1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Maschine Mk3 teardown.

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by D-One, Oct 11, 2019.

1. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

jesus christ, at 20min in i kept getting mini panic attacks because your buttons almost kept going down the drain. you're a mad man.

2. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

If you send something to NI service, you are of course not the only one.
    So there will be a waiting list.
    That is the reason that it takes a certain amount of time.

René

3. StarSMASH

i mean, that's a given. I'd just rather have the option to learn more about my device and fix it myself rather than not be able to use my hardware for several days.

4. René must be Unique

OK. in my time (oh my, I'm getting old) you got an electronic schematic with every electronic device you bought.
    So you could get started with a repair yourself.
    But times have changed, repairing at component level is almost non-existent.
    Is also far too expensive in terms of labor costs.
    But it would be nice if NI would offer these potmeters for the DIY per piece for a reasonable price.

René

5. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Speaking as someone with that awfully fashionable COPD thing........René does have a point....especially if you live on a street with traffic..I think that's mainly how I got it. They moan about combustion engines but 'forget' to consider how absolutely lethal tyre dust is.....................................;)

6. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I dont think it takes weeks, but then again it might... I think they are rather fast all things considered, it's just the whole process takes a while from talking to support for a couple of days, waiting for a reply, getting things to confirmed, to shipping it, to it getting fixed by their technicians to having them ship it back, to finally receiving it at home... Not ideal for a small thing I can fix myself.

I put the camera on a boom arm tripod, it's actually for Mic's but I made it work with a small adapter... as long as I dont touch the camera it's fine, if I do it wobbles around a bit. For my phone I got one of these:
    https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B071NFCYKC/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_image_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1
    But I dont recommend it, if you attach it to the desk where you have your controller in each time you hit a pad it will shake a lot, ideally you want zero contact between where the Controller is and what is holding the camera.

Overhead video is quite tricky, decent quality requires a lot of light and the screen is super reflective which is a bad match, I am still figuring it out.

• Like Like x 2
  7. StarSMASH

X
    Thanks for the info. Do you know if I Would I be able to screw the bottom of that thing to my mic stand? If I read correctly, it could be and that's exactly how you do it, correct?

I don't think I'd have the stand touching the desk so I wouldn't have to worry about that

8. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

No prob.
    No, that thing has a clamp for desks or flat services, it can work but is a bad choice. If you have a mic boom arm tripod get one of these to hold the phone: https://www.amazon.com/Swivel-Smartphone-Microphone-Adapter-Samsung/dp/B01D1ZFXC0/
    Assuming the end of your tripod has a 5/8" screw. (i think that's the standard in music tripods but double-check what you have and see if it matches)
    [​IMG]

HAHA, that would have been hilarious. I would have to teardown the sink... no big deal :)

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 15, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  9. Et_Voila

Et_Voila NI Product Owner

Okey then, if Docteur René says XY : How can I shut up?
    :/
    Edit: For space, confort and etc....
    Howdy René. No I did not meant that. I'm doing good thanks :);););):)

Last edited: Oct 17, 2019
  10. René must be Unique

Do you mean that you want to quit smoking and want to know what steps you should take?

René

11. René must be Unique

It is always possible to try, but if the potentiometer has made approximately 15,000 revolutions,
    the carbon path is worn to the point that it is no longer possible to 'repair' it.
    Contact spray was previously used for partially open potmeters, where dust and deposits are present on the carbon path.
    Inject and run a few times, and most of the time it worked again.

René

• Informative Informative x 2
  12. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

I started using the big 4D knob for preset scrolling and leave the 8 knob bank for parameter values, but eve then I hardly touch them with the Jam sitting right next to it.

New slogan:

Just say no to wobbly knobs. Buy a Jam today.