1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Massive rescanning every time its loaded/started

Discussion in 'MASSIVE + MASSIVE X' started by Jojo123, Sep 10, 2021.

1. Jojo123

Jojo123 NI Product Owner

Is this normal? Putting it another way, can any of you start Massive and this DOESN'T happen? It takes 2 minutes everytime I start it, whether in standalone, inside KK standalone, and inside DAW directly as a plugin or inside KK as a plugin (Logic) -

- Ive given it full disk access but hasn't fixed it
    - Ive put "none" under "database hit-count display" and no difference either

I really dont want this to happen. Is there a fix?
    Thanks for any help!

2. Blindeddie

Blindeddie Well-Known Member

3. The Sarge

The Sarge NI Product Owner

Jojo123
    here the same for years and I´m very angry about not becoming fixed it :mad:
    I´ve tried all the hints given here in the forum like
    • setting counter off,
    • deleting the db-file and than rescan
    • letting Massive (stand-alone) doing the ring-of-death and then closing it > wait ~1Minute >restart Massive and it should be fine
    • moving presets to antoher place
    • putting every bought preset pack one by one in the folder, after doing 1 > rescan than closing Massive repeat with nex pack
    • running it as Admin
    nothing of this tips fixed the problem!
    the only bit of workaround I´ve found for me:
    starting Massive and directly click on the browser button and then on "Sounds" so that this is highlighted yellow. Then I can open the presetfolders like windows-explorer, but the ring-of-death comes also, but it´s a little bit easier to work with until it scans the folder you´re in :mad:

a part of the NI-developerteam seems to be incompetent to make a preset-manager, sorry but true. all other companies are able to do fine preset-managers, see also MassiveX: rescan every time + not able to separate user/bought presets. Don´t understand why they can´t talk to others inside NI or maybe with u-he which are in the neighbourhood and having the best preset-manager :confused:
    I´m still hoping of fixing, because some months ago they fixed the FM8-preset-bug after reporting it by me again, although it was known for years

does your Massive doing the ring-of-death again after some minutes of working with Massive opened?

Blindeddie
    thanks for hinting to my post, but the Jojo123 is talking about (the old) Massive, seeing on "database hit-count"

4. Jojo123

Jojo123 NI Product Owner

Blindeddie
    The Sarge

Thanks guys for your responses. Yes Blindeddie as The Sarge says this is about Massive, not MassiveX

Being totally new to NI a few months ago, and going for K13 UCE, taking advantage of the special, you could say Ive had my hands full. It's possible I may have overlooked some details with getting everything installed, though I did a lot of research beforehand. Eg I may have forgotten to start these programs in Standalone mode after some updates, which seems to be standard practise.

I agree Sarge, this IS annoying.

I dont seem to have a problem with MassiveX - I dont see that circle of death, and after going through the settings/options etc, it gives you the option to rescan, like Super8 and Battery4. The only other one thats doing this is Absynth5 but only in standalone mode and its for 30 secs or so, but Id still like that sorted out as well.

Im pretty sure this did happen Sarge as I was trying to figure out what the hang was going on with it. That part seems to be sporadic as I wasn't able to reproduce the behaviour at will. Im still finding my way around the interfaces of all these programs so its possible Im missing things that are obvious to seasoned users.

From the link above,
    "If you're on Mac, make sure that the DAW you are using has Full Disk Access in your Mac's system preferences, under Security & Privacy."
    Jeremy @ NI

Im doing that. Can you please tell us about any other fixes or clues you know of for this pesky problem.

• Like Like x 1
  5. The Sarge

Jojo123
    oh, described it maybe wrong (I´m german...) I also don´t have in MassiveX the ring-of-death, but those 2 behaviours/bugs:
    -everytime I use MassiveX in Cubase it rescans the User-Library-Path, also if there´s already an instance with MassiveX in another track in the project (okay, greatfully it takes a few seconds and acceptable compared to "old" Massive ;) )
    -but the most annoying & not acceptable bug: all user-presets are thrown virtually in one "folder", so you can´t pickout maybe the presets from CHE or ADSR, they are all shown in a long list instead of the original folders :mad: so it´s a pain in the a... to try to use things where I paid for and I love presets, but with this bug I don´t invest more money in new packs :thumbsdown:

6. Jojo123

Jojo123 NI Product Owner

Hi The Sarge,
    When I had MassiveX do a scan all I remember seeing is a place in the middle of the window where you see a bunch of words flashing by which would be paths to the relevant libraries I guess. Is this what you're seeing when MX does its scan?

I'm still getting my head around how all the filesystems work regarding each of the programs, so I haven't really done much in the way of saving many presets anywhere except as experiments and even then I still dont know what the difference is between saving snapshots and presets. What I want in MX is to set favourites but I cant see anywhere to do it.

Are you talking about just in MX (which would be bad enough) or with everything? I would shudder to think if you mean the latter!

• Like Like x 1
  7. Jeremy @ NI

Jeremy @ NI Support Team NI Team

Hey Jojo123 The Sarge My colleagues might be able to help, please submit a request here, if you haven't already : https://bit.ly/NISupport_Synth

• Like Like x 1
  8. Jojo123

Jojo123 NI Product Owner

Jeremy @ NI

Thankyou for your response. Ive submitted a support request. One form had a list of options and I had to choose one to categorize the problem, but none of them were about constant scanning. I just chose the first option so I hope this wont affect my ticket.

Also do I have to submit another request again for Absynth which is doing the same thing for standalone, but not in Logic?

9. The Sarge

Coooorecccct
    just MassiveX, but bought + free-downloaded (CHE f.e.) preset-packs, so therer are many now to be unable to have a real overview what happen inside MX, especially the packs are supporting f.e. Dubstep, the other Ambient etc. but having them actuall in a big pool to fish them out :mad:

Jojo123
    I´ve the Absynth-circle too, everytime in stand-alone, but confusing vice it´s so much faster than the one in old-Massive :confused:

10. The Sarge

:eek:
    what? I don't mean any offence, but this error has been known for years and now all of a sudden you're supposed to report it to support again because they can help you now? would be too good to be true... the helps were always:
    let Massive scan till end, then close & restart
    or
    delete the db-file or
    set the count to none and let db rebuild,
    and believbe me, I tried all three things dozens (yes dozens!) times, total re-setup (on 2 PCs!), then put 1 pack after another and everytime rebuild db, but always getting back the ring-of-death-circling
    I think it comes down to this tool again, which collects all the information from the system and quite honestly: there are too many private, non-NI-related data that the tool reads out as I seen the last time I used it
    thanks Jeremy @ NI I give your colleagues one more try beside this tool

11. Jojo123

Jojo123 NI Product Owner

Can you please tell me if your scan is around 30secs? Any similarities might at least be helpful to pin down the cause.

I got a response from NI but it because I chose that first option I described above, it will probably hold things up. I did get an option to email back in which I described about choosing the wrong category. Massive is not crashing.

I haven't tried deleting the db file. Is that just for PC or PC and Mac?

UPDATE:
    Support had 2 recos: giving HD access which Id already done, and removing db file and trashing prefs > reboot > Let Massive rescan - Unfortunately it hasn't worked.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  12. The Sarge

what I said
    and Jeremy @ NI as you see: still the same hints to the user from you defs, since years and still these hints don´t work :mad: