1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Maschine software without owning hardware

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by PaulB69, Nov 24, 2020.

1. PaulB69

PaulB69 New Member

Hi,
    Native Instr sells Maschine software for hardware. I would really like to have just have the software without the hardware esp. now it's for 50%.
    Does anybody know what will happen if I bought it without owning the Maschine HW or a NI keyboard? Will Native Access say something like I'm missing the appropriate hardware or something like that?
    I already bought a 2nd hand Machine factory expansion but when trying to input the transfer code, Native Access said I'm missing the hardware so I'm afraid this will happen again when I buy the software only.
    I know it is meant for hardware but I just don't want a HW drum computer/controller or keyboard.
    I hope somebody can share their experience with this because Google doesn't provide a clear answer (often the discussion is more about whether it makes sense to use the software without the controller but I think that's up for me to decide)
    Thanks
    Paul

2. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Hi, Maschine SW is able to work without Maschine HW.
    The problém is that there is no way to buy Maschine SW. It is not sold, it is only bundled with Maschine HW.

The Maschine SW on the web is Upgrade, not Full Licence.

But, what might work, is. That you buy Maschine HW (new/secondhand) and sell it. When you sell it, Maschine SW might stay at your account...

3. PaulB69

PaulB69 New Member

Hi Kubrak. Thanks for the reply. They do sell Machine (essentias) SW standalone (see link: Maschine Accessories : Maschine Essentials : Pricing | Maschine (native-instruments.com). However, I wonder waht would happen if I'd buy it and register it.. will Native Acces refuse to register it because there is no hardware license attached or will it register just like any other piece of software after which I can use it? (And also wonder whether - if it would register - my bought Maschine Factory expansion would then also register because at this moment it does not.) Thanjs again!

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  4. Blindeddie

Blindeddie NI Product Owner

It would not work... it specifically states at the top...

MASCHINE SOFTWARE FOR HARDWARE
    For MASCHINE hardware owners currently without a software license

5. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

I do not know for sure, but I guess you could not buy it or you could not register it to your NI account. Because you do not have Maschine HW. (In my experience it is not possible to register Upgrade/Crossgrade if you do not have Eligible Product registered on NI Account. So, I doubt, your case would be different....)

Concerning Maschine Factory Library - "This upgrade only works for users of MASCHINE MIKRO Mk3, KOMPLETE KONTROL A-Series, S-Series and M32, KOMPLETE AUDIO 1, 2 and KOMPLETE AUDIO 6 MK2."

But maybe Maschine SW would do. As it expands reduced Maschine 2 to full Maschine 2. But that is just wild guess. If they write you must have certain HW registered, you most probably have to....

The best would be to use Live Chat with NI Support. It usually works fine. They might be bussy these Black Friday days....

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  6. PaulB69

PaulB69 New Member

okay thanks Kubrak & Blindeddie. Make sense off course. Probably will have to buy a keyboard then anyway.

7. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

I am not sure, but you most probably need Maschine, not keyboard..... Better to ask NI Support on Live Chat.

8. Blindeddie

All NI Keyboards come bundled with Maschine Essentials (Maschine Software and Maschine Factory Selection) and Komplete Kontrol (libraries and synths included vary by KB). All explained in the product pages.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2020
  9. oli@bass

oli@bass NI Product Owner

10. Blindeddie

That page is not public facing, but the link to it has been posted quite a few times by users in the forums, so more than likely that is how it was found. I did a quick google search of “Maschine 2 software only” and got links to several forum posts that pointed to that page.

11. PaulB69

PaulB69 New Member

Indeed, forums (not sure whether it was the NI community though)

12. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I think it would technically "work", not 100% sure.... but I don't advise it to anyone, a lot of the software features are only available from the hardware, Maschine SW was not designed with mouse/keyboard operation as a priority. You would be better off getting Baterry 4 or something, maybe give KK a try with the free Komplete Start bundle.

13. Vinark

Vinark New Member

I would be surprised if it did not work as most of the time NI warns you if you don't meet the minimum needs or something is required. For example they warn me when I want to upgrade my Komplete select to ultimate collectors. For 35 euros it might be worth a small gamble. If you like the software but miss the maschine later on, you can get second hand maschines without software pretty cheap.

14. PaulB69

PaulB69 New Member

Thanks. In fact I already have Komplete Ultimate (an older version though) so Batt 4 is aready in there (and used a lot).
    But I am considering to upgrade at some point to Ultimate 13 CE and since that one is loaded with expansions I think Maschine, even the software, would be more tailored to these expansions with all the patterns etc. Actually, it's a pity that it isn't included in Komplete but that probably has to do with the lacking functionality without the hardware...

15. Mod1

Mod1 NI Product Owner

Having had Maschine+ for a few weeks now I know you can use the software without the hardware connected. Having used M+ I can say that the hardware matches the software in all its functionality but some things like plugin windows are not really well translated to the hardware. There is nothing you can do on the hardware that you can't do in the software (that ive noticed).

16. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yes there is. MIDI Change, Chords, Scales, Fixed velocity, 16 levels, the list goes on and on...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  17. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

As the page suggests, the license if for users stuck with one of the hardware unit and trying to access the software. Technically, it would still work if you don't have the hardware.
    Just like D One said, I'd also really suggest using the software with the Maschine controller. Keyboard and mouse might not be super fun.

18. PaulB69

PaulB69 New Member

Okay, so to recap: if I would buy Maschine Essentials, eventhough I don't have either Maschine hardware or an A or S keyboard, there would not be any restriction in registering the license and using the software. That's what your message implies, right Matt?
    Then as a follow up question: I already bought the Maschine factory extension (update from essentials to full factory library) 2nd hand but when trying to process the license transfer code it says that I'm missing the hardware license code. Would that be also solved when I will have bought and registered Maschine essentials or would it still be a (real) requirement to own a piece of hardware?

By the way, really impressed with the help one gets from this forum!

19. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI Support Team NI Team

Yes this is what I'm suggesting :thumbsup:
    The base product for the upgrade you bought would be the Maschine Factory Selection included with Maschine Essential. It should solve your issue with missing base product in Native Access.

20. PaulB69

PaulB69 New Member

For the record: it worked! :cool:

• Like Like x 2