1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Bug Maschine V2 Multi Port MIDI Out (Windows)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Mystic38, Nov 26, 2014.

1. jl1968

jl1968 New Member

a simple question to NI: will the midi problem be solved in the next update or not? if not, it is your duty to inform buyers /customer from the beginning to point out this problem ... because it suggests maschiene is not suitable for windows computer. if a "music system" like machine is not able to integrate external Synth then that's a serious deficit of the product. It is a completely understandable expectation that it works without problems!!!

that is very disappointing and dishonest. not to enlighten the new customers and leave old users so long without a clear answer.

2. CakeAlexS

CakeAlexS NI Product Owner

If you had read the thread before you posted (just a few weeks or so back) you would have worked out the simple answer is no.

• Like Like x 3
  3. Seta

Seta NI Product Owner

Appart from a couple of hardware synths I have added a small modular to my set up, I can only use the midi out in Audio Kontrol or the midi out on my MK3 but I can use a thru box I own but I also own a SQ-1 which can act as a midi to CV convertor and I can not use it. This makes no sense.
    Only thing than seems we can do is wait for Maschine 3.0 (can be few months or five more years) or work with other DAW. I rather use just one DAW (or DAW like) software, and even with its limitations (No song mode, very poor automation, ...) Maschine was enough for me. If I have to buy ableton so I can use more than 1 midi out I will just get rid of my NI stuff and get a Push 2 (I own MK3, Jam and kontrol M32). Too bad

Last edited: Jun 22, 2019
    • Like Like x 2
  4. CakeAlexS

Already been said, they don't have time to fix it. That's means Maschine 3 will be screwed as well.

Win win.
    Maybe best to the do the BREXIT reg hack or move to a different sequencer now :mad:

• Like Like x 1
  5. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

The answer to this is no..

This problem started in 1.8.2 so long ago i still had hair.. and Maschine mk1

Despite the "100% rewrite: of the code for version 2 it persisted.. I (foolishly) purchased the studio as after all, it had three midi ports and nope, they didnt work either...

Several years of not caring, then a few years of a hard to obtain reg hack and finally a "we have no idea what is going on or how anybody else does this so we will give up"

As you know i use a fair amount of hardware synths and the mk1 and studio have been rusting for a few years in a corner while i focused on sequencer that actually worked

What i had learned from Noel Borthwick of Cakewalk was that they (Cakewalk, and Noel in particular) were heavily involved in improving the audio/midi aspect of win 10 so had some hope.

Early tests on win 10 showed it still there so NI stuff was dumped for another year..

However> however these last few days I have ran a few ports for several hours with a Nova and a Virus with zero issues, so i will update the OP to reflect that the bug appears gone in current version of win10/maschine and suggest that any further bug in this area start its own thread?..

6. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Not sure if a new thread is beneficial or not.
    Some consolidation on the Original Post would be nice but I find that is kind of hard to do since there are a multitude of contradicting posts on this thread, not to mention it's huge.

I'd say run it for some more time to make sure it is indeed working since kai confirmed this would basically never be fixed.

• Like Like x 1
  7. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

fair comment.. I have recently moved and not setup my main studio space yet (including my studio PC) so will try to set that up over the next few days or so and run some more tests.. but so far it is so much better...iirc last time i checked was 2.5 or so

of course, my muscle memory for the studio is all but gone and will need to be relearned, but this is pretty good news

• Like Like x 2
  8. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

The midi ports on the Studio itself work fine.. isn’t the issue with Maschine using non-NI MIDI ports?

9. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

If you send midi through the ports from other software they are fine - If you try and send midi data to more than 1 port in maschine software they will crash.

10. basehead617

basehead617 NI Product Owner

I use all the midi ports on mine without issue..

11. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

On mac it's fine, Issue only effects windows users.

12. CakeAlexS

Yup.

The thread is so old that we have to keep repeating this several times as nobody can be arsed to read it. WINDOWS ONLY.

13. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

I edited the title to make it more clear.

OP said its working correctly with the latest version of windows... can anyone else confirm? Could a miracle have happened?

14. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

Still crashing here,
    No midi inputs active,
    Only 2 midi output ports active (both physical ports, not usb ports, and maschine as master) crashing at least once every 30 mins.
    What I have noticed is that sometimes only 1 port will stop and midi still is being sent to the other port, the midi can be reactivated by going into the midi setting and disabling said port and reactivating it.
    If I remember correctly the behaviour before would crash all midi and would need a reboot of the maschine software, This could possibly be down to different combinations of using USB or physical port.

15. Toni Martorell

Toni Martorell New Member

You have to see this post I started on February.

https://support.native-instruments....gest=37f316154c8e764d1639e0a639d0d5f4a8bf515a

The thing is I started this post because NI closed my first post about this problem without answer. So I opened a ew one. Now other people comment on the post and what they do...? They close the post again. Like they're trying to silence or make dissappear the problem. Very professional NI!!! The thing is: they are sellig **** and lies and don't want to recognize it!

They don't want to fix it or maybe they don't have idea how to do it (very sad in both cases).

16. CakeAlexS

^
    Sadly this is normal for a lot of software companies. Once it is repro'd as a bug it's no longer a support issue and support can wipe their hands clean of it. Devs take the issue over and customer are no longer in any loop, it effectively disappears down a black hole from a customer perspective.

• Informative Informative x 1
  17. Nicky Rorschach

Nicky Rorschach New Member

Hello, I was commenting there too because they didn't answer my own support thread to this day. I also have had this problem that midi output stops when I am rotating the sequence of the external synth (TB-03). Now they are giving some of us this registry hack to disable midi timestamping. Is anybody here smart enough to explain, how to reverse this registry entry if done? Would be very handy in some cases I would think.

18. mansion

mansion NI Product Owner

In the Registry Editor, you can always select Export under the file menu, which saves a copy of your registry before applying the fix. Then, if you want to remove the fix, just Import the copy you made. That's probably the easiest way.

19. Nicky Rorschach

Nicky Rorschach New Member

Thank you for the tip. But doesn't that mean that any other changes in the registry during that time will also be reverted?
    Probably things which I am not neccessarily aware of.

Can also anybody explain the other hack of using virtual midi port routers?
    I have Midi Tools and Midi Ox, but wth. should I do with it and what does exactly happen there?

20. ScottK

ScottK NI Product Owner

You could route your midi from maschine to output to midi ox - from midi ox you could route it to - http://en.soundigy.com/midipatchbay.php (its free) this would then let you route it to 8 other devices.
    This is still going to limit you to 16 midi channels so depending on your setup this might or might not be enough, but it will allow you to run more than 1 device without having to buy a hardware midi splitter.