Bug Maschine V2 Multi Port MIDI Out (Windows)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mystic38, Nov 26, 2014.

1. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

Aaaa, I thought it was already in the register and the value had to be set from 0 to 1.
    But is now in the register.
    This week will look in the attic for some old midi stuff from 1985 and go try it.

René

2. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

Old midi stuff like a Roland Jupiter 8 or a Yamaha CS-80? :D

3. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

wonder how long it will be until we finally officially learn that there will be no Song Layer & Performance Recording, 2 features that were said to be a part of the Jam, but just weren't quite ready for release when the Jam hit the streets. it's only been 2.5 years

• Like Like x 2
  4. awol9000

awol9000 NI Product Owner

I think the outcome is obvious.

• Like Like x 2
  5. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

Totally seems that way. As soon as NI marketing dept decides to prioritise another identified revenue stream everything else will be chucked in the bin.

• Like Like x 1
  6. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

So, it might work perfectly for some users or use-case-scenarios.
    Could you share some more detail? Not sure what, maybe what gear you're using and how many ports at the same time?

Yeah, the only reason I am asking questions is I think it would be beneficial to edit the OP and consolidate all available info about this issue.

7. René must be Unique

Maschine mk3 midi out with cable to midi in from a TG100.
    Maschine 2.8.2 on Win 10 Pro.
    An annoying tune made in which various midi channels are used. 1, 2, 5, 7 and 10.

With DisableTS on in the register, no crashing.
    After DisableTS turned off in the registry, no crashing.
    Midibugtest.JPG

The annoying tune is included with this message.

René

Attached Files:

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  8. b-r@nno

b-r@nno NI Product Owner

AFAIK the problem is not with "one single midi device" but with more of them...then a sudden crash will happen. i bougth MK3 a few months ago and wanted to connect the following:

- my roland v-synth (Midi out Mk3 to midi in of V-Synth)
    - an old UC33 midi-controller, connected to another midi-interface (in my case RME hammerfall)
    - sudden crashes occured...
    - i was thinking for hours/days, what my fault could be - before i joined the forums and searched for "maschine mk3 midi crash"...and the infamous thread popped up...

Last edited: May 29, 2019
  9. René must be Unique

D-one would like more information.
    This is the first test, with one midi port controlled gives no problems.
    One midi port is added for the next test.
    And then perform another test.
    Come back to this later.

René

• Like Like x 1
  10. Reefius

Reefius NI Product Owner

I just did some testing using 3 external synths (Novation BassStation, Behringer Model D and Roland GAIA) without any issues.
    BassStation connected to Maschine Studio MIDI output 1, while Model D and GAIA both use their own USB MIDI. So 3 synths over 3 different MIDI outputs and working perfectly. No sync or timing issues.

It seems that Cubase also has System Timestamps disabled by default:
    https://steinberg.help/cubase_pro_a.../setting_up/setting_up_midi_port_setup_r.html

Maybe NI should also make this an option in the settings (like Cubase) instead of messing around in the registry.

• Informative Informative x 2
  11. René must be Unique

Is that a PCI card? Which type / name?

René

12. CakeAlexS

Notice that's for MIDI input in cubase not output.

13. CakeAlexS

14. p1afff

p1afff NI Product Owner

Hammerfall was a series of legacy PCI audio cards from RME. I think the only one remaining these days is Hammerfall DSP 9632.

• Like Like x 1
  15. René must be Unique

OK. a Keystep was used as the second midi port.
    With a TG500 on the midi in and out.
    Midi out from the Maschine mk3 still to the TG100.
    From the Maschine software sent to both ports midi information, and played along on the Keystep in real time.
    Unfortunately I can't get it to crash.
    In this test, the DisableTS registry rule was not used.

René

16. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

"3 Ports" is mentioned a lot in this thread, so I am wondering if this is something specific to the Maschine SW when it's using the M-Studio ports?

17. marzy

marzy NI Product Owner

I have since changed set ups, so I can't say for sure if I'm talking about the same problem, BUT I do know how to recreate MIDI drops on my set up.

Higher buffer on my interface drastically decreases the time it takes from the MIDI drop to occur.
    MIDI sync set to off (no master or slave set) also increases the chances of it happening
    High levels of MIDI CC also increases the chances of a MIDI drop, which also depends on how high my audio buffer is set.

For example, 1024 samples on my interface: the drop will occur in a very short space of time

128 samples and the MIDI drop will happen but it will take much longer, to the point of thinking it's fixed. Add lots of MIDI messages and the drop will happen like I'm on 1024 samples

64 samples and the MIDI drop will not happen, even with lots of MIDI CC.

Luckily my PC is capable of handling 64 sample buffer at 96khz (I am locked at 96khz - that's what my mixer/interface dictates), but it's cutting it very fine, and I am asking for audio glitches if anything else is running in the background that shouldn't be.

I shouldn't have to have my buffer this low to not get MIDI drops.

Drops do not happen in ableton, no matter how much I throw at it, so it's hard to believe it's a Windows thing. It's a Maschine thing in Windows. Not just Windows.

Can anyone point to any official info on what the reg fix actually does, and any negative affects?

Seems a bit ***** to blame MS implementation of MIDI when it doesn't happen in DAWs?

• Informative Informative x 1
  18. jl1968

jl1968 New Member

it seems almost ridiculous to me, but is this midi problem with windows actually so many years old??? and is it still unsolved? Anyway, my external hardware synth novation peak can not be integrated reliably into my setup? it s a pity if it really is like that....then I have to stop using native tools and continue with my old mpc setup ...

is there a solution or not?

thx jl1968

19. Tomess

Tomess NI Product Owner

No, they just have no time to resolve this issue.

20. CakeAlexS

^
    Yup six years is not long enough, they've only just managed to give us feedback. They need more time, lots more of it.

And besides, it's not like MIDI sequencing is important for a MIDI sequencer.

• Funny Funny x 2