1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine Tips and Tricks

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mick @ NI, May 16, 2017.

1. Majestic Dakim

Majestic Dakim NI Product Owner

Is it possible someone @ NI could explain why, after updating to 2.8, every time I open Maschine, it is scanning my ENTIRE library, even though I have it set not to? I haven't added anything new, so why is it checking for new items? It takes hours for the scans to complete. At this rate, I'll get to work on my tracks maybe 3 times in a week. this shyt is ridiculous! Please see that this is remedied or send me a link to your or anyone's buy back program. I'm fed up, for real!!!

2. terrybritton

terrybritton NI Product Owner

Are you kidding me? It takes HOURS to scan???? I own Komplete 11 Ultimate and plenty of other things that are NKS and it never takes more than five minutes to scan everything. I am calling this a user issue, not an NI issue. Something is wrong with your computer setup.

Terry

3. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

With 2.8 a few users reported absurdly time-consuming rescan time right after the update when the library is being converted to the new NKS format, it sounds like for some reason his setup having an issue and keeps converting at every launch since he has re-scan at startup disabled and it still happens anyway. Just speculating tho.

4. Majestic Dakim

Majestic Dakim NI Product Owner

Ok, here we go with the specs: HP Probook 6560b, i7 Octa-core @3.8 Ghz, 16 GB Ram, and a 1.5TB Samsung 860 Evo SSD. All sound content is stored on an external 2TB SSD. I have been building, repairing, installing and updating mine and others software and computers for over 20 years. I have identified problems with systems that, when speaking to software and hardware manufacturers, even they had no idea of. Now, how's that for "operator error"? This is the first update that doesn't seem to show any consistency, except to just make one very frustrated. Great and granted, my sound library is HUGE, but it's always been that way. Why should now be any different?

5. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Majestic Dakim I understand you're upset but consider opening your own thread about your issue or filling a ticket to official tech support because this is not really the appropriate place. Quoting a NI Official that has nothing to do with support and hoping for a reply might not be your best bet. Even if someone is aware of a bug or work around finding your OG post in this thread is unlikely, up to you.

6. baridw1

baridw1 NI Product Owner

I had a session about a month ago, some of my instruments were not showing up so I decided to scan the plugins library. I had recently upgraded to Mojave, was using Maschine 2.7.x whatever the latest version was before 2.8. It took 3-4 hours to scan all my plugins and libraries. I took it as a lesson learned, never scan libraries in the middle of a session. I ended up downgrading back to High Sierra with a cloned drive because of the scan and other issues. I'm not saying this was definitely a bug however I can say I have witnessed it. External 3 TB Lacie Drive 15 inch Retina MBP i7 16GB Thunderbolt. Logic X (Latest version) Maschine latest version of 2.7.x

7. Et_Voila

Et_Voila NI Product Owner

Hello,

I'm still with 2.7.10. Maschine Studio.

Outside of sound.com : Can somebody tell me if it's worth it to update, knowing that I won't use sounds.com ?

8. affinia

affinia NI Product Owner

9. telecode101

telecode101 NI Product Owner

Hi, I was in your shoes for longest time as i refused to update my Mac OS. It worked and it was stable. Then I messed things up and wound up having to upgrade Maschine. I can say the update added a lot of new useful features than I never knew existed while I was on 2.7.x. Check the running Maschine updates thread. I dont use Sounds.com so I can't comment on who that works or integrates.

10. Et_Voila

Et_Voila NI Product Owner

Thanks for replying, I'll search that

11. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

12. SteveK

SteveK New Member

• Informative Informative x 1
  13. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

Good find SteveK , guess we'll just have to share our own tips & tricks :D

No offense intended but although I definitely agree that the manuals are a good read I also wouldn't count them towards a 'tip or trick'.

SO... being the new kid on the Maschine pads I hope you guys can appreciate this one. Apologies if this is well known, but see comment in front ;)

One of the things I often see popping up around me (also in other communities) is that people often get a little taken back by the seemingly "black box" approach of the Maschine. After all.. you do most of your work in the software (or on the controller) and if you have some material set up you'd normally play this by turning on the transport of your DAW.

Today I discovered another way to make Maschine 'integrate' a bit more with your DAW of choice. Disclaimer: I haven't really studied the Maschine manual all that much, right now I'm fully going on trial & error.

Playing Maschine from within your DAW
    • Drag the Maschine into your DAW and set up a nice kit (group).
    • Click on the mixer icon on the top toolbar (upper left corner, after the magnifying glass).
    • The top section of the software now displays the mixer, click on the IO icon on the left side of the mixer.
    • A new strip will be displayed showing "off", change this into 'drumkit' for the group you want to play.
    Now go back to your DAW and you'll notice that you can trigger the pads ("sounds") in the group you just set to 'drumkit'. This will really allow you to play Maschine from your DAW as if it were an external instrument. If you don't change this IO setting first then the Maschine will only play the notes for whatever pad is selected, comparable to turning on instrument mode.

I discovered this while playing with the software from my laptop (connected to my PC at home through a VPN), so I'm not sure yet how to do this from the controller. yet.. as soon as I get home tomorrow I'll check up on this and edit my post accordingly.

(the 'tomorrow edit'): As I somewhat expected it's also possible to set this up from behind the Maschine controller, but the approach is a bit different. In the software you need to go to the mixer section from which you can open the IO settings (as explained above). On the controller you need to follow these steps:
    • Press the 'channel' button (upper left corner).
    • Select 'group' by pressing the white button on the top.
    • Then select 'input', either by using the 4d controller or by using the white buttons above the right display.
    • You'll see the Routing option in the lower left corner of the left screen. The rotary below it will change the value.
    (edit): This whole procedure is also explained in the Maschine manual, chapter 12.2, page 614. I just looked it up and figured I'd add this too because I'm actually only scratching the surface here :eek:

Last edited: Dec 19, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  14. ShelLuser

Jingle Bells on the Maschine!

Hi gang!

Editorial (intro)

I hope everyone is getting into the Christmas and/or Holiday season spirit? I definitely am, sorta, and this evening I decided to use my (home) studio to get my spirits even up further by trying to reproduce 'Jingle Bells'. The song is easy enough so how hard could it be? I powered up my Push, fired up Ableton Live, loaded 'Analog' (= Analog synth, duh!) and started experimenting. Soon enough I had a few of the basic takes stored away and in my inexperience I even managed to come up with a few variants which I think also sounded decent enough. But... the key note (or root note) was definitely focused around 'G'.

So I went over my experimentation again and noticed that my material was pretty much within one octave, so surely this should also be doable on Maschine?

Well.... let's find out! :D Save whatever it was you're doing and drop it by pressing 'File' and then 'New' (don't forget to save :p).

So, our first step is to come up with a good sound. Each to their own but when it comes to variety and full(er) sounds then I'm a huge Absynth fan. And guess what? It's fully integrated into Maschine, so let's set this up:
    • In your new project (orange pad 1 highlighted) click the 'Browser' button.
    • Change the main selection from 'Projects' to 'Instruments' (use the white buttons on top for this, you'll need the two most left ones).
    • Select 'Absynth' by using the rotary under 'All products' (so the second rotary from the left).
    Now... Absynth has an easy 700+ presets ( :eek: ), and that's excluding all the cool stuff which you might have made yourself. So lets focus ourselves on some warm organ sounds:
    • Change the preset type to 'Organ' by using the first rotary (out of four) under the right display. Or: use the fourth rotary from the right.
    • Now we narrowed things down a bit, choose 'Blower' and load it. Once it's loaded press the 'Pad mode' button (its right above the first column of pads).
    As you may know Absynth's "theme color" is cyan / blueish (press 'Plug in' if you don't believe me, but be sure to press 'Pad mode' again afterwards). So to reflect on that I also want to use a different color for this pad:
    • Press the "page right" button once (you'll find it below Sampling and above Settings).
    • Now you'll see 2 color options in the lower left corner of the left display; change the color of the sound by using the rotary below it.
    But what if I don't have Abynth?! :(

Not to worry! There's always the Maschine library itself. If you do have Absynth and followed my steps above then don't skip this section! Instead click on the second pad and just follow along to add a second sound :cool:
    • Press the first (or second) pad and then click 'Browser' again.
    • As explained above set (or change) the selection to 'Sounds' (this was 'Projects' (or 'Instruments')).
    • Just as with Absynth above: change the preset type but this time select 'Instruments'.
    • Now change the sub-type using the next rotary and set this one to 'Organ'.
    • You'll probably have several results, my pick would be the 'Gospel Organ', so load it in (or pick something else of course).
    • Make sure to press 'Pad mode' afterwards.
    Now we have one (or two) nice organ sound(s). We're almost there... Click "Keyboard" (found above the pads) and your sound gets spread out across all 16 pads. So far, so good, but there's a problem... See, we're now in the so called Chromatic scale in which every key on a regular keyboard is displayed, so this includes all the semi-notes which we actually don't need. Fortunately there's an easy solution: on the bottom of the left display you'll notice a 'Type' option which is set to 'Chroma' aka "Chromatic". So use the rotary below it to set this to 'Major'.

Push owners will probably recognize the new look on the pads: every highlighted pad now represents a C note.

So all that's left to do now is to start playing!

Bonus: use 2 sounds (= trigger two pads) at once!

Why not spice up our sound a bit by combining the forces of Absynth with those of the Maschine library?
    • Click 'Pad mode'.
    • If you changed the pad color previously then you're in the 2nd page of settings, so press 'Page left' to move back.
    • Press the first pad, at the bottom of the left display you'll notice a 'Link' section, set 'Group' to 1.
    • Now press the second pad and do the same thing: set 'Group' to 1.
    Now both pads will always play together. Press "Keyboard" again and have fun. If you don't believe me then press the 'mixer' button and you'll see that both sounds produce output whenever you hit either pad (either a single pad or a sound in keyboard mode). Also press 'Select' (and keep it pressed) to quickly change between sounds, this can be very useful if you're playing with individual sounds in 'keyboard mode'.

But what if I don't have an MkIII with displays?! :confused:

You guys are not going to make this easy for me, eh? :D

Oh alright, being a proud Mikro owner again myself let's take this all the way and also look at the required steps when you're using the software to set everything up. Be warned though: I'll be using Maschine stand alone for this example. I'm also assuming that the browser is already open, press 'F4' if this isn't the case:
    • Click on the 'Sound' icon at the top of the browser (looks like a 4x4 pad) then click on the small arrow behind "All sounds" to show the full selection.
    • Click on "Maschine", then select the "Instruments" type now shown below the orange Maschine header.
    • Next click on "Organ" to select the sub-type.
    • Find the "Gospel organ" and drag&drop it on the first sound (either by dropping it in the first row within the 'Group' section, or in the middle between the scene & group sections).
    If you own Absynth:
    • Click on the 'Instrument' icon in the browser (looks like a regular keyboard section).
    • Click on the small cross at the end of the orange Maschine header to close this selection, then click the small arrow behind "All Instruments" to show the full Instrument selection.
    • Find and click on 'Absynth'.
    • Click on the 'Organ' type and find the 'Blower' preset.
    • Drag 'Blower' into the second sound.
    • Right click on the second sound ("Blower"), hover over the "Color" option and select the cyan square (this will change the pad color).
    • Click on the 4x4 pad icon on top of the group section (directly shown under "Group A1").
    • Click on "None" behind 'Link' and select "1", then click on the first (orange) pad shown in the pad outline and do the same thing.
    • Click on the 4x4 pad icon again to close this section.
    After this you can do everything else from the controller itself. To change the scale on the Mikro simply select keyboard mode, then press the 'Page left' button two times until you see 'Scale' on the display, use the rotary to change it to Major.

And there you have it!

SO... grab your laptop, grab your Mikro and prepare to impress your family or friends by producing some (hopefully) awesome jingle bells :D

Last edited: Dec 23, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  15. baridw1

baridw1 NI Product Owner

There are a ton of videos out there that can help you. Google Maschine Logic Integration or Maschine (Your DAW) Integration St Joe has great ones and Maschine Masters has some cool vids. I even paid into their site learned some stuff and then unsubscribed. But they have great vids that go in depth.

16. ShelLuser

Thanks for the tip but that's not for me. I have checked a few videos to determine if Maschine was right for me (and it was, I now have both an MkIII & Mikro MkIII) but when it comes to tutorials I'm usually the one writing them (I'm more of a blogger than video creator).

And as for Maschine itself... I prefer finding out stuff on my own, this will also (somewhat) ensure that you'll stay creative by not following pre-determined routes but instead try to come up with your own workflow and techniques. This period is ideal for that. I simply experiment and when I think there's more to something I look it up in the manual, like I did when I discovered that you could play the Maschine as an instrument. Same applies when I discover an option that's somewhat eluding me ;) I discovered the 'lock' option (also because it got mentioned in a video), but it still eludes me a little bit how I can save snapshots. That's probably something I'm going to experiment with today, and if I don't find anything I'll look it up.

This approach is also a lot more fun for rme :cool:

• Like Like x 4
  17. Murat Kayi

Murat Kayi NI Product Owner

Hi,

Maschine Jam:
    ADDING A SCENE TO A SECTION WITHOUT INTERRUPTING PLAYBACK

When you press "Song", press and hold a Scene button and turn the encoder you can add scenes to the section. Unfortunately, playback stops if there is no previous scene in the section which makes this a no-go for livelooping.
    If you, however, press and hold "Song" while in Idea view, the "Scene" buttons dim down and you can then press them to allocate the the scene you are in to sections by pressing the dimmed down "Scene" buttons. You can create multiple sections containing the scene that is playing while you do that. Also, after releasing the "Song" button, you are still in ideas View.

I stumbled across this, never found it in the manuals or the Jam cheat sheet

• Like Like x 1
  18. Murat Kayi

Maschine Jam combined with Maschine Mikro mk3

USEFUL PECULIARITIES
    sometimes, you will find that one controller can take over where the other one falls short. While I haven't found a way to access the AUX controls from Maschine Mikro mk3, you can press AUX on the Jam. You can, however only adjust AUX levels for AUX1 and that's it. No page buttons are lit and none of the other controls are mapped. Strangely (and fortunately) the mikro mk3 can flip through all of the controls now, adjusting drop downs and knobs, even though I couldn't make it access AUX before at all. Is there a way to access AUX from the mikro? Is there a way to edit *all* of the AUX controls from the Jam? I'd love to know.

Same goes, IIRC, for the levels page.

MAYBE A BIT TOO UNOBVIOUS, BUT FORTUNATE
    I never saw a page when doing ARPs where I could specify how many octaves I wanted the ARP to play on the mikro mk3. The Jam can and much more than that. Once you set it up you can then play the ARP with the mikro, making use of touch/velocity.
    Same goes for other configurations where the options differ from controller to controller.

JUST GREAT FUN COMBINATIONS
    Perform Fx on both controllers simultaneously: start the filter perform fx on a group, from the Jam, then flip through the FX controls on the mikro mk3 (arrow buttons) until the encoder is mapped to the "resonance" control. Now, you can fiddle with cut-off and resonance simultaneously - which is always awesome. No macros needed.

Modwheel on the mikro mk3 and touch strips in "notes" mode on the jam

JUST UNOBVIOUS BUT FUN
    Playing two touchstrips in note mode "guitar" will add two cords together, similar to jazz piano players building complex chords out of simple ones.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Emanuele24

Emanuele24 NI Product Owner

Ciao a tutti ma voi sapete come si abbina l alfabeto al software? Qualcuno sa aiutarmi

20. Murat Kayi