1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

MASCHINE STUDIO Is Not Recognized after Updating Windows 10

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Toby @ NI, Feb 14, 2019.

1. lys_knight

lys_knight New Member

WOW I was about to go and buy a Maschine from my Guitar Center until I saw this... standing down until I see a fix.

2. TRVMUZIC

TRVMUZIC New Member

Hey Fellow Maschinists,

I am glad to report that after uninstalling one of the KBs, my Maschine Studio is alive once again!!!! However, I am trusting that the NI group are working on making their hardware drivers more robust to stand up to MSs Security Updates. Also, due to Toby's Windows setup, I am considering an upgrade from Win 10 Home to Pro. Group Policy huh.... In lieu of Pausing the upgrades, I simply turned off the Automatic download of the upgrades. I'm using a rather robust Antivirus/Firewall combo from VIPRE so I'm covered with security.

Feels good seeing the Studio's Orange screen again.......

Anyhow, let's get these drivers updated!!

3. Mo'Roc Levy

Mo'Roc Levy New Member

I hope this is fixed. I've tried uninstalling haven't been able to work for about a week now. I am feeling a little ripped off being that I purchase and I am a supporter of NI. This is unbelievable considering the prices we pay for gear. I understand it's not their issue but in reality, I am unsure of what the future holds with myself and NI:(:(:(

• Like Like x 2
  4. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

It's very much their issue what I see. Let me know if any other driver's fail because of these security updates.

• Like Like x 1
  5. lkmofo

lkmofo New Member

I cba selling my studio and S49 for very little return on eBay and all of us on here seem to have invested a large chunk of change into our setups. It's really unfair that I see NI advertising every day showing someone getting down with a MK3 micro or an A series keyboard while I'm at home with what was supposed to be the flagship model that's now a really inconvenient waste of space. I'm not the only long time patron that feels hard done by and we all deserve better for buying into the company years ago. Can we get a daily uupdate please? Can we expect any reperations for lost worktime, opportunities? I'm guessing maybe a e-voucher? A big 'E' voucher.

Last edited: Feb 26, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

Please excuse my ignorance if I am incorrect but as Microsoft is the O/S should your code not be written to work with it ?
    I do understand that it was working and the issue could be that Microsoft have changed some of their code and that is why you now have a problem,
    Again excuse me if I am wrong but do Microsoft not have developers versions of their software for company's to test out before they release it to the general public ?
    From my point of view it looks like NI have been trying to add new revenue streams which in it's self is what business is all about, but you should always keep an eye on your current user base, and it looks like NI have dropped the ball on this front.
    We are now passed days and into weeks with this issue, please don't let it continue into months.

Scott

• Like Like x 4
  7. CakeAlexS

One month is fine, as long as the pause happens basically, just not any longer please.

8. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

I'm kinda getting tired of uninstalling the KB4487044 update every day. I don't intend on upgrading to Windows 10 Pro because of a problem that's caused by an NI product/driver.

I also find it hilarious that NI blames Microsoft for the problem. I've not heard of any other products that suddenly stopped working after KB4487044, the only products affected are made by NI. This means NI needs to fix this, not MS.

• Like Like x 1
  9. FERNANDO RIVERA JR

FERNANDO RIVERA JR New Member

I am currently running windows 8.1... which updates am I looking for with my version? This just happened to me.... I thought my hardware took a dump. Thanks in advance if someone can help me with this.

10. TRVMUZIC

TRVMUZIC New Member

Try uninstalling the KB4487017 update. Once this uninstalls and you restart your PC, your sleeping hardware should come back to life. This is an NI issue more than MS.

11. TRVMUZIC

TRVMUZIC New Member

That statement from Toby was way off. As a long-time Maschine Studio owner, they have not updated that driver since the birth of the controller. They have updated the Maschine software, but not the hardware driver. At least from what I know....

12. CakeAlexS

Why aren't you putting windows update on pause as stated on NI's article?

13. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

Looks like you only read the first sentence of my post. Windows 10 Home Edition does not have the pause option and I'm not going to pay $150 to upgrade to Pro because of a problem created by NI.

Anyway, I found a tool from Microsoft to hide certain updates, preventing them from (re)installing. I've hidden KB4487044 with it so hopefully this solves the issue until a permanent fix is available.

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. CakeAlexS

Ah I though this had already happened (I'm wrong), maybe Insider (don't recommend):
    https://www.howtogeek.com/fyi/windows-10-home-will-finally-let-you-pause-updates/

15. wolfwhite

wolfwhite New Member

On Windows Home you can set network to metered, see how ex. here:
    https://pureinfotech.com/windows-10-set-wifi-ethernet-metered-connections/
    then Windows will show updates but you have to click 'download' manually.

Method with stop update service is working only for a few days, then Windows automatically up service again.

Meanwhile we wait for fix.

P.S. NI mail advertising is so annoying in this hard time :(.

• Like Like x 1
  16. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

I tried this, but after a few days it installed the update anyway. This trick only seems to work properly with a wifi connection and my PC is connected via an ethernet cable.

17. Whoo

Whoo New Member

Any updates on this matter NI?

18. CakeAlexS

An update was given 30 hours ago in this very thread

19. backbeat2

backbeat2 NI Product Owner

The main problem is that the Microsoft Update updates the drivers as keyboard HID devices.
    Maybe NI have to just update the Maschine drivers .
    Problem is that you can´t change the drivers of the HID keyboard devices manually.
    Windows is just asking for kompatible keyboard drivers, you can´t update the drivers to the NI drivers manually.

• Funny Funny x 1
  20. van Grieg

van Grieg NI Product Owner

It appears that’s what they’re trying to avoid. Working on “the future of sound”, you know. :)