1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Maschine V2 Multi Port MIDI Out (Windows)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mystic38, Nov 26, 2014.

1. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

2. Kai @ NI

Kai @ NI NI Team NI Team

Hey all,

Unfortunately I have to disappoint you in this regard. We are currently not planning to address this issue and also not to spend time to narrow down where between MASCHINE and Microsoft’s MIDI implementation this issue exactly falls. The reality is that, in a complex application such as MASCHINE we have to juggle and prioritise all incoming bugs and issues. What we take into account when prioritising issues is the frequency of occurrence, the number of users affected by this, and whether or how close the issue is linked to the most common use cases of the product.

Based on this assessment, fixing this issue has a very low priority for us. As we have many topics of higher ranking priority to tackle, I don't see a scenario where we will address this.

I understand that this is not a satisfying answer for you and you will not like it. I also hate to be the bearer of bad news.

At least you have an answer now and some more transparency of what is going on. If you are considering to give the workaround a try, please reach out to our customer support.

Best,
    Kai

• Dislike Dislike x 6
  3. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

Really? A low priority ?

Hey, at least we got an answer :eek: LMAO

I hate to say this but Akai and others will be much happier with your response than the tens of thousands Maschine users who run Windows

• Like Like x 6
  4. Tomess

Tomess NI Product Owner

Thank you for the information and the honesty. However, I'm interested how you generate those numbers. I mean, c'mon, it's not like everybody is on OSX...

• Like Like x 3
  5. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

A Music Production System can by definition not have "low priority on midi stuff".
    if you'd have written this a few weeks earlier, i'd have been informed and for sure would not have invested more in your products...what a shame.
    and please, just give us this "workaround" you are talking instead of telling us paying customers to get in touch with your customer support...
    maybe this workaround could be in the sticky threads instead of all your "money making new annoucings of another synth and another expansion (which first of all serves you and not us....)....

• Like Like x 4
  6. CakeAlexS

Funny how other sequencers and DAWs can manage it in windows, how does that happeb.? Not NI. We paid for multiple MIDI Out that's in the specs. Apple gets it Windows does not. Thanks guys :thumbsup:

• Like Like x 3
  7. CakeAlexS

There is a workaround on this thread if you look for it. Sadly it's a registry hack that changes behaviour of other DAWs that you may be running. It's a totally unacceptable workaround.

I do find it funny that fixing MIDI OUT is a low priority whilst sounds.com issues go right to the front of the list. Not your priority maybe.

Thanks for transparency nothing personal. This just confirms Maschine is totally unfit for purpose when it's being used with other MIDI hardware.

• Like Like x 1
  8. tempsperdu

tempsperdu NI Product Owner

Whilst I admire the honesty I find it galling that NI can find this acceptable. I'd be interested to find one user who did.

• Like Like x 4
  9. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

So why are NI still advertising Maschine with full MIDI capabilities ? If NI are aware of the issue and have no plans to fix it - would that not make the advertising fraudulent ??

Midi was the main selling point for me when I upgraded from maschine mk1 to maschine studio, the extra midi out ports for controlling my midi hardware, to say I am disappointed would be an understatement.

I am just glad that with the range and diversity of devices from other music hardware/software company's in this day and age will allow me to never spend another £ with NI.

• Like Like x 4
  10. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

It's been 5 years since this thread started, for a long time I had assumed it would never be fixed but couldn't say it, at least now it's confirmed it won't. (not that it makes it any better but at least people won't be waiting for something that won't come) I appreciate Kai for doing what others before him didn't, kudos for that even though it's bad news.

• Like Like x 2
  11. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

What makes you think it changes behaviour of other DAWs?

These are the contents of the registry workaround:
    Why would any DAW read registry entries under Native Instruments\Maschine 2? That's like saying that if I edit some of my Ableton registry keys, Cubase will no longer work properly.

12. CakeAlexS

Fair comments it's on a user hive.
    So what does DisableTS mean?

And if the fix is that simple why isn't that value registered by the install script by default?

• Like Like x 2
  13. PooFox

PooFox NI Product Owner

Well at least we can stop holding our breath. Strange decision though and they should be a lot more upfront about it since it will continue to affect each new Maschine product. Why even offer multiple ports available if half the users can't use them?

• Like Like x 1
  14. StarSMASH

StarSMASH NI Product Owner

wow.....more horrible PR from NI. They essentially stalled you guys for about 4 years on this issue then just said deal with it because it's not worth their time. I wouldn't recommend buying any NI products besides komplete if you're a windows OR even a mac user at this point. This specific problem doesn't affect me, but the disregard towards their loyal customers is unnerving. I can only wait until a problem like this actually does affect me and at that point I imagine i'd get this same response which is when i'd be done with using these products.

• Like Like x 4
  15. D-One

Does the registry edit work or not? Does it mess up other things or not?
    That's kind of important to this thread and whoever might be having issues...

16. CakeAlexS

Well we need to know what the reg hack actually does... There's a reason why it's not in by default. I wouldn't disable hyperthreading on my CPU without knowing. Is this disabling time stamping?

In which case no thanks!
    It was mentioned there was no knowledge base article about this anywhere either.

17. D-One

Understandable, that's why I was asking, it's been a while since I read this thread.. my bad i guess. So.. it fixes the issue but creates another one. :S

18. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

I would have liked to have served you.
    But you won't find this registry value in Windows 10 Pro.
    The original message is from 2015, so I think it's a Windows 7 registry rule.

René

19. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

It needs to be created. I've been using it for a long time now without any issues.

• Informative Informative x 1
  20. Mr36

Mr36 NI Product Owner

The provided .reg file adds the "DisableTS" value set to 1 (i.e., true/on), which is exclusively for MASCHINE 2.

Because this bug never affected me directly, I never tested MIDI timing/jitter with and without the reg edit, but it would be interesting to see what difference it makes.