1. Hi everyone,

This forum is now closed for posting! If you require technical support from NI or have a questions about activating your product, please head over to our new Support Community!

NATIVE INSTRUMENT SUPPORT COMMUNITY

The Support Community is the new location where you can expect to receive assistance and feedback on technical support, sales or installation issues from our Support Agents and other users.

Please also note, questions about the status of an order should always be directly sent to our Order Support team HERE.

Best wishes, 
    The NI Team

Massive couldn't find resource files.

Discussion in 'Product Installation and Activation (Archive)' started by theitalianpianist, Feb 4, 2009.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. theitalianpianist

theitalianpianist Forum Member

Hi all, this is my first time posting here. I have a big problem with the installation of my Massive. The problem is, whenever I try to start the application (stand alone), the following message pops up: "Massive couldn't find resource files. Please reinstall the application" then the program closes. I keep on re-installing it from my komplete5 dvd 1 (takes me hours just to load the installer on the mac every time) after the installation, which goes just fine, I run the service center and update the program. Everything goes fine without errors. BUT, whenever I try to run the program, that message shows up every time and so I can't use 1/11 of the programs that came out with my komplete5. Inside my host sequencer (cubase 4.5.2) the program doesn't even show up in the vst list, like it was not even installed. Anyone got any clues on how I can solve this BIG problem? Any help would be greatly appreciated, thanks for your time. :S

my technical specs, if you may need them:

macbook pro 17'' 2.5 ghz 4gb ram
    ext. audio interface: rme fireface 400
    ext. hd: My Book Studio II 2tb 7200 rpm

Massive is installed on the main laptop drive, though, which is 200 gb 7200 rpm

2. theitalianpianist

I have made some research and it seems that the problem may be caused by the fact that my hd is formatted case-sensitive. Isn't there a way to solve this issue without having to format everything? Comon, I have a case-sensitive formatted hd and the only solution that is given to me is to format everything and re-install ALL the programs back again? You gotta be kiddin me... :S

Maybe I have to rename some of the folders to make massive recognize them? Or maybe modify the plist file of massive inside my preferences folder?

3. theitalianpianist

fixed it, had to format and reinstall everything. -.-'''
    took me days :confused:

4. yourmaninamsterdam

yourmaninamsterdam New Member

Formatting and reinstalling from scratch is not really an option for anyone.

Usually, such problems concerning case-sensitive filesystems are caused by sloppy code style. NI might better address the problem in an adequate way instead of passing the buck to their users.

Case-sensitive filesystems are not a curiosity in these days, but part of OSX which is claimed to be supported, right?

5. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Welcome =)

Sure, it's supported on OSX. However, it isn't with Windows. Cross-platform compatibility is key...

ew

6. yourmaninamsterdam

7. ew

ew Moderator Moderator

Ah- I was talking about case sensitivity by the OS, and not by the app. As I said, it's done that way for cross-platform compatibility.

ew

8. yourmaninamsterdam

No. This is usually due to sloppy coding style. How would you explain there are heaps of cross-platform compatible apps that run regardless of the filesystem being case-sensitive or not?

9. yourmaninamsterdam

Good news: Bugfix for Massive on HFS+X (case sensitive)

As NI support and the answers above were not very helpful at all (in fact, NI support answers were complete nonsense), I decided to fix this on my own. Today, I had an hour left and finally did it. I will tell you about some details here...

After some system call tracing, I found out that Massive is trying to access the file

/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Massive/Tables.dat

which does not exist at all. However, the desired file is named "tables.dat" (lower case) in the same path. So, it is just one letter that causes the problem.

The bugfix is as simple as the problem itself: just set a symbolic link. For those not knowing how to do this:

Open a terminal window and type:
    Code:
    cd "/Library/Application Support/Native Instruments/Massive"
    ln -si tables.dat Tables.dat
    That's it. Start Massive and have fun!

If you are using KORE, you might do a plugin scan and/or database rebuild in order to make it work.

Cheers,

Wolf

@NI: Guys, plz make your homework better. This is really weak coding style, and weak support anyway.

10. theitalianpianist

Nice catch, dude! I just wonder how is it possible that people at NI didn't fix this absolutely simple problem.... for like 1 second more of coding, they made me reinstall everything from scratch... -.-'''

Jeez, I'm so mad that words can't describe it. :angry:

11. yourmaninamsterdam

Completely understand your frustration. Instead of fixing this very simple problem, that's what NI support answered me:

"We are aware of your problem, and we are permanently in touch with Apple in order to provide a solution. Although the case-sensitive HFS+ is a filesystem type which is offered during installation, it is not a standard. This means that all Macs you can buy in stores come formatted as "Mac OS Journaled (Extended)", which is also recommended for our products."

Of course, this answer is complete bullsh!t: First of all, OSX is based on Unix, which supports case-sensitive filesystems as a standard for many decades. Second, Apple has nothing to do with the problem as it is caused by sloppy coding style. Third, nowhere in the Massive system requirements or on the package I can read something like "Recommended to run only on case-insensitive filesystems.", eh?

Last but not least, in my opinion, the official "solution" that NI is providing, namely "Reinstall everything from scratch on a case-insensitive filesystem." instead of them just altering one character from lower to upper case is one of the biggest bashes into users' faces I have ever experienced.

I have always been a fan of NI software, but I am DEEPLY DISAPPOINTED BY SUCH WEAK SUPPORT. I just wonder whether NI will at least read this and fix the bug in their next release.

12. theitalianpianist

Great software, but not-so-great support from native-instruments, I have to agree with you. I just wonder, how did you manage to find the correct file to rename? I knew that the problem was a stupid thing like renaming a file, but no matter how much files I renamed, I couldn't find the correct one. How did you do that? :)

13. yourmaninamsterdam

I have been using "dtruss" to trace Massive's system calls. dtruss shows return codes of stat- or open-calls, so I just had to parse the errors and found out that Tables.dat was tried to open unsuccessfully because of the wrong case. Just renaming the file was not successful (probably the Massive binary opens "Tables.dat" in one code segment, and "tables.dat" in another, bad code style again, eh?), so I set a link and yeah, it worked.

14. Tsunami

Tsunami New Member

I am glad the forum exists!

I have rarely had any problems with installs, etc. but it is sad to see what Native had posted as a slap in the face to it's loyal users. I just wanted to tell you that your efforts to resolve the issue are indeed most appreciated. I am using the MacBook Pro and never gave any thought to having issues upon re-install. Thank you, thank you! Your fix worked exactly as you wrote it would. I hope there are others out there who will take the time to read the bottom of the NI 'Resolution' only to find your REAL resolution.

Now I will check around here for the solution to this Pro-53 installation message: "Pro-53 Native Instruments cannot find the default controlmap file Controlmap.txt Please locate this file now." Not quite sure why I am looking for a file that the installer just loaded onto my computer, but I'll search. If you have an idea, please let me know as I am sure it will be correct!

-Tsunami

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.