Maschine Limiter

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by AxMusic, Nov 21, 2018.

1. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

Hi all,
    I'm wondering if Komplete 12 ultimate comes with a limiter?
    I know it comes with a bunch of effects eq, compression, delay, etc...
    However i can't seem to find a limiter....

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Last edited: Nov 21, 2018
  3. Jiloo

Jiloo NI Product Owner

Im K12U you get some fine analog modeled compressors (3 Vintage and something in Premium Tube pack all made by Softube). You can use some of them for limiting (for example VC76).

Sent from Tapatalk

4. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

What about the one built into Maschine. Its not the best but it works.

5. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

As Uwe303 said, limiter6 is great. I can also recommend unlimited (also free).

6. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

Maschine 2 Limiter in transparent mode is excellent- Indeed, Limiter 6 is free and has a lot of more advanced feature

• Like Like x 1
  7. DynaMaltee

DynaMaltee NI Product Owner

I'd also say the build-in Maschine 2 Limiter is a good one.

8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Correct nothing wrong about the build in limlter and you can also use it in series (2 or more one after another) or use the build in compressor and after that the limiter, best try out and listen what's working for you.

Uwe

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
  9. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

Thanks for the replies guys so i'm interested in that idea of using a compressor as a limiter...
    does any one know the settings to have the VC76 at for limiting...?

10. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Set ratio to 20 and attack to shortest possible and experiment with release and input - the input "pushes" the signal in the comp/limiter and sets the amount of limiting, and you will notice that you will need more release with higher input to a degree - if attack and release is both set too short and you have high compression it can distort so as short as possible but that high that it don't distort, and after that limiter you can additionally use the maschine limiter set it to transparent, threshold to 0 and ceiling to - 0.3. And with the second limiter you can also savely try a ratio 1:12 on the vc76.

Uwe

P. S. The attack release knobs on this comp working the other way around so turn both full clockwise will set it to shortest times and from that point on you can alter release to your like by turning it counterclockwise.
    And this comp is really a good one to use as compressor!!

Last edited: Nov 22, 2018
    • Informative Informative x 1
  11. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Ahh and I forgot to mention the VC2A, cause I unfortunately don't own it, it has a limiter mode and therefore is also an interesting option.

Uwe

Last edited: Nov 23, 2018
  12. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

i didnt notice that before, does any one know how to use the VC24 as a limiter?

13. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Just switch it to limiter mode and play with gain and peak reduction you can switch the meter to see what it's doing in is input level, gr is the reduction of the level and out is the output level. And again you can switch behind the maschine liniter like I described in the other post. And native has really good manuals so if you want to know more read it and/or ask again.

Uwe

14. AxMusic

AxMusic NI Product Owner

Ok, so to my understanding of the VC2A when it is in limit mode the peak reduction knob is the equivalent of a ceiling knob on a limiter?
    And the gain knob is the equivalent of a threshold knob? If that holds true, then what are the approximate value exchanges?.... like how much of the peak reduction knob would equal -0.3db, and how much of the gain knob would equal -7.0bd on a threshold knob in a limiter..? Hpe this question makes sense

15. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

The VC2A is a little bit different and not a peak limiter like the one from maschine and therefore i recomend to switch one behind,
    so the gain knob is really just a gain knob it just pushes the signal into the comression circuit and the compression rate knob sets the ratio and threshold. The VC2A is an emulation of an optical compressor so it reacts a little bit slower and the release time is dependent from the signal but peaks can maybe come through (i guess like i said i dont own it so i can´t control it) but it can sound more musically. Therfore just put the maschine limiter behind just to be sure. And experiment a lot and listen, listen, listen

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1