menu etc.

Yes, regarding Browser I agree with D-One, we need a few improvements, but maybe not a full File Browser. I dont want a computer, I like dedicated purposes. So why not have a user folder to put things in, yes, we should be able to somehow group the content in folder or by tagging or whatever....Id like to access and transfer or export content thru wifi so I can continue to enjoy not having to connect things...or to remove sd cards etc. I like the design and simplicity in general

But apart from that my thoughts are...

The same knob is Tune for Group if i hit a group button that otherwise tweaks tempo... Its a great feature to be able to tune the whole group, but shouldnt it be easier to find when I access the group etc...
    Song and Ideas are different views, but if I once hit the button with shift, it remains in that view, but dont get a sign for this. Meanwhile I get it, at the beginning it was confusing
    How to move a playhead ? Is there ffwd, rewind or so.....I move the 4-axis knob to select and move, but how to deselect or select all....
    Can i not have a sample play "looping" and latched without using the sequencer? I have to check some features, isnt there a gate mode, but ..no latch/trig options?
    After I change a section length, i cant revert this to "auto"

etc

I guess Im talking about Maschine things in general here, but its cause I really want to give this a shot and totally work without the computer (otherwise I wouldnt need Maschine + I suppose, so thats what this product is about). So lets give this some time, its a fresh approach and it is mature enough to be released, but of course I hope those simple things that are missing wont be missing for long....one never knows nowadays...everything is possible....there are many products out there that are so close to being really good, but very few little things destroy a lot in my opinion...Im optimistic with M+ though...

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. eriser

eriser NI Product Owner

MIDI learn

• Like Like x 2
  10. sephsrot

sephsrot New Member

Sleep mode.

11. fmq

fmq NI Product Owner

1-click freeze function

• Like Like x 7
  12. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Stop the red power off light from constantly blinking when off

• Like Like x 4
  13. Dstep ATL

Dstep ATL NI Product Owner

yes absolutely

• Like Like x 1
  14. mojiross

mojiross New Member

+1 Implementation of GR6 Plug-in
    Guitar tuner plugin.

• Like Like x 2
  15. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Recording / recognising system exclusive data :D

• Like Like x 1
  16. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Map incoming midi notes to sounds not just groups

17. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yes, everything you said apart from file management/rename applies to the MK3, Studio, maybe even the MK2, etc... Your difficulties seem to be more related to the fact that you're new(?) to Maschine in general

Just like changing DAW's going from Software to Standalone (or hw only) takes quite a bit of time to transition, it's like learning a new instrument, there's a userbase that pretty much already only used the Mk3/Studio without barely touching the computer and even tho I was not in this user category in around a month of using Mas+ I think I've adapted ok-ish. As yous said just give it some time.

That's to recall whatever search methods you used to load the current sound, it also focuses the browser list on the loaded sound, useful to replace sounds with the same tags and such.

You can rename in the Scene Menu triggered by the button next to the Pads, however, you cannot be focused in Song Mode, press IDEAS/Song hold shift and return focus to Ideas View. So this is just an oversight/bug I think but it highlights an old Focus problem where it's hard for the user to know where he is at, even in the software version focus has issues and causes quirks.

That's the thing, the more features one packs into a standalone the more it starts becoming not so different from a computer; if it's too cluttered and bloated than it's literally the same; this is why I said i didn't particularly want a full-blown file manager, just the minimum.

What do you mean? There is a user folder, it's just not very flexible atm.

You're thinking of it as a general Group tune but it only tunes the Sampler and Audio Module within the Group.
    If you're working on a Sample-based Group often having all Pads selected and just setting the parameter in one sampler so it applies to all is more practical, it depends on workflow preferences tho.

Shift+4D Encoder moves the playhead.
    No, I don't think there is ffwd/rewind, if moving the playhead by Bars is not really necessary imo.

Assuming you're in the Events Menu there is an ALL and NONE option when Select Mode is engaged.

Put your Sample in an Audio Module and it loops continuously.. It also has a Gate Mode.
    Note Repeat/ARP has latch, not sure if thats what you talking about tho.

Correct, I no idea why.

18. Mariana @ NI

Mariana @ NI Product Manager at Native Instruments NI Team

Hi all!

Just wanted to say we are listening and this is all super useful. Thanks for sharing!

And thanks Diego for all the clarifications above.

• Like Like x 16
  19. walerandei

Nice! Let's talk about it. ;)

I agree ...
    I would like to say that may it be interesting to have a way to say to Maschine+ where we want to SAVE our files (specially audio samples / loops). A location defined by the user. For example ... I like to save each projects inside a folder including presets, sounds, samples and so ... That's a fine way to have all involved in a project in a unique place. So you can make a Backup just coping the folder or if you want to share the project beetwen PC (mk3), and Maschine+ (or viceversa), you just need to copy / move a unique folder.

Agree.
    It would be nice to define a specific location to store everything involved for each project. A setting area that covers all about the project or something similar.

Well ... This maybe a short fix to replace all we are talking about in this post (manage files and locations).

Well ... I understand your point.
    But in my case (and I only speak for myself, of course), I've purchased the Maschine+ because I need a musical tool free of computer ... sometimes I go to a house in the mountains and I love the idea to have a Maschine without the computer, the mouse and the big screens. Or maybe do some music with a friend in his house or another situation where there's no place for a near computer.
    So I'll love if Maschine+ may edit the files, copy, delete and move them without the computer. Those 2345777248294242748.wav files makes me hate the situation where I can`t delete or rename the files. :rolleyes:

This one is very usefull.
    Another fix maybe (in Load screen), to use SHIFT + ENCODER to jump beetwen letters ( A - B - C - D and so ...). If you don´t press SHIFT the encoder just goes one by one the files. :)

Salud!

• Like Like x 1
  20. walerandei

A question, because I can`t find it in the hardware.
    Is there a way to adjut / set the "sync" of a project in Maschine+ ???? (change to Scene - 1 Bar - 1/2 - 1/4 ... ).

THanks in advance. ;)