1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Maschine+ feature requests

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by walerandei, Oct 8, 2020.

1. thegreenman

thegreenman NI Product Owner

thanks D-One...
    good replies...
    and thanks Ariana for listening..

I found a few more little things:
    In the manual, it says push settings to access storage mode, but it's: settings/system

Ive experimented a bit trying to load sounds. Obviously one can move samples to User content or to Maschine 2/Sounds (thats what the manual says). Maschine 2/Samples makes more sense to me for samples and yes, they show up in M+ if i put them there too- even if I use my own subfolders. So this helps a bit. However after installing a few libraries the list of samples gets long, so may the user sample list.. so since i cant see self-made folders in the browser in M+ it would be essential if tagging was possible within the hardware to improve some kind of order with own sounds. I tagged in software and that was kept, but favorite markers got lost. Right now its good with Library content, but ...I guess everyone wants own stuff in there. Another option would be to show self-made folders, id be fine with that, its less work than tagging. Or just access. for loading, like in a normal browser, ive seen the pioneer people brought dropbox integration for rekordbox, id love that on maschine too...

re: Note Repeat/ARP has latch, not sure if thats what you talking about tho.

No, id like to have a sample toggled/latched that can then play as long as it loops, unless i toggle it off. But of course its just a minor thing for a special situation or creative idea

I wasnt able to load an own Kontakt patch or a non-player library, be it older or younger. I was able to load carbon and lazerbass, but other ensembles i tried didnt show up...

Ive been deep into Maschine a few years ago, but recently worked with other stuff like Logic, Ableton and a lot of other Hardware.. so im taking a look at it now with a bit more distance....and some things are just so normal if youre working with it for long time, but if you dont some things are really confusing. Sometimes its Sections , then Scene, then Song ..or Arrange, some things dont work in some modes but where do i see which mode im in? Things could be easier...but sure, they could be too on other Devices. ;-) But Maschine is a real chameleon, in ways its really easy, in others i find it really complicated...especiallly since things keep changing...but Im excited about the hardware only approach and curious how this will develop

Last edited: Oct 11, 2020
  2. imagevoice

imagevoice NI Product Owner

second lfo for the sampler - I need this on every synth/sampler für cutoff "and" panning at the same time <3

3. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Pattern List editor

Maschine remote ( like logic remote )

• Like Like x 1
  4. thegreenman

MIDI Change, is it on or off, where can it be set in M+ only? In general, this is my favorite way to work together with Maschine and Logic - by just triggering its scenes with Logic. It could make sense to trigger M+ Scenes via MIDi from an external DAW instead of loading the plug-in. I havent tried it out, but i cant find it in the manual.

Page 178 says „Make a section unique“. I find this confusing, isn’t this talking about making a Scene unique or shouldn’t it say that it makes the Section unique by making the Scene unique?

Looping a section on the hardware and Finetuning the Loop range is possible via. Shift + Restart Loop, didnt find it in the manual

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

This is very unlikely to happen, the only thing you need to port over from Mas+ to PC are custom samples, everything else is stored inside the project, or loaded from libraries, moving a bunch of extra stuff seems like an unnecessary complication for little to no benefit.

If you decide to put each project on its own folder and follow your own structure you will have a ton of extra work each time you save anything as you will have to point that specific folder.... and you will also have to add all those project folders as a PC User Content path folders so they are displayed in the Browser, or add a main folder with a bunch of project folders, you will have mess up the browser as it will read a lot of content based on the project sub-folder name, making you have a ton of subbands (one per project)....

Maschine has a main "User Content" folder and it has it's own structure of organization, with subfolders for different things like Projects, Samples, Sounds, FX, etc... It's the same on Mas+, this makes it easy to port things between computer and Mas+, messing with this established system is a bad idea IMO.

Do you really want to navigate around a file structure, on a tiny screen every time you want to save a little thing on a standalone? Sounds like a PITA to me.

6. D-One

Afaik this is the mouse only feature category and none of those are on Mas+ yet.

No problem :thumbsup:
    You earned my respect by asking instead of making a review full of mistakes and assumptions like 99.9% of the YouTubers. :D BTW, where can we check your reviews?

It can't, another mouse/file-menu option, so not here yet.

I must say I find it super weird you want to trigger Scenes/Section on a Standalone thru a DAW, isn't the whole point of Mas+ get rid of the DAW? If you want that why not just use it in Controller Mode and either Use Maschine as a plugin or its standalone-application? MIDI change for a standalone only makes sense to me if you're using an external MIDI device to trigger it but I guess we all have different views.

No, you're misunderstanding the real meaning of "unique".
    All Scenes are unique while Sections can be repeated thru the timeline, making a Section unique duplicates the current Patterns (so you can edit it) and consequently creates a new Scene too.

The Mas+ manual is 20% the size of the MK3 manual, so don't expect to find everything there yet, NI manuals for complicated devices slowly grow / get updated, I'm surprised there even is a manual this early tbh...

That's how it was when the unit was released, then it changed, the manual needs to be updated.

Tagging on the Hardware without multi selection would take decades tho, the amount of tags is huge, I can't even imagine the pain it would be to do such a thing. IMO NI should have a dedicated tagging software, even tagging on the computer version of maschine is a PITA due to the small size of the edit window.

A file-browser like there is on the desktop version? I think a lot of people would like that.

That's what the Audio Module is for, it's basically a loop player. Have you tried it?

Same results here too, this is why NI isn't officially stating this as a feature, a lot needs to be ironed out and explained before custom Kontakt/Reaktor is a thing atm we are all just blindly experimenting to see what works, a bit painful.

Yes... The computer screen helps a lot with understanding a lot of functionality, without it focus is indeed confusing especially after Clips was introduced.

Last edited: Oct 12, 2020
  7. thegreenman

…thx..!

I am more a writer for several mags and I did write some books, but I plan to do /there are a few little vids on my labels page youtube.com/basswerkrec. Ill let you know when the review is ready…

With Dropbox Integration I don’t necessarily mean a regular File Browser. Dropbox Content could be like an own library that scans quickly. Ive only installed a few libs but already now if I add new files via storage mode, re-scan takes quite long. Thats my main problem with Maschine and Komplete Kontrol, I have so many plug ins and if I don’t use them for a while and just got an hour for making music….there is no chance I can get to the point with them since I can’t avoid the plug in scan. Thas why I like a limited M+, still I want to be able to load own stuff quickly.

Hmmm… re Scenes/Sections

Manual talks about making Scenes and Sections unique. When they are in a section - and they may be I different sections….you can make the Scene unique..and the Section too…
    which somehow may be the same thing I guess in a way…but then maybe not, there are also linked Sections….puuh… not sure if I totally get it...or if you are wrong...since the manual lists both separately for makin them unique….

Midi change would be nice so I don’t have to do the back and forth thing for every „try“ if I want to keep working in M+…+ arrange stuff in Logic….later on my Midi notes in Logic could trigger the same things in M software

…honestly if there is a manual I take it serious.....

Btw is it possible to create default sampler settings for m+?

…Tagging should include selecting multiple samples….as said, I d really like to avoid the whole back and forth thing as much as possible
    ...and for naming they should allow us to connect a simple Keyboard on usb a

…the Audio Module is great, hadnt played with it enough yet…really cool!

And im not sure…the manuals says Projects are always stored with the samples

8. D-One

Rescan searches for your User content first, then it scans for libraries - So if you only care about what you added to the SD it should be ready way before the full scans ends. Also, a faster SD card improves scan time significantly, Mas+ ships with a lower-end card.

Me, wrong? BLASPHEMY! :D
    My bad, I forgot about Scene duplication...

So, unique for Scenes is only an option when you have 2 Scenes with the same content (active patterns), even tho they are basically two different Scenes. Generally, there's no reason to have two Scenes with exactly the same content but if you duplicate a Scene to make changes, then they do have the same content and 'make it unique becomes available (which just dupes the active patterns but doesn't actually create a new Scene, it uses the one you duped).

afaik that's another mouse only feature.

Where does it say that?
    "Samples" is too vague, if it's recorded/sampled directly then they are stored in the Recordings User folder. If you load a User Sample than then its where you loaded it from, if its from a library then its in the library folder, if it's from a library and you destructively edit it will be in User Samples folder, regardless none of it is 'stored with the projects' in the sense of self-containing wavs inside the project file, at best you "save project with samples" which makes a subfolder with a copy of all the samples.

9. thegreenman

Re: Save Project with Samples...7.2.3 Page 41 says:
    ..Press Button 8 SAVE AS....Press ENTER to save the Project and its samples
    Yes, Im also not sure whether this is only newly recorded stuff or also library content. Anyway, the newly recorded Sample ended up in a folder beneath the Project with Samples! I cant remember though if I saved the project beforehand.

Re Rescan
    Yes, i noticed my own stuff is shown immediately. Nevertheless I dont like so much if it keeps scanning the whole time, although there may not be a disadvantage. I know they changed that recently for the software in general (so you can work while it scans). However, it would be nice if it would be possible to tell M+ to scan only a certain Folder.. or two or three

....same goes for Maschine software regarding Plug-Ins: The solution would be to say: Please only scan these Plug-Ins. I started workin without Plug Ins, but then a lot of sounds wont load, cause NI stuff is missing. Its horrible. Trying to define a dedicated maschine plug-In folder is pain too, cause all updates would need to be reinstalled manually....but yes, thats not an M+ topic (yet). But maybe it is, since M+ opens a new world of simplicity regarding Plug-In Installations - which makes it usable! - and I wish I could have the same (optional) in normal Maschine. I have to say though that currently my Maschine software works fine too now, all scans are done now....but it took me very long...

Re Scenes...
    I think unique for Scenes is relevant, if you have the same scene in different sections and want to change one.
    Unique for Sections would be if you have the same Section twice? Not sure
    Seems like...even you and me cant write it down proper that easy...cause its so confusing.
    What was the main purpose to introduce Sections? Maybe the flexibility and length definition?

btw I was able to have M+ recognize Kontakt .nkis by putting them into the Maschine 2 Sounds Folder...including samples and associated libraries

I wish I could Tag them easily...one idea how it could be done could be: allow via shift browser to enter a mode called "define tag". Now select a tag, however detailed it may be. Afterwards, instead of a Favorite * things can be marked with that new tag.....until i leave that mode

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
  10. D-One

I'm not saying it's irrelevant.
    One of the reasons for confusion could be the terminology, it was introduced when Jam/Ideas View came out, naming convention was questioned a the time... Anyway maybe this helps:
    Ideas View = Scenes
    Arranger = Sections

Scene 1 is in several places, if you want to make it unique it will be Scene 2.
    Technically when looking at this what we see are Sections, altho they are named as Scenes (because they reference Ideas View, confusing? Yes! lol)
    [​IMG]

Scenes here, in Ideas, are all unique, you cant have Scene 1 in more than once; it's truly non-linear, unless you duplicate it but even if you do another number is attached at the end of the name (Scene #), so it's also "unique".... While in Sections (pic above) can be repeated, same #.
    [​IMG]
    Make Unique for Scenes/Ideias just duplicates all active patterns to new ones so they can be edited.

I can't explain it any better than this.
    I have no idea why NI went with this Scenes/Section terminology, it's confusing and not very consistent, add Clips on top and it gets worst... Looking at it visually makes it easier to understand than putting it into text words tho.

Attached Files:

11. fmq

fmq NI Product Owner

Request: level metering for the fx (compressor,limiter etc) and the master out(!)
    Currently i record arm sample input and choose"internal" to see the master level.Well... :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Jon Watte

Jon Watte NI Product Owner

Downloading expansions take forever compared to my regular computer. I don't think it's the wifi's fault, it might actually be the SD card being too slow. That, or NI had a really bad internet day. Also, after download, "installing" takes for-EVER. It just doesn't feel like a system made in the twenty-first century while waiting for those things.
    Is there an M.2 slot on that cute little Conga board on the inside? If so, can we get some support for jamming reasonable storage in there?

I'd also like to be able to plug in a small travel QWERTY keyboard for naming things. Naming things is important, and using the clicky-stick-wheel to come up with names is a real flow breaker.

The built-in reverb really isn't to my taste. I think Raum will be better, but I have to figure out how to make all the different expansions use that instead of what they have. This will be ... a lot of manual editing. Some "global replace" functionality for the reverb setting? Also, some global replacement of per-sound effects that really need to go to bussed effects to get some of the CPU power back? I'm at three groups and 70% load!

Also, how do I get the metronome to keep counting after the lead-in when recording?I tried shift-play, but that doesn't seem to do anything, so I imagine that's only for the very old software versions? Solved: Shift-Tap does it!

13. Kirpesniemi

Kirpesniemi New Member

Shift + Tap [Metro] doesn't work like in MK3?

• Like Like x 1
  14. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I know what you mean and it's not the quickest for those things, but you can continue using it while things are downloading and installing.

It's been discussed, requested, and is being considered. Hopefully we will see that and a number of other relatively small but important fixes/updates soon...

There are several stock reverbs (Reverb, Metaverb, Ice, Reflex), which are all quite different.

Not for the use-case you describe, as I'm not sure how useful that would really be... A reverb might not be to your taste on one sound/expansion, but might work perfectly on another. And, as above, there's not just one built-in reverb.
    HOWEVER, I have suggested a similar feature for when transferring Projects from a computer to M+ that would allow what you describe and to replace plugins with M+ compatible ones.

This seems a little strange, as the resulting sound in a lot of cases when changing from inserts to returns will be different, sometimes dramatically. And I think in most cases, just switching this manually will be a lot easier and more flexible than having to tweak settings to do it semi-automatically. Just use the sounds/expansions and change/tweak what you don't like.

Exactly. It does.

15. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

Agreed. When something is hard to explain in words, it's typically not well thought out. "Don't make me think" again ;)

For me, at least what I understand now after a few weeks of Maschine mk3:

- scenes are combinations of patterns, with a limit of a single pattern playing per group
    - sections are parts of a song that are built up from a single scene, but can be independent of the original scene length, they can be shorter or longer than the linked scene.
    - both scenes and sections are approached the same as patterns, ie they can be "linked": if you change something on the original pattern/scene/section, all the linked ones are also updated.
    - In a song, you can duplicate a section. This will create a *new* scene with the *same* patterns linked in it as the original scene, and automatically add this new scene to the song as a section with the same length as the original section.
    - If you make a section in a song "unique", it will create a new scene with in it new copies of all the patterns of the original scene, which now can be changed without affecting the original patterns or scene.

16. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

From a quick read, the rest seems accurate, but this? What do you mean?

• Like Like x 1
  17. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

you're right, will edit above, tnx!

18. D-One

Visual Feedback for FX is one of those things that people request often, i'd love that, especially for menus that just waste the screen space with a big thumbnail, with a standalone i want this even more than before..

It doesn't need to be as fancy as in a Push for example, even a basic version would be cool.

[​IMG]

• Like Like x 1
  19. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

agreed. It makes total sense with f.e. a compressor or limiter to see how hard it's working so the threshold can be adjusted accordingly.

20. fmq

fmq NI Product Owner

oh yeah,don‘t let me think of graphic eq curves.Would love this as well :)

• Like Like x 2