Maschine hw with KK plugin?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by BobF3, Jul 19, 2019.

1. BobF3

BobF3 NI Product Owner

Considering either Maschine MK3 or KK S61.

I see that KK S61 can be used with both Maschine and KK sw. Is the same true for the Maschine hw?

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

No not that deep like with the keyboard and maschine but you don't need that, you can use maschine also like kk plugin and use several instances and only trigger them from your daw. But you could map maschine in midi mode as controller, the option only appears if no kk keyboard is connected.

Uwe

3. BobF3

BobF3 NI Product Owner

Thanks. No performance concerns using Maschine VST this way compared to KK VST? Use will be either Studio One or Reaper.

Going the other way, what capability does Mascnine hw have that KK S61 doesn't have when using the Maschine sw? I understand the diff between keys and pads, I'm wondering if the KK S61 would have the same control over Maschine sw functions.

4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I "only" own an A49, so I don't know exactly the differences to the s series. But from keyboard you don't have the step sequencer, can't edit single notes so nothing to worry about if you use a daw to trigger it. Only thing is that you can't automate fx from host with kk software only the first plugin (maybe wrong?then please someone correct me) but with maschine you can. And if you use maschine as you would use kk plugin, one instrument and fx the CPU consumption is the same. And maschine has the advantages of an own sampler you can have one on every pad and add fx. In kk software you could use battery but it does then not have the same possibilities fx wise on every sound internally.

Uwe

5. BobF3

BobF3 NI Product Owner

Thanks again!

6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

It's also important to know if you are a keyboard player? Maybe buy a maschine first and later like me a A49 or an S49 or whatever. If you already have a good workflow with your daw then I would suggest the keyboard. And for beats the micro Mk3 later?

Uwe

7. BobF3

BobF3 NI Product Owner

Thanks uwe ...

Here is where I am:
    Long time traditional DAW user; SONAR, Reaper, Studio One. Not really a keyboard player, but I use a keyboard/controller for non-guitar parts. I added K11U last year and upgraded to to K12UCE this year.

I have also been experimenting with new (to me) music styles using FL Studio. My biggest challenge is to simplify my use of K12. Not just previewing/selecting, but also parameter tweaking. I like my current keyboard (Nektar LX61+) but mapping knobs and such for umpteen instruments/FX drains away my will to live ;)

Since I like my keyboard/controller I was hoping a Maschine Mk3 would fill in for me without obsoleting gear I already have.

If a Maschine MK3 could be used for preview/select/tweak via the KK VST while playing/recording with my existing keyboard I would already have one.

I'm certainly interested in the Maschine sw, but ...

At this point I guess the KK S49 or S61 make the most sense for me. Of course as soon as I order, Maschine will be updated to work with KK :D

I'm not in a huge hurry, so I'll keep mulling it over to see what other details I uncover

Thanks for your views ... much appreciated

8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

9. BobF3

BobF3 NI Product Owner

Very cool, I had no idea. My quick test worked OK but Next is loading and instead of previewing ... I need to spend more time with it to see what I can do.

This *might* get me by on the keyboard side for a while so I can experiment with the Maschine.

Although ... I'm starting to think that maybe S61 + Mikro is the way to go long term.

Uwe - thank you very much for taking the time to point out options. You're helping me think this thru instead of doing yet another, "Ready, Fire, Aim!!" ;)

10. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

You are welcome

Uwe

11. BobF3

BobF3 NI Product Owner

I went ahead and ordered a Maschine MK3. YOLO ;)

12. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Haha cool welcome to the family

• Like Like x 2
  13. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

As you seem OK on the keyboard front I'd say that was a good decision. Maschine MK3 is far better at the moment to use with the software. I have a S61 Mk2 but still do most things on the Mk3 as I prefer pads and it is so much easier to do most things on it. The Mikro is so limited in what you can do on it that it's too frustrating to use with the S 61 as a total solution. :)

• Like Like x 1