1. Hi everyone,

Apple just released Logic Pro 10.5 for MacOS 10.15. We found out that Massive X, Crush Pack, Mod Pack, Replika, and Replika XT will crash.

Our teams are currently working on a fix, and we hope to have this out to you as soon as we can!

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine mk1 w/usb3.0 hub issue

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by thronechild, Jul 6, 2013.

1. thronechild

thronechild NI Product Owner

I have a 2012 macbook pro with usb 3.0 ports. I am adding some usb peripherals and thought I would try to get a usb 3.0 hub so that down the road I don't have to change anything. So long story short, I have tried 4 usb 3.0 hubs and all of them work fine with other usb gear but when I plug my mk1 in, the controller causes the computer to crash. It doesn't do this with a usb 2.0 hub, just usb 3.0 hub.

Has anyone else had this problem? Were you able to fix it or find the right hub?

So far I have tried an Anker 7port usb 3.0 hub, siig 7 port dual usb3/usb2 hub (3 usb3 ports, 4 usb2 ports), a IOGear 4 port usb3 hub and a belkin 4 port usb 3.0 hub. All were powered.

I have also used two different usb 2.0 hubs, dynex and belkin and both worked fine.

For now i will use usb 2 hubs but I am disappointed in this problem.

2. Real_Blackroom

Real_Blackroom Forum Member

I have the same experience as you!

Haven't found a fix either.

3. realtrance

realtrance NI Product Owner

Are these powered hubs, or are they drawing all their power from the Mac USB 3.0 port?

I'd suspect a power issue here, that adding Maschine is putting more draw on the USB port/Hub than it can provide. Just a suggestion.

4. thronechild

Like the post said, they were all powered hubs so thats not it. There are lots of posts about this type of problem apparently. Not sure if its maschine or the macbook drivers. Been using a usb 2.0 hub all week and no problems what so ever.

5. psychoxkps

psychoxkps NI Product Owner

maybe u have other but shielded cable.. try it:)

6. thronechild

I guess I can try it, was using belkin cables.

7. patrick.olson86

patrick.olson86 Forum Member

I have the same problem. I just swapped out my 10 port Anker Uspeed 3.0 hub with a SIIG 7 port hub (4 are 2.0 and 3 ports are 3.0. Same thing happens, even if I plug the Maschine into the 2.0 hubs.

I really think the 10 port hub is super handy (and cheaper), but it has a power on/off button. So, even if the maschine is plugged into the hub during boot, as soon as I turn it on the macbook will crash. The SIIG on the other hand, I could probably keep the mk1 plugged into and when booting up not have it crash (since it's powered on during boot, and the mk1 is already hooked up).

I might just keep the mk1 plugged into the macbook direct for now to bypass this issue and then just keep the 10 port hub for everything else. I'm troubleshooting everything tonight, yay fun!

8. thronechild

No fix for me here. I had a siig also and it didn't work. I just decided to use a $20.00 USB 2.0 hub and I've had zero problems. I now have a machine, an ableton push along with a midi foot controller plugged in and everything works flawlessly.

9. patrick.olson86

I may do that as well, until Mac/Maschine/USB 3.0 creators can get their shizz figured out.

10. patrick.olson86

I went to microcenter and returned my $45 SIIG 2.0/3.0 hybrid hub and replaced it with some genereic 7 port 2.0 hub that was only priced at $14. Flawless performance with Akai MPK 49, Maschine MK1, Mbox2 Mini, WD Passport External HD... and a laptop cooling fan.

Because the SIIG I returned wasn't within the window of returnable, they gave me store credit. With the leftover credit I was able to pick up an awesome Samsonite 15' laptop travel briefcase. There's plenty of room for an interface, all my cables, notebooks and pens, hard drives... hell maybe even Maschine... and my laptop cooling pad.

Moral of the story is: Thank you Native Instruments for messing up the USB 2.0 backwards compatibility with the 3.0 hubs. I saved money and got some cool stuff. NI rocks!