1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Maschine+ Standalone

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by ExactBeats, Sep 7, 2020.

1. circuitslave

circuitslave NI Product Owner

I love my regular MK3, but this is literally too little too late. I picked up the MPC One for that standalone feel already and the MPC software is quite mature already (with updates almost right out of the gate!). NI has to respond to the competition, and I understand that, but their software roadmap takes FOREVER.....the Akai already has audio tracks( yes I know only 8 in stand alone) but remember, the One is only $699 o_O. As usual, NI seems to put the cart before the horse (releasing HW, while being sluggish in the SW). Just my IMHO.

• Like Like x 4
  2. marknomad22

marknomad22 New Member

Software is definitely good just needs to be where it should be after 11 years

• Like Like x 4
  3. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

One thing I haven't seen mentioned anywhere so far — how are you supposed to name things in the standalone version? Do you just use one of the knobs to scroll through letters? Would be nice to have that on the mk3 as well, as typing in names is one of the only things you currently can't do with the controller.

• Like Like x 3
  4. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

On screen pop up keyboard

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. Bodhi Beats

Bodhi Beats NI Product Owner

I’m pretty sure I saw an on-screen keyboard in one of the intro videos, so yes — I think you would use the encoder to scroll though and pick letters. Sounds like a pain compared to a touch screen, but it’s better than what we have now (which is nothing). It does feel like if they’ve implemented this for the M+, then it could/should come to the Mk3 as well, in version 3.0. Here’s hoping!

6. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 3
  7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Boris. How can you forget his name, he is the finger drumming NI champ man...

Last edited: Sep 10, 2020
    • Funny Funny x 2
    • Like Like x 1
  8. JAHROME

JAHROME NI Product Owner

I look forward to getting my hands on one of these IF I can get it for a reasonable price here in the Philippines. VAT and customs fees can be as much as 30% of purchase price.
    It would be dope in Battery and Kontakt can run inside of standalone mode.

• Like Like x 1
  9. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

10. Stormchild

Accurate has made a fantastic recovery. His determination is inspiring.

• Like Like x 6
  11. Stormchild

The Roland System-8 has a decent method for entering text with a value knob and a couple buttons. I’ve gotten pretty fast with it. There are a few tricks that make a big difference, like holding shift to quickly jump between capital letters, lowercase letters, numbers, and symbols.

The Arturia MicroFreak has a similar system, but does it with just one knob and a shift button. You click + hold the knob and turn to move the cursor left or right.

I think the Roland system might actually be faster than scrolling through rows of a virtual keyboard, but I guess M+ could use some of the top buttons to switch modes (and dedicate a couple to space and return), and the 4D encoder as arrow buttons.

I’m a UI designer/developer and really like tackling new interface problems like this, so I probably would have enjoyed working on the M+ text entry feature.

• Like Like x 3
  12. Stormchild

I was happy to see Boris doing the presentation. Gives me a sense that NI hasn’t become a completely different company after all these big changes.

• Like Like x 3
  13. Lotuz

Lotuz NI Product Owner

At the end of the video he made a good point on editing on the standalone imo. Without a mouse editing can become rather tedious. I guess now would be the time to think about making things easier for the user. After all these years I'm still hoping they'll add Note Length Quantization for example.

• Like Like x 3
  14. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I think once clips are released, things like that and automation etc will be improved.
    The other thing is a lot of people have used the mouse for too long and don’t really do things like that from the controller so they haven’t streamlined their workflow, if I remember from when I had the studio, there’s a couple of ways to select notes , I think , you can use the pads to select multiple notes , select all or the 4d encoder to select or unselect notes

For note length you can select all or some and bring all the note lengths down to the min length so they are all the same and then increase,

similar with velocity in the lane , highlight the notes grab the lowest /highest then bring that up/down until all are level,

Last edited: Sep 11, 2020
  15. macchinista

macchinista NI Product Owner

Afaik, there is no way to edit modulation from the controller besides recording and erasing. You have to move to the computer and the software for that.

I see a lot of wishful thinking after this announcement. I get people are excited, but I would be cautious given NI’s past history. Keep in mind the old adage “you should buy it for what it can do today, and not for what it can do tomorrow”.

• Like Like x 3
  16. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

Yeah I wasn’t saying you could do automation editing from the controller , just an eg of the little tricks you can do to edit multiple things, to quantize lengths, you can do that with velocity, from the controller tho
    After the new arranger arrives , maschine will have reach the top of that big hill , then it’s going to be a nice downhill ride ........ to the pub !

17. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I decided to do a very careful look to see what's different on the labels in the Maschine+ vs the Mk III. There's only 4 differences:

- the Mk III 'FILE' button now has the added power button labeling (and thus no power button on the back like the Mk III)

- the Mk III 'ARRANGER' button now says 'IDEAS' and has a shifted text of 'Song'

- the Mk III 'PATTERN' button now has a shifted text of 'Clip'

- the Mk III 'VARIATION' button no longer has the shifted text of 'Navigate'! - I actually think the VARIATION (humanize/random) features of Maschine are one of the most poorly thought out things in the software and have been virtually ignored for many years - there's still no way to randomize time without randomizing velocity. I actually think the NAVIGATE functionality is much more useful and should be the main label of the button. It's great for jumping to other page banks in PAGE NAV mode, allowing you to get to subsets of parameters in a plugin more directly and cleaner than hitting the arrow buttons a bunch of times. The non PAGE NAV NAVIGATE functionality has always confused me but it also seems more useful than VARIATION. I hope shift-VARIATION still actually does Navigate on the +, and they just removed the label because they thought the word was confusing.

Maybe someone from NI can chime in here.

18. marknomad22

marknomad22 New Member

After watching a few videos.. they did a great job to get this into a standalone. Interesting to see how kontakt works with there massive libriares..

19. ALDREAD

ALDREAD NI Product Owner

I suppose as it’s not a secret anymore I can share this

6910EDC7-326E-4751-942E-60B966C355A4.png

20. IEEE 1893

IEEE 1893 New Member

I registered specifically to find more information about this. How will the + perform in Midi mode?
    Will you be able to name the assignable control elements?

More to the point, will you be able to configure the + without having to use the Controller Editor?