1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine VS MPC Studio - My take

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Bremen, May 26, 2013.

1. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

I agree I'm not an advocate of you being forced to do that either, I just think it would be peanuts for ni to make it so that you could connect to your computer and have the same functionality that you do now and also disconnect and still use it, it's not like we're talking about rocket science just sampling and sequencing. The mpc 2500 and mpc 1000 have been able to connect to a computer via usb and be used on their own for ages now, albeit the functionality of their USB connections are different than maschines but still, it hasn't destroyed anybody's way of making music :D

Don't know what they were thinking with the studio, it doesn't feel organic at all imho

2. theinvis

There's too much overlooking of what is actually being discussed here, when I said peanuts I wasn't referring to peanuts as in this could be coded and created in a week end, I was stating that the capability is no longer future talk, and explaining not that I needed to that there is more than enough space inside of maschine for it to house a full functional computer with which you could run maschine on. It would not be a technological feat. I hope that's clear.

I'd refer you to jpegs last post in this thread to find out what we are really talking about.

3. Ricky Woofer

Ricky Woofer Account Suspended

Im confused :S

Wasnt this topic about Maschine vs Studio haha

4. theinvis

I think almost all of us agree on the studio

5. Ricky Woofer

I didnt foolow the conversation completely but how would you see a Maschine witouth computer be a improvement?

You'd be restricted to Maschine software only, no vst's soyou couldnt even use Maschine expansions anymore?

6. theinvis

You obviously didn't pay attention because nowhere in this thread are we talking about ni replicating a lower powered computer. My post wasn't off topic, my post was a response to others talking to me, just like I wasn't talking to you until you engaged me in this off topic post that you want to talk about, which is fine with me but your saying that I'm talking about ni replicating lower spec computers and I'm not.

7. Bremen

Bremen Forum Member

There is no reason a stand alone box, ether NI or Akai could not run VST, and VSTi with ease. If ether company made one, I would buy for sure.

Say Maschine, with dual core i7, 8 gigs ram, 256 gig SD, one large pop up screen, midi and audio ins and outs, all in a nice sexy package for $1600 to $2000.... I would be at Guitar Center on release day.

8. theinvis

And yes there is a good reason akai are doing the maschine thing just like there was a good reason for native to do the mpc thing, just like there was a good reason for Muse to do the receptor thing, and just like there was a good reason for open labs to do their thing and that reason is there is a market for these things, and there will always be a market for musicians who would like to disconnect from the computer to make music, I'm sure you haven't just heard of this today , after all it's part of maschines partial appeal, to get further away from the computer isn't it.
    ---
    Haha I doubt that, they'd find a way to get you those expansion packs come hell or high water:D
    ---
    Yep and you know if they did that they'd have to be crazy not to keep the functionality that it already has as well, allowing you to hook back up to your system when ever you wanted to do your computer stuff, I've bought 3 maschines already and I'd without a doubt have to get another one no hesitation

9. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

Well the 4GB i5 Rhizome was selling for about $4000 (before feeltune went broke). There isn't the market to sustain an expensive, specification locked standalone machine any more. It was massively undercut by products exactly like Maschine and is now pretty much non-existent, unless you count Beat Thang. Which I don't.

10. Ricky Woofer

Beatthang didnt drop half price for nothing right ;)

11. theinvis

Bat thang was terrible wasn't it, but that's a great example , can be had now for $600 bucks, imagine if someone more competent was behind it like ni and didn't bite the asrx box they put it in
    ---
    Beat things problem was the coding, nothing more

12. Ricky Woofer

8gb ram, not enough.... Besides that, you know how much that would cost in euro's?

Edit this was supposed to be added in my previous post, sorry

Last edited: May 30, 2013
  13. theinvis

I'm surprised the hacker community hasn't turned it out already!

14. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

That $600 gets you 256MB ram, zero on-board storage and a processor so rubbish that they refused to tell anyone what it was.

• Like Like x 1
  15. theinvis

I remember, but look at what they did, I believe ni could accomplish a whole lot more than that! Imho

16. Bremen

Bremen Forum Member

Mr. Woofer 8 gigs of ram would work fine. And remember if they did this and used regular ram slots, it could be user upgraded. Of course it's going to cost, if you want it you pony up and get it. If you don't think its worth it you pass. But IMHO it should be built.

Invis.... yes to also having current functionality. I realized I left that out of my post, but it is a must have.... so you could work totally stand alone, then pop it into your desk/lap top.... and use in your DAW if you wish. Or, just do everything on the box, and use the computer connection to drop your wav or mp3... or whatever...

Choice, that's what I like :)

17. Ricky Woofer

Enough, hmm depends on how much vsts you use dont you think? But indeed if you could expand them it would be great. And even more expensive. Would be nice if it had 16GB standard.

18. Bremen

Bremen Forum Member

VST synths do not depend on ram, samplers and romplers do..... Synths only need CPU power..... but, they could have a "base" 4 gig model, and allow upgrading, and it would be cool.

3 years ago only Akai could have done this. NI has been able in 3 years to become what Akai now copies. NI could do it. I don't think they will, because of perceived market. I think there is a big enough market to make money, but they may be right. I'm just sad that we will never know.

19. Ricky Woofer

You did read i was talking about VST's right?
    ---
    Since when VST means synthvst? I was talking VST's in general, i dont use only synth vsts :| do you?
    ---
    Yeah, you better off getting a 11" laptop with good specs, easyer to carry , perhaps even cheaper all together and even today possible at this moment :)
    I see no reason for Maschine heading a all in one way what so ever businesswise.
    Improve Maschine on the sequenser part etc would add more asset
    But thats just my opinion offcourse

20. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

yup u cant beat the immediacy of maschine but think the mpc head like the fact that their system is more esoteric or has a steeper learning curve.
    ---

nothing wrong with nostalgia but im saying take advantage of modern advances that are available.

i dont see why the instrument bonding u refer to cant take place while the usb cable is plugged into the computer?

it like saying an mpc cant bond to the mpc because of the power cable in the back, bot mpc and maschine have one cable coming out of the back to it aint no great benefit in going standalone.

mpc came out before midi controller became widespread so i would not put the development of the mpc down to the desire peeps had to get away from the computer.

i would not be looking to spend 1500 uk pound for a standalone maschine i aint a professional and the maschine functions perfectly as is.

i make my beats always ina room next to my computer, i sold my korg esx years ago, great maschine and cant deny the hands on feel and the tube sound, but overall that **** aint fuccin with maschine.