Maschine Studio MKii Thought...

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mr609, Aug 18, 2019.

1. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Stand alone can´t grow but i can use maschine with a new more powerfull computer. I know akai does both, stand alone and as controller, but lets say you start a song stand alone then go to pc and add stuff that is not aviable stand alone, then i´m on the road and now a can´t edit the song?
    Just buy a ms surface(book) and there you go. If stand alone then native should divide it from maschine or as an addition.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  2. AL’DREAD

AL’DREAD NI Product Owner

it’s debatable that stand-alone can’t grow , it depends on the tech inside it , the Akai are getting updated, obviously at some point it will be old tech doesn’t mean it’s obsolete.
    I get the other issue about editing on the road , but to me that’s a minor inconvenience, if we could freeze to audio that would be cool
    I’d definitely prefer hybrid over a separate stand-alone tho

3. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

sure if i can choose also a non stand alone maschine - "just" the controller

4. AL’DREAD

They should definitely continue to make just the controller

• Like Like x 2
  5. phdbeats

phdbeats NI Product Owner

As a sample based hiphop producer, I don't need an extremely powerful standalone that loads resource hogging VSTs. Just give me a touchscreen with a nice built in EQ and I am good to go. I want to be able to take the machine anywhere and not rely on a computer as it just adds to the cumbersome factor of the hardware.

The Maschine software in its current state meets my needs. I understand that this is different for the VST heavy guys, but I am looking for a similar device to the new AKAI machines with Maschine software. Oh, I also love the rotary knobs too, so keeping these for chopping samples would be huge for me.

• Like Like x 2
  6. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

then i would look for a korg electribe s

• Funny Funny x 1
  7. AL’DREAD

Another thing that could be cool with a stand-alone, would be using it with a daw like logic , without using the maschine plugin

8. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

My thinking too, I’m all about my resource hogging vst’s.. which is why I have a beastly desktop running it.

If I’d go for something standalone, I’d want something simple portable and elegant too. I like those Elektron devices, they’re expensive though... but then, if you buy one and make all your music with it, what is expensive? It’s always cheaper than a workstation with a DAW and something like Komplete.

• Like Like x 1
  9. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Nonsense like this is why Maschine doesn't grow.
    People are just to drawn to flashy lights instead of true functionality.
    We new growth in the software not new controllers.
    I'll say it again for those who don't understand, we new growth in the software not new controllers.

• Like Like x 4
    • Bad Spelling Bad Spelling x 2
  10. phdbeats

phdbeats NI Product Owner

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine I respectfully disagree. The MPC series controllers have flashy lights now and they have done well with sales. Their software is finally starting to come around in terms of features and stability, as well. Having owned both, I feel that the NI ecosystem is much more user-friendly and easier to navigate. If we had a device that we could take on a train, plane, or other on-the-go spot that has enough of a robust version of the regular Maschine software, it would be a win-win. Look how popular the MPC Live is. In the hiphop community, it has really blown up; I feel that the same could happen with a Maschine standalone.

I also agree that we don't need more controllers. We need a standalone device capable of producing music on its own without being tethered to a computer (until we are home in our own studios, where we can then connect to full versions of software). While I love my MK3, it would be better to have it work without lugging a cumbersome laptop around for on the go music production. Having all of my Maschine expansions and the ability to sample from a small device, such as a phone could be done on a park bench, flight terminal, etc easily and with limited space too.

When people need to export stems and mix in Logic, ProTools, etc, they can wait until they get home to leverage the processing power of a computer, as well.

I have found the Maschine software to be more than sufficient for my music making and mixing needs. I hope this will be the same for those that currently use third party programs to meet their mixing needs. I know that this is a long term goal of NI as they are continuing to make Maschine software a full fledged DAW.

Last edited: Aug 23, 2019
  11. HammyHavoc

HammyHavoc NI Product Owner

Thing is, how big of a market is there for someone who wants the power and workflow of a MK3, whilst out of the studio? Regularly? And would be willing to drop $2000 on it? And hasn't already bought into an MPC, OP1, or similar? I'm willing to bet it's a very, very small demographic of the existing user base for Maschine, and recouping R&D costs etc on a product like that is tough, especially if you don't nail it or are slow bringing critical features to the device that your competition have had for years.

Whilst I do like the idea of an all-in-one Mikro-sized device for use whilst travelling, realistically, I don't know how much time I'd spend using it in a portable state, and if I'm playing catch-up with audio work whilst I'm on public transport like a plane or train, I probably shouldn't have traveled in the first place when it's beyond ideal circumstances to work within. Would I use it on the beach? Sure, I guess I'd go for more walks (criminal that I don't given that I'm a minute's walk from the beach) and sit somewhere pretty making tunes. But realistically, I live in England, we don't get a lot of sunny days; the beach isn't so glam-sounding now, huh? ;)

Significant update to iMaschine and bringing it to Android? Sweet, nice toy, would get a lot of use from a lot of people as there's no significant outlay as they already own the hardware, even I'd use it if it was on Android (as a former iOS years ago). Hooking up a Mikro controller to a phone app? Even better if you're an enthusiast.

As for NI making Maschine's standalone software a full fledged DAW? I disagree. It's still described as a production system, which it is, but it's most definitely not even remotely close to a dedicated DAW. You can't do basic stuff like vocal comping, you can't score to picture, there's no integration with gaming middleware. It will never catch up with DAWs, and it isn't meant to, nor are NI trying to. If all you've used DAW-wise is Ableton Live's Session view, I would be inclined to agree that Maschine is seemingly quite DAW-like, but even Ableton Live misses critical features that other DAWs have had for literally decades at this point.

Whatever gets added to Maschine also has to work on the controller, that's fundamental to NI's attitude towards features. Imagine it being like JJ OS for MPC hardware iterations; sure, it may change with every hardware generation, hopefully bringing worthwhile improvements, but it's still the same fundamental hardware workflow. Whilst devices are more powerful and more feature-rich than in the days of JJ OS, and even prior to it, we're still using this style of hardware for the same tasks. There's good argument to be made that Maschine doesn't need to be all-singing and all-dancing, but it should have some obvious, intuitive, and expected features of a modern workflow.

• Like Like x 3
  12. BuleriaChk

BuleriaChk NI Product Owner

Akai Force doesn't even have time signatures in 2019. (They say they are coming ,, someday)
    I got an $800 sweetheart deal on a one-off on Ebay (brand new, sealed, and everything) and sold it for a profit ... :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  13. HammyHavoc

And there goes all interest whatsoever I had in checking one out properly for the time being. This is what I'm saying though; it may as well just be flashing lights when they're lacking obvious features with Akai's current lineup. Hate to say it, but that's where it's at. Only 4/4 in 2019 at that price point? They need all the celeb names they can get to shift that.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  14. tslays

tslays NI Product Owner

Wow, only 4/4? You cannot change the time signature to something else?
    I feel bad complaining so much about MASCHINE now.

15. HammyHavoc

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

There is no reason why a standalone Maschine would need to be $2000...none.

assume that $600 mk3 meets NI model margin.. and assume that is 50% ... so add a modest $400 NUC that NI can source for (even) $300.. so add $600.. add another $100 parts cost for random other stuff.. so its $600 (mk3) + $600 (computer) + $200 ((stuff) and its $1399.

thats with an off the shelf NUC.. running a stripped version controlled windows meaning minimal changes to maschine software

Pretty much any fool that paid $1000 for the studio controller would be all over this... and yes, i was one of those

• Funny Funny x 1
  17. tslays

tslays NI Product Owner

I think $999 would be more realistic.
    Because probably you need to buy most components like SSD, SD card.
    Basically it needs a CPU and RAM. But not really a whole computer.

• Funny Funny x 2
  18. HammyHavoc

Yeah, that's a lot of nice assumption, but it's not going to happen, and isn't how these kinds of products are designed, licensed, or manufactured.

See the MPC X, the price point of it, the hardware it uses, and the lack of Windows as an OS.

Do you seriously think someone is going to buy what's basically a laptop inside a Maschine and sit through Windows Updates on it? Not going to happen. People wanting standalone don't want a fully featured OS, they want the modern equivalent of JJ OS, or what Akai are now doing.

What you're describing would be better as a stand/dock for existing units.

• Like Like x 1
  19. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

The Studio was originally $999 and just a controller, and that was years ago. On what planet would they release a stand-alone device for that price?

• Like Like x 2
  20. HammyHavoc

Exactly. It's an incredibly niche product within an already niche market. This isn't something they're going to sell a lot of, just like Akai aren't going to sell a lot of MPC X, but it's there for whoever wants it, as it's an expansion of their existing product line, and keeps people buying their products. They've also got the history of the MPC as a brand and iconic piece of hip-hop history, that alone will always sell units, especially people who have been using MPCs for decades at this point and don't want to learn anything too different.

You've also got to consider that Akai have traditionally made MPCs standalone, whereas Native Instruments comes from the other end of the spectrum with it being a controller-based workflow for a piece of software on a computer. I'd be at least interested if NI did release something with standalone functionality, but I don't think it would be aimed at me in terms of target demographics. I just don't think the power is there, just like with the MPC X. It's cool for what it is, but at that price point and that kind of relatively low spec? Eh, it's not for me. But perhaps for somebody who has never owned a desktop or laptop computer in their life, and has only ever had a phone, and is just getting started, it's probably a great turn-key solution for a lot of would-be producers and artists, and best of luck to them, it's capable for sure, just not exactly all that pro, IMO at least. Without being able to run Melodyne etc, it's somewhat lacking as an all-in-one unit, even for people working on traditional records.

Do/will/have people made/make great music on MPCs? Absolutely. Same goes for Maschine. It's a tool like any other. I came up on MPCs and JJ OS, I loved the standalone nature for what it was when I was starting out. But going professional, you kind of need a DAW that adheres to industry standards and can run industry-standard software, especially if you want to be competitive in terms of turnaround time and pricing. Maschine ticks the box for me there; it's a hardware workflow for what it needs to be in terms of efficiency, with the power of a beefy desktop rig, and endless range of software. Given the choice, I don't really see the advantage to an all-in-one unit unless you travel a lot.