1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Maschine Jam mackie profile and commands explanation?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by darshie76, Sep 18, 2019.

1. darshie76

darshie76 NI Product Owner

Trying to run the Jam as Mackie for Logic and Studio one; although the mackie light is not really working as expected, mixing both mack and CC commands; and there is not really any sort of guidance nor documentation about what are the various options when using the jam as mackie.

I figured out some controls because changing numbers when assigning controls in the controller editor, does show the actual name of the control; but some are unclear about what they actually do, and I could not find on the Jam page, any download or info in the manual.

Is there a profile for Logic or Studio one, to use the Jam as mackie device? And is NI planning to make a formal document for the Jam, to explain what all those CC and controls do? Thanks

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

This isn´t easy to answer, the problem is that the mackie control works different for every daw. Only the main functions are equal but in the case of the v pots same for all daws in itself but case sensitive. you can only reverse engineer it with some manuals and informations found online.
    And i guess that is why native "only" delivers tansport and mixer controls cause they always work in any daw.
    So the describtions given in control editor are the ones printed on the original MCU but like i said not completely working that wy for every daw.
    I made a maschine studio template myself for cubase this were some documents that helped me a lot
    http://web.archive.org/web/20080126093602/http://members.aol.com/mhigrules/MCMap.htm
    https://forum.cockos.com/showthread.php?t=101328
    and the manual for the mcu for the specific daw - don´t forget there is an overlay for every daw so the knob names differ like mentioned!!!

Uwe

3. darshie76

darshie76 NI Product Owner

Thanks UWE for the reply.
    As anything with music midi instruments, nothing seems to be easy :p I thought Mackie standard was a way to get the same signal with the same result on any DAW that support it; but it seems that it is not. At least the Jam editor allow me to mix up CC controls with MCU commands; so I should be able to manage in that way.

I was reading the doc you posted, and got confused :) what are the actual parameters you put in the controller editor? I get the MCU commands because that is just one number, but for other controls there are like 4 or 5 parameters; which is so confusing. The manual does not help either.

I have to get the MCU manual for Studio one and Logic then; whatever else is not supported, will have to do it through CC and midi-learn; but at least it is a good start.

I guess now I understand why there are no profiles for the Maschine Jam on this forum at all; because each DAW is different and as such; each profile would end up being different anyway, so everyone write their own :)

4. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

If there are several controls with the same name - they are in fact not the same, like v pot 1 - 8, or the pitch bends are send on different midi channels 1 to 9, where 1 to 8 is selected channels 1 to 8 or 9 to 16 and so on and pb on channel 9 is master volume, and what maybe also confuses you the mcu commands are just midi note on messages so you can also use midi notes to trigger them and the daw then only listens to note on and ignores note off signal. I also had once a table with all the messages for all daws if I find it I will send it to you but it's on my main computer.

But once you've got it it's really powerful even if it's an old standard.

Uwe

Last edited: Sep 19, 2019