Maschine Studio gone from Sweetwater

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by basehead617, Jun 14, 2019.

1. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

Exactly. You can get a general consensus of popularity just by the lack of reviews on any of the major distribution sites. It seems people just aren't buying them. The AKAI Force looks to be performing poorly sales-wise, and hardly anyone using it regularly on Youtube. Still no song mode, lol.

2. AntonA1

AntonA1 NI Product Owner

I think N.I. should release a plastic box with a wifi card that connects to Sounds.com, streaming only. It’s the future of sound. Insert sarcasm font here. :D

But in all seriousness, we’ve discussed elsewhere what N.I. might bring in a Studio MK2. It’s a fun but decisive subject due to the software and how it’s being handled?

It’s just a guess, but one way they might go is to make some software upgrades that are tied to upcoming hardware. So you kinda have to buy the ‘box’?

I’d be curious to know everyone’s thoughts on this possible approach? Would it piss you off? Or would you be willing to bite the bullet if it meant bringing meaningful changes to your workflow?

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Yep. Literally everyone I see with it is a "Youtube-Producer/Influencer/Vlogger/Tech-Reviewer"
    That's pretty funny... until it actually happens and then it not so funny anymore. :S

Depends on the implementation and how often the release cycle is, it could be acceptable or it could be terrible, the latter is a lot more likely since the main issue of NI's ecosystem is the software-side, if I am forced to buy a new controller to have better software 2-to-4 years after I bought the flagship then bye, I am out... but on the other hand, I am perfectly OK with paying for a new major software version every couple of years, maybe even every year.

That's pretty common in other industries such as smartphones for example where some software crap is locked to the flagship models.

In a sense that already started happening with the latest gen, there's a lot you can do on an MK3 that you cant on a Micro MK3, sure... adding everything is impossible due to the size difference and amount of buttons but obvious things like no controller editor support is just one many examples of planned omissions. In this sense, I think the effect is the opposite, it pushes customers away from Maschine/NI rather than making them upgrade to a bigger model.

• Like Like x 2
  4. AntonA1

AntonA1 NI Product Owner

Agreed. Hopefully it will never happen, but who knows, lol.
    So are you feeling that N.I. won't be releasing any more 'oversized' controllers?
    What's next then? The 'Nano' version?
    Oh, wait; that would be iMaschine for iPhone.

Would be nice if we could squeeze more details from Kai on the upcoming focus on 'the heart of Maschine' (software)?
    They've got us baited and hooked...hopefully they deliver instead of going for the 'switch'. :cool:

5. D-One

Pretty much, I think they know oversized expensive gear is not something the vast majority of modern Musicians want, compact is better in the modern age, long gone are the days where people said "wow, that's so big, you must be a Pro"(LOL) when they saw a MV8800/MPC5000 sized drum-machine, there's probably a lady in the office in charge of providing those stats in a spreadsheet.

Something is definitively next, what it is I dont know.
    Personally, I wouldn't mind a version of Maschine built for the power of the recent iPad Pro, as they did with Traktor DJ 2 which is almost like a lite version of Traktor Pro 3. Sort of an evolution of iMaschine, I dont expect it to run a full Komplete Suite anytime soon but I would kind of be fine with only built-in instruments if the app were to be cross-compatible with the computer version. Maybe a Jam iPad version too, since it doesn't have velocity sensitivity anyway and got the touch strips it wouldn't change all that much feel-wise. If those could somehow be connected directly to an MK3 or Mikro Mk3, that would be cool.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  6. Stormchild

Stormchild NI Product Owner

For me, the prospect of Maschine with a dedicated controller is to focus on making music without the distractions of the computer. I don't need it to be portable…I just want to keep my attention on the controller and not need to look at the computer screen at all. Maschine is the only computer-based tool that makes this possible (with the Studio or mk3). As far as I know, you can do literally everything except name things and rearrange groups. Even all the settings are accessible. You do need to look at the computer the first time you save a new project, unfortunately (would be cool if it could just save new ones in the default location with the current date and time as the name), but otherwise it basically offers total freedom from the computer screen.

And anyway, if you have a laptop, Maschine is portable enough, especially now that it has a built-in audio interface.

• Like Like x 1
  7. D-One

Actually, you dont need to, with an MK3 you can just use Save-Copy and it will be named "New Project 1" Save-Copy again and it will be "New Project - 2" and so on... If you got a Studio then its a no go unless you modify some stuff to force it to work.

• Informative Informative x 2
  8. SupremeSoulstice

SupremeSoulstice NI Product Owner

“standalone's out there and barely anyone buys them”..

Yo.. are you sure about that?

9. D-One

Absolutely, both online and IRL.
    I can't see how someone would think the standalone user's numbers can get to the heals of the amount of DAW+controller users.
    I can also say: "No one uses Pro-Tools anymore", it's not a literal statement as of course there's bunch Pro studios that still use it but can it really compare to what most people use nowadays? I dont think so. That perception might change for someone who hangs out a lot in a specialized forum like GS or anywhere else where the age average is around 50 years old.

Last edited: Jun 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  10. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

that's absolutely true. i use it on a daily basis in the train during may travels to/from work (about 2 hours in total every day). and you should see all the kids/people looking at me thinking "what the hell is this guy doing with this blinky-thingy on his legs while headbanging and jamming away ;)
    its so portable that it even fits in my notebook-bag...
    and don't underestimate the effect you have with such a "blinky-thingy" to the girls. it gave me allready 2 dates, because they asked me what i'm doing and ...blablalba...you know :p:cool::cool:

• Funny Funny x 3
  11. laszlozoltan

laszlozoltan NI Product Owner

I think Akai should be applauded for their efforts developing different tools/instruments to the market. And for touring artists, I can see the appeal of a simple portable device that can get them in and out of a venue or an airport with the least amount of fuss. Its competition that hires developers, brings them into a team and helps open new worlds of possibilities for us to explore and enjoy. Dont mock them, honor them- none of them are fools- they all had to jump through hoops before anyone gave their resume a glance: and of all the fields they could have chosen, this one is the one they chose. Be grateful, and humble towards the director who took a chance on a idea: we are the benefactors of their drive

• Like Like x 2
  12. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats Guest

I bet new hardware for studio but no software update with a song feature.
    I honestly could go for a new studio version myself but not with out software I just won't do it until a song feature is added.

13. BigPictureSound

BigPictureSound NI Product Owner

You are overthinking this. No one is mocking, and finding humor in a core feature missing is no different than you summing up an entire Heavyocity release as “meh” (your words). But let’s hold that applause for one moment..

Not exactly a shining endorsement of “simple and portable” to those “touring artists”. I like what Akai does and you are right to support developers of a worthy cause, but the Force lacked the R&D finesse of previous products.

Last edited: Jun 23, 2019