Maschine Studio MK2 - What features would you want?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by LEGENDARYFINS, Oct 3, 2017.

1. bobbyduracel

bobbyduracel NI Product Owner

Yeah, 8in/8out would be nice - if they put a solid, HQ converter in there - because really I could ditch another box.

The X offers this robust IO, and if I didn't so strongly dislike their DAW I'd still have my pre-order for that on the books. It just makes sense to simplify the setup. The MK3 IO is awesome for live portability, but I do wish the unit had a 2 or 4 port USB hub and a phono ground on the back - to again remove little things from the setup (USB hub, phono preamp/z2).

I have a Clarett 8in/8out thunderbolt interface and it's slick, but if I didn't need it, that's another $400 and one less thing to fail/glitch/update.

2. bobbyduracel

I can also see live setups with analog gear that would benefit from this, as I would not need another submixer in the setup.

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

That's a double-edged sword. If the hypothetical StudioMK3 fails seriously then you are left with no Controller + interface and lose 2 things at once until its fixed. It also adds a ton of money to the price for everyone including the people who don't need that many INS/Outs, i would be pissed because I have no need for that much IO.

Here's an idea. The Studio-MK3 would come with a regular IO like the current MK3 but it would be upgradable for those who need more INS/OUTS.
    Classic MPCs had this expandable option
    http://www.mpchunter.com/mpc-2000/8-output-expansion-board-for-mpc-2000-2000xl-or-s2000/

This would make some customers happy and make NI more money... Win-Win.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
  4. bobbyduracel

Yeah, true that. I just don't see the $1199 price tag holding up without some more robust IO and other features, as the MPC really does win in the "strictly hardware" sense. NI has made the Audio 8 and Audio 10 for years, so one could hope they've already reached the lower cost-per-unit and they had tons of extra IO components sitting in the warehouse so that they could offer their better IO without the $1999 price tag.

5. Samplemunch

Samplemunch New Member

Was this posted as a joke ?
    Hardware units had this feature because they are all in one units, Maschine is connected to a computer with various options for expansion.

6. D-One

Nope, not a joke. I couldn't care less about more IO and i also couldn't care less about a stand-alone but as you can clearly see by this thread lots and lots of people wish the IO on the MK3 had more INS/OUT's, Phono Input, XLR, Phantom Power, etc... An expandable IO could be a solution for them.

For me, it makes 0 sense since anyone with the need for a proper interface already has one. And those who have this idea of selling their interface if a Maschine with all those options come out forget that for everything audio related they would need to turn on the controller.
    Want to watch a movie on your computer? Turn on Maschine.
    Record just vocals, instruments or just mix in a DAW? Turn on Maschine...
    Again, to me, it makes no sense, but that's me and my humble opinion, to others it's a genius idea.

Last edited: Oct 4, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  7. bobbyduracel

RIGHT! Each person has their needs/perfect setup in mind. I don't need to turn on anything to watch a movie on my computer - because I watch movies on my Apple TV. My production desk is for production and homework. I really tend to only record from a small collection of analog synths or from vinyl, and in those cases I have two mixers which also function as interfaces (Denon Prime X1800, Traktor Z2) so really right now I have three interfaces. MK3 will be #4. I can run multiple channels into my Denon and route them all into Ableton very easily, and that is a perfectly fine IO with options for FX and such. It actually has two interfaces built in, which adds some routing capability.

I don't record multiple musicians in my studio, or use multiple mics at once, on a normal day. At most, I route 8 channels from the Toraiz or 8 channels of analog synths into the Clarett. I could also do this almost with any other 8in interface really.

To me, I'm either powering on my Clarett to route audio into the speakers, or I'm clicking on the Maschine box. Six in one hand, half dozen in the other. I don't know if I would unload my Clarett or not, but for most of my sessions I could get away with a different interface.

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. Masch1ne

Masch1ne NI Product Owner

Yes I also have the Roland MV8800 which has an expandable I/0 adaptor.

It's a stupid idea.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Masch1ne

Masch1ne NI Product Owner

You are misunderstanding me completely both times. I couldn't be bothered reiterating.

10. J-Fly

J-Fly NI Product Owner

You guys are being modest. I want a standalone Maschine Studio. It doesn't have to be the entire Komplete package. Just the Select and make a way to integrate Komplete via an external drive. Bigger screen (it has to be touchscreen because that's what everyone's doing I guess). Obviously a high quality audio interface with dedicated phono input. I'll gladly pay $2K+ for all of that.

11. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

I'd like a programmable joystick..............................

• Like Like x 1
  12. certifiedbeatz

certifiedbeatz NI Product Owner

It would be mice to have all in one.. the mpc software does enough you really can go wrong maschime software is nice but i think it really has reached its capacity without a makeover which most here would hate. I paid umder 1900 for my x and could not see biying anything else for a few years.. again why buy the new mk3 and k2 with the same software kust does not add up for me.. there software been around for 9 years.. ever year new hardware same limitations with the software every year.. i rather see maschine 3.0 fully redesigned..

13. Dr. EviL

Dr. EviL New Member

A pad 'latch' or 'hold' button. I CANNOT believe that my recently purchased maschine studio does not have one.
    I never in a million years would have thought it possibly wouldn't, and I would not have bought it if I had known.

14. schrage musik

schrage musik NI Product Owner

What would that be used for?, please?

15. Dr. EviL

Dr. EviL New Member

to allow a pad sample to loop as long as desired without the need to hold it down by finger. Thus enabling me to switch between groups of pads to test various sounds mixability

16. Dr. EviL

Dr. EviL New Member

I mean why even have choke groups if your finger has to be holding the pad down anyway.
    *Removing my finger while engaging the next sound* = analog choke group??

17. Dr. EviL

Dr. EviL New Member

A hold button like any of the roland sp series samplers or a latch button like many or all of the akai mpc machines is absolutely essential to me. Even the TORAIZ SP-16 has a hold button. I find it absolutely absurd that this thing does not.

• Like Like x 2
  18. RudeGullit

RudeGullit NI Product Owner

Because a closed hihat may have a release time that is too long? That way you would hear the tail of the closed hihat while you press the open hihat. Not what I want.

edit: same goes for samples btw.

19. D-One

When your notion of explanation is "its stupid" it's a bit hard to understand but its all good. I hope you're not offended or holding on to some kind of grudge just because we disagree on some things.

20. DA RIPPER

DA RIPPER NI Product Owner

A standalone that can run vsts ..more like 4k plus