1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Maschine Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mick @ NI, May 16, 2017.

1. Mick @ NI

Mick @ NI Banaholic NI Team

• Like Like x 10
    • Informative Informative x 3
  2. Mick @ NI

[reserved for future editing]

3. Mick @ NI

[reserved for future editing]

4. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  5. encdee

encdee Forum Member

I think I might already know the answer, but how do you feel about people also posting questions about how to do certain tips and tricks as well? That way it can sort of drive the growth of the thread, while answering specific request at the same time :)

If you think it will make the thread too cluttered I understand, just wanted to see what the OP thinks..

Sent from my Studio XL 2 using Tapatalk

6. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

I'd say go for it. The questions and triggers for the tricks can always be cleared up and deleted if the thread is to be kept pure. :p

7. encdee

encdee Forum Member

Well cool.. In that case I would like to start off by asking if there is a way to set different tempos for different scenes in the same project?

Obviously it can done manually but you'd have to commit each one to memory..

If there isn't a built in way, does anyone have any workarounds that they can recommend?

Sent from my Studio XL 2 using Tapatalk

8. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

It depends if you have Live 9 (any version, even the OEM Live Lite or Intro)...

9. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...unless it isn't a huge oversight on my part, there is no tempo automation in Maschine. So the only way to have different tempi would be using it as a plug-in in a host with tempo automation. And I guess, there might be no way to do this via any virtual midi cables for the standalone version, as the tempo control itself can't be automated.

About the general question how to manage tips and tricks in the forum - posting questions here in this thread might indeed clutter it and I always think, posting threads with specific questions to be answered by the all-knowing swarm-intelligence, that is this forum, is actually how forums are supposed to work in my view. So, I think everyone should be posting his issue in the main forum, and, if a helpful solution has been presented or developed there, then there should be a link to that thread here. Either by Mick and Keir, as it may belong to their official NI work duties of running this forum or - if that's OK, @Mick @ NI - that members of this forum might suggest useful threads to you via pm and you link them here.

Either way, I think, creating some kind of subsections for this tips & tricks thread might be helpful - could be that the dummy posts are meant for that. Or, since I have read about considerations of restructuring the entire forum here (https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/the-forums-need-some-love.316594/), it could be a sub-forum in the future. Perhaps in the meantime we could come up with useful sections here. From the top of my head I can think of these aspects, that might be interesting:

Arranging & Automation (i.e. rather technical stuff - a how to - the aesthetic apects of these might be adressed in the two following sections)

Sound Design

Composition

Templates & Instrument Integration (again technical stuff)

Something along these lines. But generally, I think. it's really good, if there would be more engagement in showing and talking about how Maschine works and might be used - quite often I feel, that some complaints exist because people might not know how to use Maschine properly (in its current state) or how to use it more efficiently. Some posts have a notion of "it doesn't work the way I want or imagine it, so Maschine is crap" (which is a BS POV) and I think, an initiative like this thread might help to diminish these views.

PS - the Trutorials are really cool! :thumbsup::thumbsup:Please, more of it - also considering how NI products might work together in general (I'm also thinking about doing something in this area).

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  10. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

There is no automation (or even MIDI control) of tempo in Maschine. On its own anyway. Add a version of Live 9 with Link enabled and it can be done...

By either setting up Scenes in Live to change the tempo (just name the Scene the tempo e.g., "129bpm") and then MIDI-mapping notes from Maschine (via loopback MIDI) to launch those Scenes or mapping a CC (MIDI macro) from Maschine to control Live's tempo
    OR
    by using ClyphX (my preferred option) and using MIDI from Maschine to trigger ClyphX tempo commands (which also allow ramping up/down to the target tempo overt a specified number of bars).

11. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...yup, thought so, too, but I wasn't sure and generally you know these things better than me -

obviously :D...

12. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

Although this method does require another application running (and one that can do such things with its proverbial eyes closed), Live doesn't need to do anything or have anything loaded (other than the MIDI mappings or ClyphX). To me, it's not much more of a workaround than using a plugin that Maschine doesn't offer itself.

The absolute WORST thing about it though is that Link state is not remembered, so it has to be manually enabled each time the applications are started (which annoys the hell out of me). :mad:

13. Mick @ NI

We are happy to have an amazing amount of knowledgable people on the forums, and I can understand that sometimes it must be a bit tiring to write responds to the same questions over and over again.
    So yes, we would be all up for starting a 'tutorial section' where we can have a curated list of helpful posts.

Come to think of it, we could give some of the people in the community a special forum title with extra rights in that specific subforum.
    Making them the kings of knowledge in the subforum ;)

How does something like that sound?

• Like Like x 3
  14. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...indeed, it's one of these things that touch on the subject of how to approach things with Maschine. Quite often it seems to me, that most people want to have a workflow in an environment, in which the different production stages are interlocking seamlessly (with the option of going back and forth) and that's indeed not how things can be done with Maschine currently (no matter how annoying this is and how tempting the thought of having everything under one roof may be).

So things like "extended" arranging, i.e. tempo & rhythm changes, cutting sections ( :p ), might be done better in a DAW in my opinion. People always seem to dismiss Maschine and say it would be "just a scratch pad", but to me it's a more powerful scratch pad than Ableton Live (because of its browser and instrument integration). But speaking of the scratch pad this would be my suggestion for tips & tricks:

One (! :)) way of a Maschine-DAW integration:

https://www.native-instruments.com/...e-9-some-tips-needed-plz.274047/#post-1485677

...these are also things that help me all the time:

Recording Midi Modulation from a host into Maschine (with the kind help of Mr36):

https://www.native-instruments.com/forum/threads/modulation-in-maschine.231728/page-2

Triggering Lock States in Maschine standalone via midi:

https://www.native-instruments.com/...jam-buyers-remorse.314388/page-5#post-1560617

...something of interest for working with Blocks inside of Maschine I found out recently:

https://www.native-instruments.com/...blocks-1-3-kodiak-blocks.315717/#post-1570958

Last edited: Jun 2, 2017
    • Like Like x 1
  15. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...crowning others to reduce the workload - smart man!! :D:thumbsup:

• Funny Funny x 1
  16. Mick @ NI

Busted ;)

• Like Like x 2
    • Funny Funny x 1
  17. loachm

loachm NI Product Owner

...nothing wrong with that - most likely I'd do the same. ;)

18. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

Since this thread has already taken off in various directions, perhaps treating post #1 as a table of contents, with links to portions of the thread under the sub-headings of the topic areas you suggest, would be a good approach. Someone would have to maintain that, however. So, ideally the idea of a sub-forum with its own sub-topic areas is going to be the easiest to maintain, as the posts will be self-organizing that way.

If anyone wants to contribute by making their own videos, PM me for help if you need it. I've made 170 videos at YouTube, with probably 150 of those being tutorial videos or videos using camera and screen-captures. (See my sig.) I have used CamStudio (ignore that some antivirus programs call out the installer as a PUP, or POTENTIALLY unwanted program) and OBS primarily, using Voicemeeter Pro "Banana" or Regular Voicemeeter as my ASIO-to-WDM device and as an audio mixer, and all three are free, though Voicemeeter is donationware and you should contribute something to the author if you use it extensively. I have tutorials galore on all four programs at my channel. I recommend going the OBS/Voicemeeter route for the most flexibility.

CamStudio tutorials playlist

OBS (Classic) tutorials playlist

Voicemeeter (regular and pro) tutorials playlist

Terry

19. CH7

CH7 NI Product Owner

Last edited: Aug 20, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  20. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

For posterity, here are (I think) all the individual Sounds from the various Maschine factory library Groups...

Attached Files:

• Like Like x 1