1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine Hardware Mk1 vs Mk2

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by OneTwenty, Sep 24, 2012.

1. OneTwenty

OneTwenty New Member

Hey all,

I've been wanting to upgrade from my Maschine Mikro for quite some time now. I love the Mikro, but I want to have more control over the software (and at LEAST be able to record automation w/o the mouse). I think it's bs that you can't use an external MIDI controller to control functions in Maschine. I'm debating on selling my Maschine Mikro and upgrading to either the Maschine Mk1, possibly the Mk2.

After looking around and trying to do some research, I simply cannot figure out what the difference in the hardware is between the Mk1 and Mk2 besides colored LEDs and customizable faceplates. Neither of those really matter to me, and I don't care for the rainbow look.

So, my question is, what are the key feature differences in the Mk1 hardware and the new Mk2, besides aesthetics?

2. TraumaBeatsDrama

TraumaBeatsDrama NI Product Owner

color organization, supposedly better pads, slight clicking on non-drum pad buttons. and the main wheel now clicks for precise editing of volumes and such.

thats all i can think of

3. grillabeatz

grillabeatz Forum Member

Pretty much nailed it on the head. The increased pad sensitivity and new encoder are cool. Don't sell short the colored LEDs. They may look gimmicky in the product photo, but that is just because they wanna showcase the different light colors. It is much more pragmatic for organizing your samples for live performance.

4. TraumaBeatsDrama

also, they are not as "rainbow" as people keep making them out. they are photo shopped to make them brighter in the ads. they are actually pretty mellow colors for rgb. they might look awesome in the dark though!

5. coldmachine

coldmachine NI Product Owner

Inverted screens too, which is a pretty major improvement for me.

6. 23kon

23kon Forum Member

It's also got the same click-in USB connector that the Mikro has.
    The mk1 has a USB connector that can easily be pulled out.

7. OneTwenty

OneTwenty New Member

Awesome! Thanks guys.

Apparently the Guitar Center in my area has started accidentally sold the Mk2 already! :D I called to ask about the price of the Mk1 with the Mk2 coming out and the dude said that in my home state of MN we've got about 150 of them that got sold.

As for me, I'm probably going to sell my Mikro and get the Mk1. The software is the biggest part of this for me and I think the Mk1 can handle anything I throw at it.

Speaking of which, is 1.8 out? Or will that be released the day the Mk2 is supposed to be released?

PS - I can probably get some Mk2s for those who don't want to wait. Let me know if you're interested. I'll only ask a small finder's fee.

8. kcearl

kcearl NI Product Owner

Screens look brilliant, also like the idea of clicking encoders

but as I said on an earlier thread I wont be upgrading...on midi mode I use the three master knobs for fine volume and pan controls...also the master volume...a click encoder would make this less flexible...and once Ive made a beat, I use the hardware as a controller far more than anything else, with an ipad (v control) and a launchpad, its excellent

I actually didnt think of this as I havent mixed anything in months...so Ill be sticking with MkI and whatever updates it still works with

9. OneTwenty

OneTwenty New Member

All the GC's in my area are running Maschine 1.8, I had a chance to check it out, but I couldn't find a time stretch function.

If there isn't a time-stretch feature with the new software I might consider ditching my Maschine. :(

10. TraumaBeatsDrama

11. b-righteous

b-righteous Moderator Moderator

Are you serious? eye roll.

12. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

You should get the Internet; it's really good, apparently

13. senecax

senecax Forum Member

YEs, this is a main issue with my maschine mk1, in live situations with much vibration the usb cable often lose the connection, and doesnt react until replug the usb cable.

Has anyone a solution for it?

14. Cicatrix

Cicatrix Forum Member

research much?

15. Jiggz

Jiggz New Member

Hardware Only

I'd love to upgrade to MK2 for the new display screen, pads etc..can anyone tell me if I will be able to buy the new hardware only anytime soon?

16. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Official word is no

17. tom_brookman

tom_brookman New Member

The new pads on MK2 are better than the old ones but the whole controller is produced cheaper on the MK2:

It just has one thin aluminium plate (which you can exchange into different colored ones) while the old one had a solid aluminium frontplate. This is definetly a step BACK to save cost and the build quality is lower. :-(

Too bad I already sold my MK1.

18. Feerlyss

Feerlyss NI Product Owner

actually this is a no brainer, the Mk2 is the way to go if you have the cash. the master encoder works brilliantly and does not hamper your speed at all. inverted screens blow the old ones out of the water. pads feel excellent and are more sensitive (drum rollers unite!). the colored pads really play into the live musician's world, but the producer will love it as well. Auto Write Pinning gives you two hands to automate with. NEW USB INPUT IS GENIUS, no way you will be accidentally unplugging this thing! Clicking buttons are far superior, you won't know until you have used them how much better this is. Choke function is amazing. So if you have the cash, you would be crazy not to jump on Mk2, not to mention that the full advantages of Mk2 aren't all gonna be realized until Maschine V.2 software comes out, so buyer beware, saving a few hundred to buy the old controller may leave you hanging in the breeze on key features when version 2 drops next year...

19. TabSel

TabSel NI Product Owner

Never thought a screen inversion can do THAT!

Amaaaaazing!

lol

20. 23kon

23kon Forum Member

I think V.2 will probably mean a new controller. Just a hunch.