Solved Maschine micro mk3 midi

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Stephen Scheets, Sep 18, 2018.

1. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Well, most of the active users here are unsatisfied with something, so yeah, not many here think "they care", that's not exactly the same in other communities.
    When the occasional lurkers say everything is fine here they're are usually bombarded with a ton o "issues", dislikes, are promptly counter arguments... it kind of makes them go away.

• Funny Funny x 3
  2. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

At this point, a quarter-oriented roadmap would be appreciated and quell a lot of the disdain, especially if the roadmap was stuck to. If it was as simple as 'Song layer - EST Q4 2019', great, as long as people know it's coming, and if it isn't coming, then they can plan accordingly, find alternatives, or just deal with it.

Even things like no MCU on KKMK2; my colleague who is blind has been waiting almost a whole year since we "upgraded" to the KKMK2 after having been impressed with the accessibility options on NI's other products, and some people have been waiting 18 months for MCU. That's a pain in the ass, because sod's law dictates that if we were to move to an alternative then it would be sorted soon after, and we would be moving back to the KKMK2s. Something as basic as transport should function, even if it's just MIDI for the time being, or if the KK passes the command to Maschine VST to then output it to the DAW. Frustrating as the "it's in the backlog" comments are why we didn't just move back to the KKMK1s for the time being and sold them off as we incorrectly assumed we wouldn't be sat here a year later, 18 months into the life of the product without something as fundamental as functioning transport in both Pro Tools and Reaper when the MK1 did it just fine. Crazy.

We are exactly one week away from the tenth anniversary of Maschine. I would love to think that there is something significant coming, but chances are that there isn't, and there might never be anything truly significant added again judging by the lack of development and radio silence. Either NI has been hard at work behind-the-scenes on Maschine 3.0, or the range will be left to wither just like Windows Mobile 10/Windows Phone was in the final few years of radio silence prior to announcing it was coming to an end.

• Like Like x 4
  3. D-One

I am aware and agree.
    Stating how the feelings of active users are here VS the rest of the userbase is not a counter-argument to any complaint. This forum is an unbelievable small sample of the userbase, that's all I am saying.. often it seems like the forum is unaware of this fact.

• Like Like x 2
  4. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

It may be but given that most users go the same route with Maschine in it being a love affair that almost turns sour when they realise just how limited it is in some ways I find it hard to believe that most don't feel that way about it.

• Like Like x 2
  5. D-One

Well, I find it hard to believe too but I see a lot less ranting in other places, it doesn't mean much tho, maybe the majority is just more "silent".

• Funny Funny x 1
  6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

I think the majority is a bit disappointed at least and tired about that discussion maybe!?

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  7. D-One

AHAHh for sure, was literally just thinking the same. Today I vouch to no talk about it anymore.
    Not sure what we will be talking about though... What other subjects are there? :D

• Funny Funny x 2
  8. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yes me too - but you can't get around that issue, sooner or later it comes back - and then it hurts, native gave us a bit of hope with the accidental release of song layer and it was never seen again since then - really sad, sad, sad........

Uwe

• Like Like x 2
  9. D-One

Revisiting this though... Yesterday when you mentioned that as I was saying the forum is not a real representation of most customers I did an experiment, I asked a friend to post a poll in another Maschine community with 8000+ members...

Here's the result after 24 hous:
    [​IMG]
    47 Votes are from "happy" folks
    16 Votes for disappointed "folks"

Of course, it's still a small sample, and doesn't prove much, but puts things into perspective a bit.
    The same poll here would have very different results.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  10. van Grieg

van Grieg NI Product Owner

Actually, that’s like 25% unhappy customers there, not a small number.

• Like Like x 2
  11. D-One

Indeed, but here it would be 99% hehe

• Funny Funny x 2
  12. tempsperdu

I have to say that the open letter(s) probably did a lot to raise the figures here. Users talking amongst each other here will also probably exacerbate things as they get to hear about shortcomings they may not have experienced themselves by not having a similar workflow. And to really add to that users who don't frequent either here or the beta forum will not have witnessed just how appalling and derogatory NI's attitude towards both communication and it's users is because it's my belief that that is really adding to the sourness both here and on the beta forums nor is it showing any signs of any possible change.

• Like Like x 2
  13. HammyHavoc

To be fair, anybody on a community dedicated to Maschine likely likes the product enough to hang out anywhere that's not the official forum. For a lot of those people, without sounding condescending, the Maschine standalone, without a DAW, probably fulfils almost all their needs, as they're likely hobbyists.

Whereas if you were to ask this question on VI-Control or Gearslutz, you would likely get a very different response as it's a predominantly professional audience who are making money from music/audio. Maschine is different things to different people, and as to how big a part of someone's workflow it is, or formerly was, will vary drastically. People who have dropped the product due to limitations probably don't hang out on places outside the NI forums, and if they're concerned about if Maschine has improved since they left, they likely come here for a realistic overview of the state of play.

Don't get me wrong though, I do love Maschine for what it is, but the broken promises and features released then not further developed are painful at times.
    Echoing this. Whilst one employee does not reflect an entire company. I think my exchange yesterday with an NI employee about my post being 'fake' in terms of complimenting their latest Kontakt library but stating I won't be purchasing it until things change does leave a sour taste. At this point I'm wondering if the dev teams don't speak publicly because their people skills are even worse than what's been experienced so far by myself and others on the official forum. That's not meant to be derogatory in any way, but some people just aren't meant for front-of-house or public relations, but they have major skills in other areas, and that's fine, just a thought.

At this point, song layer and other promises not yet fulfilled are an incredibly loaded topic and must be handled delicately, I can understand the lack of comment, to a point, but it's a situation that sooner or later will need to be dealt with.

Last edited: Mar 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  14. D-One

Yes, yes, you're both right... just saying the perspective changes a lot based on where you ask and the critical tone here tends to be harsher.

• Like Like x 1
  15. HammyHavoc

Fully agreed; people who are happy about something don't tend to go and leave a review or recommendation without being prompted. Bad experiences however... people are in there fast. ;- )

With that said, I'm surprised there isn't a 'feedback' button in a drop-down on Maschine, or even a 'feedback' area in Native Access to send thoughts and bug reports. The 'forum' style approach to feature requests and bug reports seems quite archaic compared to how a lot of companies are handling it these days. Probably missing out on a lot of insightful feedback because it isn't immediately obvious where to tell NI this type of information.

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. tempsperdu

I love the optimism inherent in this post. :D;)

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. HammyHavoc

You'd be amazed by the ideas I hear bandied around quite casually by people during sessions about the software and hardware with things not working as expected, or ways it could be so much quicker or intuitive to do something.

• Like Like x 2
  18. tempsperdu

I know but NI ain't listening is the problem................................:(

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. klancyk

klancyk New Member

NI, is it your goal to produce toys or professional equipment?

20. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

hmm.. I have been a Maschine user since 2012. It hasn't turned sour for me. What does the term "limitation" exactly mean? Everything (and everyone!) has some sort of limitation of some sort, and if you look at products that *claim* they don't and try to be all things to everyone, you will often find they implement everything under the sun in a mediocre sort of way and you find yourself flocking to a product that does one thing but does it really well. It is the way things sometimes are.

As far the limitations of Maschine compared to other similar products, I work around the limitations and sometimes get and use the other product if I absolutely need the feature the other product has that Maschine doesn't.

I am happy with NI products and service. I get what I pay for and often feel I get more than I pay for. My only comment to NI corporate is, it does seem the music making consumer market is getting awfully cluttered these days by competing vendors who are offering products that step over each others toes and it does seem like some of these other vendors aren't just sitting around being lazy. You can tell they have been putting some serious thought into perfecting their product offerings. I was pretty blown away by what Akai did with MPC software when I was testing it out. They are on my radar when they start discounting.