1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Maschine Mikro MK3 could be a perfect tool - if NI did not spoil it.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by klancyk, Apr 7, 2019.

1. klancyk

klancyk New Member

Apparently our needs are not real.
    This approach is the best way to stop the development of these tools. If you equate down, you will not achieve anything great.

2. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Well.. The actual word used was "genuine". I think what he meant was they were trying to establish if there is a high enough number of customers that need/want CE support to justify the time investment it takes to do it, I doubt it was an attempt to dismiss or minimize the request.

3. klancyk

klancyk New Member

So, I'll think about it before MY next investment.

4. D-One

Of course, you should. Personally, I'll never buy a MIDI device without confirmed mapping support.

• Like Like x 3
  5. klancyk

klancyk New Member

I was stupid enough to trust in their common sense.

• Like Like x 3
    • Funny Funny x 1
  6. D-One

Yeah man, it sucks, hopefully, by now they realized that it was a mistake.
    The worst part is it's been a while since the Mikro was released and so far there's no official statement confirming CE support will is planned, I pay close attention and the only complaints are here on the forum (or similar), by you, me, maybe 30 others in total... that's not a lot. Most users are silent, that doesn't help. :( And... of course, all the big time YouTubers 'influencers' who actually have the power to bring awareness never mention this sort of thing.. the reviews just say everything is great, like they always do.

• Like Like x 5
  7. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

So I a, looking more at the Jam. So what you are saying is you are using Maschine is such a way where you are constantly, tinkering with 16 and 32 notes and have a lot of velocity changes in those note patterns, the Jam is a tool designed to make you work faster?

• Like Like x 1
  8. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

Sort of , since I got jam I generally program drums with the step sequencer of jam , before I would use the 4x4 and note repeat and mouse .
    Then I would edit velocity’s sometimes with mouse and sometimes with the controller , tho mouse is quicker .
    I got jam mainly for the step sequencer. So now I try to program drums, with a little more thought, as I don’t have to judge how hard I’m hitting the pad to get the different nuances you can get from drums , because I can add with the velocity I want and I can test the sounds at the different levels before I add them , I also don’t have to edit velocity so much , and if I do it’s pretty quick to do individual notes with jam , mouse still comes in handy for multiple notes .
    I don’t really use ideas view but jam is still cool with the main arrangement window,for adding patterns and selecting scenes, tho I still find the mouse quicker for arranging,and moving things , making things unique,
    Since I got jam my workflow has changed, but maybe it’s also down to my level of skill improving, plus the unique feature change it too .
    Before I would have a new scene with new patterns for anything , now I tend to lay out the song using the Same scenes and patterns then use the unique feature to break things up and make changes
    Eg . So I could start a song with
    Scene 1 , then 1 again then scene 2 the 2 again and 2 and 2 then back to 1 and 1
    But after I start editing i use unique to then make some variations.
    So 1,1,2,2,2,2,1,1 will become
    1,3,2,4,5,6,1,3 then I repeat and change again.
    accessing patterns and scenes is so much quicker on jam than any 4x4 controller and can definitely keep you away from the mouse too
    Plus you can edit the mix and keep the other controller on the plugin ( kk for me ) tho I do still prefer the encoders for volume.
    Tbh my mikro doesn’t get much use , mainly use jam and kk , but the mikro is handy especially if I go out and about

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

thanks for the post. so i invested in a jam. i am still getting used to it. i think i manly got it for the same reasons you did. use it for step sequencing and the mixing which is where i spend most of my time. I am still getting my heard around how to use it properly. i haven't figured out how to conctol the velocity with which drum notes get laid out. but have found the accent feature which is very useful. saves tons of time.

• Like Like x 2
  10. AL’DREAD

When your in pad mode ,you have 16 pads for each sound , the 16 pads opposite are for velocity 8 to 127 ,
    Before you input a step or if you are just checking an individual sound press the velocity pad you want, and you’ll notice the change, all velocity will be set at the selected one until you change it again .

Last edited: Apr 24, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  11. AL’DREAD

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1
  12. Benoit Peeters

Benoit Peeters NI Product Owner

If you remember right, we got the same problem with the SxxMK2 keyboards... No Control Editor access.... then after about a full year, they made it happen from within Komplete Kontrol. We wait more that a full year to be able to make Keyboard spliting through MIDI. But the main problem is that the customer don't read, don't ask... we assume by OUR logic that any midi Keyboard (for example) can have multichannel spliting... because it was already like this 10 years ago! lollllll But NI likes to surprise! (I guess you can feel the sarcasm!).

Well, all in all, we complain, and we stick with it. It is like Apple, people throw stones at it (because of how you cant upgrade, how it misses USB-A port, it misses SD card reader, it get stupidly hot sometime,...but they continue to pay a ridiculous price for it! :)))))))

---- That said ---- this topic is about MAschine MK3, and I got a question that was half answered here:

I'm going to buy a Maschine, but I'm between the full MK3 and the Mikro... I already own a S61MK2, and a Clarett interface, so maybe I don't really need a full MK3? I can use the screens and knobs of the S61 isn't it? and about audio interface, the clarett should be beter than the one inside that Maschine, right?....

Is there another thing I could miss buying the Mikro MK3 regards to his big brother?

Thanks for any answer!
    Cheers!

13. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Whilst it can happen within Komplete Kontrol, it's missing quite a few features from the Controller Editor. If they were still using the Controller Editor, I'm assuming we would have Host Transport Control (MCU) by now.

On another note: I have the full-size Maschine MK3, the Jam, and a KKMK2 S61 that I use on my personal workstation (colleagues use different sizes). Love the rig, works well, but there's a lot of room for improvement.

I'm currently mulling over a Mikro MK2 instead of a Mikro MK3 for use portably. The Mikro MK3 just has too many downsides versus the Mikro MK2 as it stands.

• Like Like x 2
  14. Benoit Peeters

That MCU transport is killing you I see! (you mention it in a lot of posts :) ) I can understand that...

Something is quite incredible,... because I'm building the almost same setup: KKS61MK2, Maschine MK3 .... but I'll buy Traktor S4 too.....
    My idea is getting ideas done with Mashine, recording things with S61/Maschine then go life puting my track playing with Traktor (my tracks along with remixes and DJ stuff)....

C u!

15. Benoit Peeters

What is the workstation you use? I need a new laptop too in my setup and I'm really struggling hard to find the one!
    I'm no huge fan of APPLE stuff... (except the Iphone maybe). I was thinking Lenovo P1 (Xeon proc, 32Gb ram, 1T SSD etc...) I've heard a lot of good things about it.... I often looked at Apple MAcBook pro, but always found a reason not to buy it... and now it seems it is less and less "pro"....

Well if you got any comment...
    Apreciate it!

16. HammyHavoc

I use a rackmounted custom desktop PC (i7 4770K, 32GB RAM, but due for the scheduled whole-rig upgrade this year), Windows 10 Pro. Been running Windows 10 Pro with rock solid stability for several years at this point. We were several tens of thousands invested into Apple hardware in about 2013, not to mention OSX versions of software, transitioning was a difficult decision to make at the time, but it isn't one we've ever looked back on. The grass is most definitely greener on the other side, and the bang-for-buck with performance is amazing. Glad we swapped when we did after having seen the issues with Apple over the years, especially the recent problems with their T2 chips causing problems with audio.

In terms of DAW, we're transitioning over to Reaper from Nuendo, Studio One and Pro Tools. The flexibility offered is just unbelievably good, and we've developed a few solutions in-house and also funded some third-party external devs to create some aspects of the workflow for us as we do a lot of audio work for video games. The other reasoning regarding Reaper is that Cockos are also developing it for Linux, so if in some bizarre turn of events we all end up moving over to Linux (very unlikely, IMO, just too many drivers and pieces of industry-standard software that aren't and probably will never be available on Linux), then our workflow won't really change.

For portable use, I use an i7 Surface Pro with 16GB of RAM. Few colleagues use i5 Surface Pro. Either works great. We were mulling over the Razer Blade, but due to silly security vulnerability we were put off buying in, and went with the sensible option. The logic being that Microsoft's warranties and support have always been great with their professionally-oriented products, and there should be no driver related issues on a machine that's essentially Microsoft's reference model for Windows 10. It's been really great, it's a far-cry from the regular visits to the Liverpool and Manchester Apple Stores and being told to come back in a fortnight when they've got the part in as they don't tend to carry higher-end stuff in their Northern UK stores, only their consumer-oriented stuff; complete joke, and as you can imagine, quite infuriating to carry something like an iMac or tower Mac Pro through the city center just to be told to come back in a few weeks. Just not convenient.

Re not being forced to go to the Apple Store; being able to self-diagnose hardware faults and just Amazon Prime (next-day delivery) a component for a desktop has been great. Only problem we've had has been wearing out SSDs as we hammer them, but we have hot-swap bays in the racked machines so we just pop out the failed drive, put in the new one, no need to even take it out the rack or disconnect any cables.

It would take a complete paradigm shift for us to ever have a reason to go back over to Apple. Literally, it would have to be so much faster than working with a beefy Windows rig, better value, and introduce a completely new way of working that could only be done on a Mac. I doubt that will happen, but anything can happen with computers.

Re Traktor; I'm a long-term user, I've tried Serato, but wasn't a fan. I really like the integration of Maschine and Traktor for live stuff. If you're buying into the NI eco-system and enjoy it and want to stick with it, you can't really go wrong with Traktor. My only gripe with Traktor is not being able to run it as a VST and having to run it standalone; a lot of people figure it'll be like Maschine and offer both VST and standalone. You can route it into a DAW if you want/need to, but it's another thing you need to figure out in terms of a workflow that makes sense for what you want to do.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  17. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

question- do you use your maschine controlled as a MCU in logic by any chance?

18. StarSMASH

i've used battery, and one thing i dislike about it is that you can only assign one note to one cell. ie. if you want to do a tom drum descending roll, you have to assign a new tom for every note to a cell and then tune it accordingly, as opposed to just opening keyboard mode in one sound in maschine and playing the notes however you'd like. Big disappointment for me.

• Like Like x 1
  19. HammyHavoc

IMO, Battery was decent before Maschine came along, and if someone is coming from FL Studio, maybe they'll like Battery today for keyboard and mousing it, but it doesn't integrate well with Maschine controllers, it's a little sloppy in my experiences without some tinkering in MIDI mode. Battery is a lot like Guitar Rig for me; it was exceptional at the time when receiving regular updates, but it's long since been surpassed by competing products. IMO, NI cannibalised Battery with Maschine.

Last edited: May 3, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. StarSMASH

Yea I can see that. The GUI is almost the same as fruity loops

• Like Like x 1