Solved Maschine vs Ableton (Noob)

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by drdr, Nov 9, 2019.

1. drdr

drdr NI Product Owner

Hello

I am coming from/running Logic Pro X. I am a singer/songwriter who plays guitar. I have bought the Maschine Mk 3 and Jam.

Want to:
    • Create patterns
    • Create an arrangement
    • Edit patterns on the fly [in live performance]
    • Swicth between arrangement sections [in live performance]
    • Edit sounds within the pattern live
    • Have an intuitive interface
    Is this what I can do with this equipment, or do I need to buy Ableton and a Push?

Please help! Thanks,

2. ShelLuser

ShelLuser NI Product Owner

Way too much "vagueness" in your post to comment on. As you should know the Maschine has an "arrangement" button which takes you to.. so why ask about an arrangement? Makes little sense to me.

"Edit patterns on the fly", ergo something any step sequencer can do, amazingly enough Maschine has one.

"Have an intuitive interface", and this is where I deem your post "troll bait".

Please explain, in full detail, "intuitive"?

You have a Maschine so you know what it can do. Instead of asking about "non NI stuff" on a NI forum (see where my opinion came from?) why not focus on getting Maschine to do the stuff you need? As in: ask questions about making Maschine 'do' things you feel are lacking.

But yah, lets answer.

In my opinion you SHOULD get Ableton Live (the suite edition) and a Push and then combine that with the Maschine Mk3. Because if you ask me that is a match made in heaven as the saying goes.

Been using the combo for one whole day now and well: place Maschine left of your Push (or Push right of the Maschine) for best results ;) When I sit behind my Maschine (literally) I can just reach for the Push transport controls: win-win!

(edit)

ok, ok.. in all fairness though: nah, you don't need it. A DAW could be useful but in this setup even Reaper could do just fine.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
  3. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats NI Product Owner

why does everyone complain about vague posts? lol just put 2 and 2 together type out some s*@t and move to the next post lol.

4. Chris Laupama

Chris Laupama New Member

I would definately recommend Ableton Live + Push 2 over Maschine big time.

I own all the hardware and software mentioned and by far the Push 2 and Ableton Live are far more flexible than the Maschine.

The Mashine hardware and software are incredibly limited in comparison.

5. CH7

CH7 NI Product Owner

If all your sounds are coming from the software, then in a live senario Ableton has its merits, if however you want to control hardware in a live gig, then Jam & Maschine mk3 din sockets should be considered a bonus. You could create scenes on the Maschine, and trigger these in real time for your live sets. I presume the Jam can also be played in the same way as the Push 2, as an instrument.

Sadly the Push 2 doesn't feature direct midi din control for hardware, and can only do this via the software, requiring additional hardware interfaces. If there was ever a reason for a Push 3, then this would be it. It seems a natural progression path to use the push as an instrument controlling other hardware.

As a final thought I think NI could promote the Jam as standalone hardware to control other hardware, independent of its software. This might require firmware updates, but it should be doable. eg output standard midi note data, with maybe even a basic monome style sequencer.

Last edited: Nov 9, 2019
    • Like Like x 1
  6. Steve Mosher

Steve Mosher NI Product Owner

You know thats how these boards go lol

7. drdr

drdr NI Product Owner

I've now spent all day with the Maschine Mk 3 and think that I can likely do what I want in a live setting.

The key thing has been to better understand the Maschine 2 software.

Thanks.

• Like Like x 1
  8. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

You can be just fine with the MK3+Jam judging by your list of criteria so you dont technically need a Push2+Ableton, especially if your main goal is just performance as long as you dont need to record your Guitar and have it play-back across multiple sections. There is also no easy way to record a performance in Maschine, other than that you're good to go.
    Tons of people use Maschine in combination with Logic too. Give it time to learn the software.

9. drdr

drdr NI Product Owner

Aha - that could be the deal-breaker. I was hoping to layer & loop sounds live as part of an arrangement - you're saying that's not an option with Maschine?

10. D-One

You have to be specific, if I do as those other posts said put 2+2 together and incorrectly assume things I can induce you in error and that will help no one.
    Are you talking about recording live Audio input and looping it? Maschine does that just fine, as well as record MIDI. What you can not do is a record section patterns changes, scene changes, mutes, solos, etc... while your performing and then play it back, at least not without complicated solutions; it's designed in a way where you program the arrangement, not perform it then play it back.

11. drdr

drdr NI Product Owner

I see what you mean.

OK - what I want to do:

Make patterns in the studio. Then to arrange these patterns is sections - Intro, V1, Build, Drop, Chorus, outro, etc.

Then in Iive performance, be able to trigger these patterns and sections whilst (a) layering and /or loop vocals/live guitar over them and (b) having the option to alter the patterns that make up the sections whilst playing.

For example - in performance - the intro might go round 8 bars instead of 4. The build might be cut back from 16 bars to 8. The hi-hats in a pattern might be muted and brought back in.

Hoping this makes more sense - let me know.

Thanks,

12. D-One

If your Intro section is 4 bars and you record something (Guitar Audio/Vocal) 8 bars long to it it will change to an 8 bar section but if you're just playing live guitar on top of it, it doesn't matter, you can have it loop forever until you manually trigger the next section/scene.

If I understood you correctly you can do all that, but if you wish to record Audio to Maschine like vocals/guitar loops they have to be constrained within a pattern/section only, it cant span across more than one section like it typically can in a DAW, take this example:
    You cannot record a guitar that goes from the 'Hook' to 'Verse A', you would need to record it twice, once per Section but if you dont need Audio that spans across multiple sections then you're good to go.

[​IMG]

Attached Files:

• Informative Informative x 2
  13. drdr

drdr NI Product Owner

THANK YOU this is exactly what I needed to know. :thumbsup:

Further research is telling me that I can layer the vocals/guitar in that section in harmonies using the looper - again, this would be in live performance.

Final Q - given all of the above, I am able to loop sections indefinitely and trigger the 'next' one as and when I like in live performance, yes?

Thanks again for this. Apologies for being vague, earlier.

14. D-One

No problem at all.
    Yes you can layer a bunch of stuff, A Group has 16 Pads/Sound, each pad can be the equivalent of Track in a DAW, each can hold an Instrument or Audio Loop.
    Yes, sections loop indefinitely and you can jump to any other section at any time.