Maschine Studio - High CPU Usage - Constant MACPro Hangs - Help?!

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by fattymatthews, Jul 14, 2017.

1. fattymatthews

fattymatthews Forum Member

Does everyone get crazy CPU usage / spikes when using Machine in Standalone? And why does Activity Monitor show 150.4% CPU and the Process Group for Maschine 2 show 72.65%. - Picture Attached. Who else gets this?! What about peoples Kernel_task, whats your CPU Showing? Whats normal?!

Maschine + Komplete CPU Usage.png Maschine + Komplete CPU Usage.png

For months I have had issues with my Mac Pro Hanging. Machine locks up, the hardware LCD screens go Grey on Maschine Studio Hardware. And then Max OS X 10.12.5 Sierra Dumps you at the login screen. You have to reboot to get the Mac Pro working properly. I originally thought it was Machine causing the issue, but lately had other apps cause the hangs also. Blimmin nightmare. I have swapped out RAM, Checked to make sure RAM is installed properly. Nothing works. Done everything. Updated NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 Drivers. Stuff out there saying it could be graphics. Setup Machine as advised my NI. 48,000 Sample Rate + 256 Buffer + WiFi Off + Samples on Own Drive +You name it, i've tried it.

Really just curious as to the CPU Usage here and peoples thoughts? If anyone has suggestions on trying to get a Stable Mac Pro, where it doesnt hang randomly, that would be awesome also. I have read all the cr4p on the Internets, so much stuff out there and it seems is across the board all MAC's / Models. (Makes me feel slightly better its not the Music Demons Targeting Me and My Setup).

For what its worth My Rig Is Made Up From:

Mac Pro (Mid 2010)
    Processor: 2 x 3.46 GHz 6-Core Intel Xeon
    Memory: 32 GB 1333 MHz DDR3 ( Have had up to 48GB And have pulled out all Ram Chips individually to isolate issue, same thing, MACPRO Hangs with whatever RAM Chip is installed...)
    Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 670 2048 MB
    HDDS: Multiple SSD's, OSX On its own Dedicated SSD, All Samples on other SSDs.

Maschine: 2.6.6 (R102)
    Maschine Studio
    Komplete Kontrol 61
    Komplete Ultimate 11

Meh, someone help if they have similar hanging issues!?

2. fattymatthews

fattymatthews Forum Member

Can i *Bump* this question?!

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

This is a very hard question to answer, having 150% CPU is odd to say the least.
    Those Xeons are super powerful but i doubt NI is testing or optimising their software for 2010 systems, westmere cpu microarchitecture its quite old by todays standards.

On my desktop Hackintosh with a very light project it fluctuates on 75/90% with a relatively low CPU load..
    I have a i7 4790k, nvme ssd, GTX970, 8GB this what my AM shows:

[​IMG]

On my macbook pro thinks look more normal altho the specs are technically lower:
    (13" mid 2015, 2,7GHz i5, 8GB 1867MHz DDR3, crappy Iris graphics 6100 1.5GB)

[​IMG]

Comparing both computers cpu usage doesn't make much sense, the slower computer seems to be faster.. o_O

4. AParlato

AParlato New Member

I know this is an old thread but i have the same issue with practically the exact system you have and i can't find much online.
    Did you find a solution to this?

thanks

5. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

doesn’t > 100% mean it’s going beyond a single full core?

6. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher NI Product Owner

This is why we created the Dual 10 Core system running MAC Mojave.

with 40 threads the system still gets eaten up by Maschine :)

7. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Not exactly because the load is always distributed through the available physical cores, it doesn't fully load one then goes on the next sequentially.

Activity monitor % percentages make no sense to me, the "real" usage is below where it says "CPU Load".
    I have 6 Cores and 12 Threads when Maschine software reports 100% usage (top icon in the app) Activity Monitor reports 400% app usage + around 35% overall CPU usage. Threads arent used at all:

[​IMG]
    (The blue drop-down is iStatsMenu)

I am curious to know what your mac pro reports when MAschine is pegged at 100% basehead617, can you share it pls?

When I push Maschine hard I still have a lot of of processing left to do other stuff, which is odd... If Cubase is exporting, for example, my computer gets sluggish and can't do anything else as all resources are allocated to the task...

What do you mean Sir? The number of threads is pointless, Maschine doesn't have hyperthreading, only real cores count.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 3, 2020
  8. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher NI Product Owner

Then 20 D-One ... sorry man sheesh