1. Hi everyone,

We have just announced our latest version of the Komplete bundles.

Find out more about the bundles and the newly added instruments

Komplete 13 is available for pre-order now, and will become available for download on October 1, 2020.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Dismiss Notice

Maschine VS MPC Studio - My take

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Bremen, May 26, 2013.

1. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Ghost_On_Da_Maschine NI Product Owner

Maschine is a mature product by a software company who has without a doubt been a leader.
    Maschine should be ahead of many products but it's not.
    Could be because NI isn't rushing, could be that they are trying to integrate missing features into their planned path who knows.

The thing is NI is slowly implementing the features users have been asking for for years finally which is the same thing Akai is doing.

You can't bash either product as they have different paths and type of user.

I hope they never try to be the same product, I have things I like about using each and wouldn't want to see either try to be the other.

Last edited: Sep 26, 2014
  2. W. Steele

W. Steele Forum Member

Please explain .

3. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

maschine may be better but somethings on the mpc are miles ahead such as sequencing, pad layering, pad banks/groups is much better handled on the mpc

• Dislike Dislike x 3
  4. theinvis

theinvis NI Product Owner

maschine is the future kid, the flying cars of grooveboxes, when you're riding in a flying car you don't have time for intuitive sequencing, that stuff is passé, obsolete, belongs in the past….. you know flying cars don't back up right, they just go forward.

• Like Like x 5
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  5. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

maschine is da bomb; dont wanna ever seem like i am downing it but the direction sometimes the focus of the devs seems off but thats just my opinion based on the type of **** i like.

but certain **** like how the quantise sounds mpc will always be king; just for how the grid snaps the notes in a musically pleasing way for hip hop drums.

when i program with maschine i got to turn the grid off and still find that I am dragging notes to give **** the right feel

6. theinvis

no need for disclaimers there are some omissions about maschine that are just simply ridiculous. I make no apologies for that. Ni should apologize for that or have one of their fanboys do it, I take music seriously, the amount that you have to rely on a daw to compensate is unreasonable. why would you have the preproduction capabilities be astronomically high and the compositional capabilities be down in the trenches?

• Like Like x 3
  7. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Just seems they have a very different view of how people compose music or how they will compose it in the future?
    I really expect ed that to change with all that was suppose to be improved with v2 but it's safe to say they are pretty dedicated to their current workflow.

Just seems Maschine always gets me in the same way.
    I can start out an idea and get it going to my liking but once I start trying arrange it into a song it becomes more work than it's worth.

At some point it just seems easier to start on something else in the first place.

• Like Like x 2
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  8. tattootroy

tattootroy NI Product Owner

so true maschine kills all creativity when it comes to song mode.
    glad its not only me who has this problem.
    can't wait for fl studio mac OS X native to drop.

• Like Like x 1
    • Dislike Dislike x 1
  9. Harsh

Harsh NI Product Owner

I've always felt that it takes more work to get a more human feel from Machine than my Ren as well. Not sure why this is the case. Maybe it's just me...

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  10. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Maybe they believed Roger Linn when he said it was nothing special about the MPC sequencer? :confused:

• Dislike Dislike x 1
  11. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Should have known some Linn fanboy would dislike this but unfortunately it's true. :rolleyes:
    He only made those comments when he was no longer able to benefit from the MPC line and not doing so well with his his own attempts.

12. puzzlefactory

puzzlefactory NI Product Owner

You have to admit though, that his explanation makes a lot more sense than some "magic" swing algorithm, that no one (including himself) has been able to replicate. ;)

13. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Well his timing was bad on it for sure but there still is something about using a MPC that makes sequencing a lot easier.
    Is it magic? Probably not, but there is something.
    Can you accomplish it on other devices or software? Of course but it makes you have to do things that can change or even stall your vibe to make it happen.

Maschine has gotten a lot better with how the sequencer handles your notes and they got rid of that annoying first note problem but that isn't really the issue for me.
    It's the whole Song Mode or lack of that makes it stall your workflow.

Funny thing is there seems to be a large population of Maschine users who are fine with it in it's current form.

14. theinvis

I think there are many mpc users who replicate it everyday, heck you could probably just compare youtube videos of the countless numbers of the two maschines and discern the sound with your own naked ears, of course it wouldn't be scientific but that's not what this conversation is really about anyway;)

15. theinvis

there not fine with it, the majority of them use another application to augment every little thing, but what is funny is that the same people using an entire other program to augment maschine have issue with people asking for a few basic features to be added to maschine…. the irony.

16. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

Not so much the sound, we are talking workflow.
    The whole MPC vs Maschine debate has always hinged on the convenience and ease of, as well as the functions and features.

NI still seems heavily focused in making you work their way instead of producing a more comfortable workflow.

If we look at the new features Akai is bring in 1.8 we would like to hope NI embraces some of them but we also know if they do they won't be the most comfortable fit.
    It's just the way NI typically goes about things.

17. Ghost_On_Da_Maschine

You bring up a good point which I tend to forget.