1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Maschine V2 Multi Port MIDI Out (Windows)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mystic38, Nov 26, 2014.

1. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

I don't even have to test this, and from my limited experience using Maschine I'm going to give my observation. Maschine uses 16 midi channels per group by default so if you're using two ports that makes 32 midi channels. So if you setup two drum kits, then you're out of luck for instrument midi channels unless you make some changes. I'm not saying the OP has this problem, but it's something other people might want to consider.

i suppose if you do all of your songs using only two groups, or very carefully watching and managing your midi channels. I would bet even money you run into some kind of problems running two ports with default settings.

2. Toni Martorell

Toni Martorell New Member

Please bro, have u read the whole thread?? What u saying have no sense. This problem have been here for a lot of time, actually since version 1.8 (maschine 1 sofware) and still here in the last version! Is not about using only 2 groups to make a entire song. This have nothing to do with it.

Windows users are only asking for a fix, because this is a major problem and also one of the most important features of this product, so we paid a lot of money for this and we want a solution!

3. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

I stand by what I said, I'm sorry if you didn't understand. It doesn't matter how long the problems been there, because it's a design issue. Yes I've read the threads, so what part is it that you don't understand? That midi can have buffer issues, or why new users have so much trouble understanding midi in Maschine?

I'm not really sure you understand with your two post. I'll be more than happy to explain it.

4. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

You are way off, before you supply solutions and confuse the thread, at least read the original post and video supplied (clearly you have not done this, hence the generic response), this is a windows only bug. The OP is hardly a "new user". I've been using MIDI since the 90s (before you were born perhaps?).

Last edited: Jan 22, 2019
  5. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

fyi this bug has nothing at all to do with the number of channels being used and is not representative of any users understanding on midi.

The bug is 100% related to the number of output midi ports enabled in Maschine standalone on a PC. Look at the video at the top of this thread.. midi data is going only to one channel on one enabled external midi port. When another midi port is enabled (but NOT used) Maschine hangs up.

The bug would appear to be associated in some way with how NI deals with midi timestamping as they blamed windows api on Windows 7...and released a registry hack to disable Windows midi timestamping.

I will simply comment that there is no other midi sequencer software that I know of that has ever had this bug..so it is up to you whether you accept that this is the fault of Windows.

6. Toni Martorell

Toni Martorell New Member

Sorry, maybe I didn't understand what was u saying. I'm not new in maschine, I'm using maschine since 2013 as I said.

But I'm not sure what are u trying to say. Have u a solution?? Because if not, it's like saying "yes maschine have a bug"... ok then. We all know that.

The point is: if u open a new project, a blank project, and the first thing u try is to send midi to an external instrument, it will stop working in a few minutes. So I guess it have nothing to do with the buffer.

So, again, I'm not sure what r u trying to say here. Sorry if my words sounded agressive before, english is not my mother language, but I get confused when u talking about groups and buffer, because is obviusly for me it have nothing to do with the bug we are discussing in this thread.

Thanks and excuse my ways! ^^

• Like Like x 2
  7. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

I couldn't hear the video but I'll check it out again. I understand, but I've never used it so I'll have to check it out. I read a few people weren't having the problem, but I probably should've checked it out before. I still think it has to do with the design.

8. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

No, excuse my ways, you were straight! I can't really speak on the problem, and that's why I said with my limited experience with Maschine I'd like to make an observation. I'll be taking a look at it and reporting back. :thumbsup:

9. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

I thought I had waited long enough, but it was right on the money. I'll have to check it out some more, but I stand corrected.

Edit: Well some people said they weren't having the issue, but that is pretty bad. Totally unusable, and now I know how offended some of you must have felt.

10. CakeAlexS

^^
    Mystic38 is the OP of the post. Please follow his steps to reproduce via opening post and follow up video.

It's clear you actually haven't followed his steps to reproduce or understand the full issue explained in the video... Or followed other people's testing

To be honest we've been here before on this thread. Somebody misunderstanding or not reading the OP and interpreting it as a standard midi issue, or somebody adding their own unrelated issue on top. Thats what happens when threads get too long, people take it off topic.

Again it is a windows only bug, no other windows sequencer has this issue. 100% bug. Does not happen on Apple. Other people may have different problems, but this thread IS about the OPs issue.

We should not be here anyway.
    NI SHOUlD HAVE FIXED THIS. :mad:

11. Slappz

Slappz NI Product Owner

Well how about it being narrowed down to the Maschine driver? The sound cuts out, but you can still see the notes playing on the keyboard, but I'm pretty sure you all covered this before. I hated to be the clueless person that comes in and says 'Why there must be a logical explanation for this."
    I guess I'm learning NI.

12. CakeAlexS

It's a bug that needs fixing by NI since 2014 (no other party). In fact it was earlier than this, we've obviously tried to troubleshoot this one to death by now.

13. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

We all appreciate your enthusiasm, but, it has nothing to do with the Maschine driver.. I can state this clearly simply because it can happen using Maschine software without the hardware by using other system midi ports.

Anyway, at the end of the day it simply doesn't matter as NI has no interest in actually making the software work correctly.. As i indicated in an earlier post, NI has provided a registry hack to disable midi timestamping as a workaround. It simply is not a fix for the bug and plenty of users do not wish to create other issues in their studio just so that Maschine can operate as advertised.

• Like Like x 1
  14. CakeAlexS

Why does NI insist on ignoring this?
    Kai@Ni ?

• Like Like x 1
  15. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

Because they don't want to admit that they don't have a clue on how to fix it.

• Like Like x 1
  16. marzy

marzy NI Product Owner

This problem is really intermittent for me and it's driving me effing insane. I am currently sat here playing multiple MIDI ports out and I'm not getting any drops, yet with a near indentical project a few hours ago I was getting it constantly.

I really wish I knew how to recreate the problem, because it will return the minute I think I've fixed it.

Windows 10. New MIDI interface, same problem.

Enabling 2 or more MIDI out ports has made it instantly appear for me, but right now it's just not happening. Don't ask me why.
    I also thought sending CCs was the culprit, as it has reared its head after being fine then automating something, but right now that's not happening either. When you test something for so long it sends you mad, to the point where you don't know what worked and what didn't work any more

17. CakeAlexS

[​IMG]

Thankyou for contacting NI Devs. Your problem is important to us, please hold for years and years without any decent response.

Wanna buy an expansion pack??

18. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

"With new MIDI CC capabilities, you can control your MIDI-capable external instruments, like your favorite Roland groovebox or Korg synth, as if they were plugins. Simply load the controller template for your device in your MASCHINE software, and you can play with any MIDI-enabled parameters, like tweaking a filter or adjusting a sound’s attack, directly from MASCHINE’s ultra-responsive pads and knobs"

"MASCHINE STUDIO can be the control hub of your entire studio with full MIDI connectivity"

"1 x MIDI in, 3 x MIDI out"

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/False_advertising

• Funny Funny x 1
  19. CakeAlexS

Apple only.
    Windows inbuilt flakeyslowdown™ multi midi out features.

20. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 2