1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Maschine+ Standalone

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by ExactBeats, Sep 7, 2020.

1. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

True , I forgot about those old synths ,
    Can’t you use a merge/ thur box ?
    I’ve never used one ,was thinking I might need one but atm I’ve got 4 things daisy chained in a loop with 5 pin midi as a stand-alone setup , not sure how well the + would work if I added it to that setup

Last edited: Sep 9, 2020
  2. ntula

ntula NI Product Owner

I would totally get this if it could run everything, including 3rd party plugs, standalone and link to an iPad for some x/y action. I really think it needs some ethernet connectivity, as that opens the doors for audio routing, storage sharing, and cpu and dsp expansion. A way to control it via a daw or maschine software would be nice, and not just as a mode, but using both as even if you could just run a few NI synths like massive or reactor, the load off the cpu of your daw would be significant.

3. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Yes you can use a midi through box and then you have 4 outs (even more) - just divide the synths via midi channel

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  4. BezowinZ

BezowinZ NI Product Owner

Of course. But for $1,400, 1 set of MIDI I/O, 1 stereo audio out, and other missing I/O is crazy.

• Like Like x 1
  5. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

The price is not good for what you get imo. The same low res screens they have been using since the Studio. They upped the quality of materials which is nice but what about the knobs, If I'm paying $1400 they knobs better be high quality instead of that crap they've been selling since the Studio. All inconsistent too tight or too lose.The IO is extremely weak for the price as well and no built-in storage option. This is something you wait to go down in price a year out from now and hope it goes down too MK3 levels in-terms of price.

• Like Like x 2
  6. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

If we compare it to the I/O capability of say, Akai's MPC X, I agree it is less than a great price, however where I believe it makes up for it is the included built in plugins like Massive, FM8, Monark, and Prism- Akai does not come close imo. Though if you already own those then that value is lost.

I believe it comes with 64GB built in storage upgradeable to 1TB.

Still, I am curious what improvements are coming for manipulating events / pattern notes. That is still the one area I find myself reaching for the mouse because I never remember how to quickly switch to piano roll and group notes, among other issues.

7. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

It’s probably to do with the size and keeping it smaller , adding another interface via usb is pretty clever tho ,obviously it adds to the cost .
    I’m gonna wait till I’ve used it , before I pass judgement on the price , in the uk it’s 1099 , which I thought was ok ,
    Compared to the other groovboxes on the market .

8. Trevorhor

Trevorhor NI Product Owner

This is called controller mode or a mk3. Standalone = won't run “everything”. How big a sample library do you think can run with 4gigs of ram? VSTs will most likely not run without recompiling. These are NOT negatives because if you need all of this, you can have it in controller mode. PLUS, you can detach from the computer and still have a powerful music creation device. Given the NI instruments that run in standalone, it’s more powerful than most people expected. Massive? Monark? FM8? Prism? What type of popular music can't be made with these? And no laptop, no tethered desktop necessary!
    iPad connectivity is in the NI video.
    Running midi to the standalone synths then routing sound back to DAW should be easy. So, yes!

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

9. mezzurias

mezzurias NI Product Owner

Not just the cost. If you are already dragging a Maschine and an audio interface how hard is it to just get an MK3 and laptop at that point. I just don't see the value at this point. The plugins aren't new. These are the same exact plugins we've been using for years already with Maschine. What does standalone add to the equation other than cost?I'm not sure if that's worth the premium.

If you own Maschine already this is definitely not worth it imo. Who would have thought that Akai was the value proposition in this scenario.

10. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

The mk3 still has limited inputs tho , so you’d need a laptop and interface to expand the I/O .

I suppose it depends what you plan to do with it , and where you plan to take it, mine will probably stay at home 90% of the time , I’ve only got the mikro mk3 at the mo , so I’ve been using the mouse + monitor more , I’m looking forward to going back to how it was when I had a studio , when I’d just use the maschine screens and controller , which is going to be easier with the new arranger .
    the plugins are old , still good tho , fm8 , monark and massive not a bad combo , add my xm and 101 , tr8s ( if I keep it) which tbf are the same sound Roland have been doing for years .

what’s the point of any hardware in 2020 , we could all just use a laptop, pad controller, midi keyboard vst and daw ,
    No need for the mc , mpcs , force , elektrons , toraiz etc

• Like Like x 1
  11. luneytunes

luneytunes NI Product Owner

[​IMG]
    NI KK25+
    [​IMG]

Book it.
    I'd say around December an NKS BEAST!
    same price

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. D One

D One New Member

What is that?
    It looks dope.

13. D One

D One New Member

For years standalone hardware only drum machines were the norm with limited scope and not expandable. Then NI created Maschine and changed the entire game. There are a good number of people on this forum that are deep into the standalone hardware concept. I am interested in knowing why there is such interest in going backwards? Educate me....seriously.

• Like Like x 1
  14. D One

D One New Member

So now is my new, never used, never opened Maschine Studio obsolete?

Ummmmm.... 100% real. Does anyone have any stock tips/projections to share?

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 10, 2020
  15. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I know it is a bit insane but I am halfway considering ordering the + just to have better build quality. Once it's available I'll probably push an early adopter for information about if the 4d encoder + 8 knobs feel a lot better than the Mk III (and the metal chassis). I particularly hate the crappy plastic 4d encoder on the mk III. A tank like build may cause me to upgrade even though I'd mostly use it as a controller. Being able to take it somewhere standalone would be a nice benefit though.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Kaldosh

Kaldosh NI Product Owner

If what you say is true, why is there not a tailored offer for those product owners based on what they have ? I have 100% of the plugin suite and sound library in it which make the price unattractive in that regard. Anyway, I just think that double MK3 price is too much whatever plugins or build you get. Though I must say that the device in itself looks amazing, Marketing is perfect as usual but man, ... it is like when you think of "Why do I pay a small Iphone the same price of an Imac or more than an entry level macbook ?...Just ridiculous . If innovation always came with that cost, we'd be still looking at kings and queens drinking tap water while we lick puddles when we are lucky enough to have rain...No offense

17. jbuonacc

jbuonacc NI Product Owner

"tank like build"? it's the exact same "chassis" as the MK3 with metal plates on the top and bottom. looks really nice though. i'd be VERY surprised if the encoders are any different than the MK3, and that's one of the big things steering me away from this.

18. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

Metal plates on the top and bottom make a big difference!.

I only mention the encoders because this was explicitly mentioned..

NI guy (I forget his name) explicitly says metal knobs and implies a metal (heavier?) encoder - the knobs certainly LOOK different.

But I would never even consider this if it doesn't get confirmed hands on.

19. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

That’s an unusual user name you have ......
    Certified beatz is that you ?

• Funny Funny x 3
  20. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Sit on it for 20 more years and sell it to an antique shop or a museum

• Funny Funny x 1