1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Maschine+ Standalone

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by ExactBeats, Sep 7, 2020.

1. themixtape

themixtape NI Product Owner

First impressions--- I'm not very impressed. Much of the video is spent with him creating some techno... which could have been an "intro to Maschine MK3" video from three years ago. A lot of us here already know how Maschine works.

Here's my comment on the official YouTube vid:

i'm as big an NI fanboy as anyone can get... but there are a few things that aren't sitting well with me, regarding these first impressions of Maschine+:

1. The price. No way will people drop $1400 for a standalone Maschine (especially with millions of artists going broke because of this year and the pandemic), when you can buy a MK3 and a used quad-core Dell laptop with an SSD, 16gb of ram, and full HD display (Precision M4700) for a total of only $900. People have made videos of how they do a quasi-standalone MK3 with a custom stand and a hidden laptop with the lid closed (disabling "sleep" mode), underneath it. This is a great option, especially if...

2. There's no battery? None? Not even a port for a future installed battery of some sort? See number 1, above. A Dell laptop and the original MK3 can work without power for 3-4 hours easily. Just take your MK3, laptop, headphones and a short USB cable to the park, connect cable, close lid, and you're golden.

3. If there's no battery, people will go to the MPC Live 2, or stick with the highly-affordable MPC One... which is KILLING it these days. I used to not be an Akai person, but when they released MPC Beats, I got hooked on the workflow. I still think Maschine is better, across the board, but the MPC workflow is appealing. I think it was a wise move for them... and that immediately followed the release of MPC One... it didn't receive a ton of love at first, but people came around to it and now love the thing. Additionally, it can work with a battery bank and adapter.

4. I don't need a touchscreen, but a lot of people asked for one. What makes the MPC One appealing is the large amount of dedicated buttons (which the Live/Live2 does not have) as well as a touchscreen. Pads may be slightly smaller, but that's not a deal-breaker.

5. Lastly, people complained about MK3 not having a phantom power switch for condenser mics. This doesn't, either, so it seems....

I really dig all the Maschines I own (Studio, MK2, MK3, Mikro MK2, and JAM). But I don't think this is going to fly with a lot of people. Just reading through these comments, and the posts at the official Maschine forum... and seeing the amount of dislikes, already... I don't know. I just don't know.

What I like--- the (hopefully) improved encoders... the MK3 suffers from smooth to "too loose" encoders right out of the box (I returned two MK3s before hanging onto my main one-- which still has 3 loose encoders, and 5 good ones (been like that since day one)....

The main thing people want is the song mode, the arrangement improvements (the stuff that's coming, probably with the release of Maschine+). That's what we need most.

Just some food for thought! Still love the whole Maschine thing.

• Like Like x 3
  2. nate

nate NI Product Owner

Three years ago today I scoffed on facebook about NI releasing the Maschine mk3 without having a version 3.0 of the software to go with it. Oof

3. marknomad22

marknomad22 New Member

They will do this with studio to compete with the MPC X

4. BezowinZ

BezowinZ NI Product Owner

I can't i imagine what they would charge for their answer to the X as the + appears to be their One. $2,600?

5. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

you can use a portable battery bank , its been tested with a few and can run 10+ hours

I've heard that you can connect N.I Audio 1, Audio 2, or Audio 6 MK2 sound cards via usb to expand the i/o ,add a microphone etc and there may be support for 3rd party interfaces later on, you can connect class compliant usb midi devices and hopefully a fully featured komplete kontrol.

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
    • Like Like x 2
  6. marknomad22

marknomad22 New Member

Yup with 3.0 software followed by bug fixes.. imaging the problems they will have with there stand-alone OS..

• Like Like x 1
  7. TJ

TJ NI Product Owner

Is it me or does this seem more like a money grab? A Push 2 and Live could be copped for around the same if not less used and ableton is far more advanced...

• Like Like x 2
  8. marknomad22

marknomad22 New Member

Would love to see masada demo this..

9. eclipxe

eclipxe NI Product Owner

Doesn't seem like a money grab at all. A Push 2 and Live require a computer, this doesn't. Not even playing in the same league.

• Like Like x 1
  10. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

11. Pankees

Pankees New Member

When you could load your own nki instruments directly from native access and samples from sounds, via wi fi, in standalone mode , on a connected hard disk, it will be a final product very cool.

12. Trevorhor

Trevorhor NI Product Owner

Perfect third party add-on: tilt stand that holds battery and ssd with cables to back of Maschine+. Not hard to make. Shouldn’t be expensive if it does not include the battery or ssd. Just make it so it attaches so the unit feels like one piece.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

• Like Like x 1
  13. BezowinZ

I missed this until now...
    So sampled instruments can be run in standalone. I wonder if only Kontakt Factory sounds are included but all their instruments (and NKS?) can be run in standalone.

14. trusampler

trusampler NI Product Owner

They think this is what their customers want, sure maybe a few. They're doing this to try and compete with Akai,I get it, but I think for NI it's the wrong move. ;( We're literally going backwards now! This is going to slow down development even more, writing code for a box with limitations.

I already have a cpu, that'll murder this in everyway.. I was apart of the Akai MPC user group that wanted the integration for cpus, that took 20 years plus... besides this hardware and price is terrible..

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  15. BezowinZ

trusampler I agree, the combo of the price and sub par hardware is a mistake.

But I think many are interested in a standalone unit. It might be niche, but there's a DAWless movement going on. And if I'm interpreting correctly want I quoted above, and it plays sampled VIs in standalone, there are a lot of folks, including myself, that have been waiting for this.

But the I/O is so anti DAWless. 1 pair of 5-pin MIDI? 1 pair of audio outs? And yeah, the price.

We'll see.

16. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

You can use the usb for for midi ,for studio. use , I’ll add a komplete audio 6 for extra midi din and audio inputs if needed

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  17. jacqui brookes

jacqui brookes NI Product Owner

...the screens could have been bigger....

• Like Like x 1
  18. BezowinZ

For synths that support USB, sure. But 2 of my 3 synths are 5-pin only.

• Like Like x 1
  19. Scaper7

Scaper7 NI Product Owner

sure, it could have been all sorts of things ... but yes please

looks a killer design for what it is ... still so impressed with mk3 ... this looks good

20. marknomad22

marknomad22 New Member

I guess a wait and see approach until next month release.