1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Maschine Jam out of stock.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mark Schwenk, Apr 19, 2020.

1. RayAlpha

RayAlpha New Member

NI, bring out a Jam MK2

2. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Just remember that you are always taking a chance with a product that has any level of maturity but let's not forget3 very important things:
    1. Kore
    2. D2
    3. S5
    Nuff said

• Like Like x 2
  3. Felipe Paiva

Felipe Paiva NI Product Owner

No worries if NI discontinues Jam, but provides us another controller which helps change patterns on the fly and easily!! It is impossible to do with Mashcine MK3...

• Like Like x 1
  4. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

You're either doing something wrong or have a different Mk3 to me... While you can't switch Patterns for multiple Groups at a time like on a Jam, it's pretty quick and easy to switch Patterns one Group at a time and then move to the next Group (rinse/repeat) on the 4x4 controllers, especially if you pin Pattern mode.

5. Felipe Paiva

you got it right at the point...in live performances, I switch patterns in different groups at the same time, as "improvisation"...

6. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Setting up a new Scene or Section with those changes can be done live too, so I'd recommend trying and practicing that.

7. Felipe Paiva

Yes, it's the back-up plan...but you loose a lot in terms of flexibility. Anyway, I'll keep my Maschine Jam alive, waiting for a new product which could handle the same functions.

• Like Like x 1
  8. GoKeez

GoKeez NI Product Owner

The easy solution would be an iPad app but me thinks NI is a bit scared of iOS.

• Like Like x 2
  9. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Not ideal for the many who don't have, want, need, or can't have an iPad...

Aside from a dedicated controller, opening it up slightly for other "matrix" controllers would be the best option in my opinion, either by scripts or a simple interface to tell MASCHINE which buttons/controls are to be used e.g., Launchpad's matrix transmits MIDI notes of a different range per row and then has 8-16 mode buttons, each of which could be mappable to some fundamental Jam modes.

Pretty sure that won't happen though because NI, aside from some past support in Traktor and GR for MIDI mapping and control, don't seem to like giving access to 3rd party MIDI controllers, especially with MASCHINE (where its MIDI mapping implementation is sorely lacking).

• Like Like x 5
  10. GoKeez

GoKeez NI Product Owner

I suspect our respective suggestions won’t happen for the same reasons.

I had to return 2 M+ for hardware faults/issues before realizing I’m better off sticking with mk3 for now considering I have the latest iPad Pro which is exponentually more powerful than Plus. Also, it has an almost endless supply of synths, sounds and I can convert all of my NI expansions into kits for the app I use most (BM3).

In short, Apple already made the best standalone imo.

I think Akai and NI knows this which is why they’re avoiding updating their own iOS apps or offering any new on that front. Too powerful and the apps too cheap to risk cannabalizing flagship. They also won’t make Mk3 class compliant for the same reason...won’t need Maschine or M+ as much if that happens.

I get it. Just frustrating. I love NI but the moment someone makes the perfect midi controller for iPad it could be lights out. Much of the savings I could get by going iOS only could be spent on marketing/promotion.

• Like Like x 3
  11. RajahP

RajahP NI Product Owner

Interesting thoughts.. never really though of that.. well, in such detail..

12. CE3

CE3 NI Product Owner

Considering they were selling them new in 2020, I think Jam will be supported and fully functional in Maschine for quite a few years.
    Yeah, the iPad is the standalone people are still sleeping on.

• Like Like x 2
  13. BNP

BNP New Member

Couldn't agree more !! I love my MK3 and Jam but have also been an iOS musician since my first iPod Touch device and now on the latest 12.9 iPad Pro.

In Canada where I live, the M+ after tax is $2015.That is an insane amount to spend when compared to the power of my iPad when paired with the right controller ! And, as mentioned, you can buy Kit Maker software and batch convert your Maschine expansions for BM3 or Nanostudio 2.

• Like Like x 2
  14. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Your thoughts don't match the reality of NI publicly stating that they are focused on supporting their current portfolio of products, the Jam isn't even on the NI website anymore. They even publicly stated Jam support is not coming to the M+.

Don't you remember the death of Kore?

• Like Like x 2
  15. CE3

CE3 NI Product Owner

Someone from NI made a statement on this forum a couple weeks ago that said "Right now we are still assessing if we can make MASCHINE JAM work with MASCHINE+ in standalone mode. Once we know more about this, we will come with an update." They also said JAM will continue to be supported the same way they continue to support older versions of Komplete Kontrol and Maschine that are no longer in production, and that End of Life would be announced 1-2 years in advance.

https://www.native-instruments.com/...2-12-and-komplete-kontrol-2-5-out-now.428431/

As long as the software is supported I think we'll still be able to use Jam as a Maschine controller for quite some time. If you look at how current products like Maschine Mk3, Mikro, the Komplete Kontrol S Series keyboards, and the latest Maschine+ are designed to work with the software (and how these controllers can work together), it doesn't make sense that Jam couldn't continue to interface with Maschine as long as they do, because it's just as deeply integrated with the software and functions similarly.

Last edited: Oct 14, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  16. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Then I would say that the public mouthpieces for NI are all on different pages, and/or that this is backpedalling on what was publicly stated several few weeks ago.

17. olafmol

olafmol NI Product Owner

I would love to see somebody reverse-engineering the messaging protocols of the Jam to Maschine, so we can built some handy scripts to reproduce Jam behaviour with f.e. a Launchstation, Push etc. Of course it would be the best thing if NI would publish the specs of these protocols and messages, as long as they don't sell Jam's anymore.

18. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

People already reversed engendered the driver protocols tho... but it never lead to anything useful being developed.More info here.
    The Lua scripts that handle communication between NI controllers and Maschine are also easy to access, its not even compiled, its readable... I've always shared little hacks here and there hoping one day a true developer shows some interest in doing more advanced modifications, it never happened.

With enough Python knowledge, you can make Jam do anything you want in Ableton for example since the API is sort of public, still, no one has done much, at least in the advanced category. The same goes for bitwig or any DAW that has a controller API advanced enough.

So I don't think publishing what's already out there would help much, also, making it public for Jam would expose the backend to a wide audience for all controllers, I doubt NI wants that, it would be awesome tho.

• Informative Informative x 3
    • Like Like x 1
  19. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

I really like the HXR10Jam template for Ableton with the added possibility to load stock plugin from the Jam..pretty handy and improves the workflow a bit. That was a nice addition

• Informative Informative x 2
  20. Felipe Paiva

Thing is that JAM can be improoved a lot..to make a clear product line, I would say that the "future JAM" (meaning a 16pad controller with knobs or touchpads) should:
    - be designed from the beggining as an "extension" to Maschine, not a standalone product. Spending place with buttons like "play" is useless to me..
    - enhance the HMI : add simple displays which provide you info like the names of tracks/patterns/groups/plug-in parameters would be quite usefull for production and performance

Anyway, where's the design team of NI asking the product owners to give their opinions? :)