1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Solved Massive X ever gonna be compatible with Apple Silicon

Discussion in 'MASSIVE + MASSIVE X' started by Colin Hauser, May 21, 2021.

1. Colin Hauser

Colin Hauser New Member

I don't think he did apologize...

2. Goon

Goon NI Product Owner

Nothing to apologize for either, its done when its done..

• Like Like x 2
  3. Jeremy E Shaw

Jeremy E Shaw NI Product Owner

Goodness, the pressure from the M1 mac folks is palpable, isnt it.

Its like apple's brand new CPU was sold to folks who expected much of the software industry to have already proactively done the MAJOR work required to support this new CPU, as if apple *IS* the industry, and dont seem to understand how this has thrown a monkeywrench in development cycles everywhere.

This was apple's decision -- and its mainly an economic decision that will, over time, benefit apple's bottom line more than it will ever surpass intel's price to performance ratio. One would think that buying this so early would come with the understanding that you will have to wait for compatibility, and that if you want your flagship products to work, perhaps you should have installed them on a supported platform first? I understand those macs are very costly, yes. Sorry you have to wait.

4. JonnyMac78

JonnyMac78 NI Product Owner

I agree, some are, but I want to correct a couple of your thoughts:

- Most stuff (and by most, I mean the overwhelming majority) does work on M1. Massive X is an exception, not the rule, for reasons that have been explained multiple times.
    - I have moved from an Intel Mac to an M1 Mac (sensibly holding on to my old machine, just in case). I have not once felt the need to revert to my Intel machine.
    - The price/performance ratio of M1 far surpasses Intel, I don’t think this can be disputed. Fair enough, it also gives Apple lower costs, but so far I would argue they are offering very good value for money, when compared to Intel or AMD machines with comparable performance.

I’m not an Apple fan boy or anything, just wanted to add some balance, as a happy user who also understands that he needs to wait for Massive X (but only Massive X, I’m not waiting for anything else at all).

5. nanotable

nanotable NI Product Owner

I think most of us are very patient, we knew what we were getting into. But it’s still a perfectly legitimate question to ask when MX will be ready. Of course we are curious and want to know when we can start using a great synth again!

• Like Like x 1
  6. chk071

chk071 NI Product Owner

The usual. People who got nurtured to embrace any bleeding edge technology from the company which teaches its customers to be fans. I stopped wondering about it, TBH. It is what it is.

Just always funny again to read that Macs are supposed to be so superior, and more stable, while Apple changes its core processor architecture every 15 years, forcing developers to adjust all of their software, even when it's decades old. Ha. Ha.

A fool and his money. You know how it goes.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  7. JonnyMac78

“Every 15 years”. Ha ha ha, hilarious… imagine technology advancing so fast

8. chk071

chk071 NI Product Owner

Imagine that other OS's don't go all bonkers, and you're able to use your software just like you have been 20 years ago.

Fantastic, I know. It even runs Massive X.

Last edited: Aug 20, 2021
  9. JonnyMac78

If only there were a way not to upgrade your OS until you’re ready…

PS, the Massive X issue has nothing to do with an OS update.

10. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

There is no issue concerning Massive X. It runs on CPUs it was designed for quite well. It does not run on incompatible CPUs. That is natural thing, not the issue.

• Like Like x 1
  11. JonnyMac78

Nobody is laying any blame at Massive X’s door. Stop being a pedant over a word. This entire thread is about Massive X and its forthcoming compatibility with M1 chips. The word ‘issue’ in this context is perfectly legitimate.
    Man, I stopped using forums like this some time ago for such petty, pedantic comments just like this. Get a life.

12. Flowingglower

Flowingglower New Member

I think no one is putting a lot of pressure on NI here to get massive x running on M1 CPU's. Or no one really did in a rude way.

We asked for it politely and it is very much in NI's own interest as well to get it up and running on Apple's future platform. There is a BIG potential for NI to sell their products on iPads and iPhones moving forward once properly converted. That's a a HUUUGE marketing potential if you ask me and I'm pretty sure NI are more than aware of that. :)

Massive X is one of THE best VSTs that I own - simply put. And M1 Computers the best and most powerful PC's/Mac's I owned - ever. So I can't wait to use both together very soon :))))

Thanks NI for making it possible.

• Like Like x 1
  13. Jeremy @ NI

Jeremy @ NI Support Team NI Team

Hey Flowingglower, the Massive X team is definitely aware of this, M1 compatibility (in Rosetta mode) is coming in the next update. This update is coming soon. As I shared on another thread about it, I don't have an exact date for that and don't want to share a date if it's not 100% sure. Please a little bit more patience, we're almost there!

• Like Like x 3
  14. Flowingglower

Flowingglower New Member

Hi Jeremy, I know about timelines etc.
    Just wanted to share my view on the topic as it comes to past discussion and that NI always was willing and open to provide a future update (rosetta and native implementation) for M1/Apple silicon CPUs.

• Like Like x 1
  15. Jeremy E Shaw

The M1 offerings hit markets in April 2021. That's 4 months ago. Benchmarks aren't even mature enough to say what the price to performance ratio will be, and the M1 has unified memory, shared with a built-in GPU. The M1 can't even run native x86 applications without emulation, which is a large drawback. It's still very early, and folks whose expectations have been set by marketing hype may be waiting a bit longer. There are lots of mights and maybes connected to those potential performance enhancements, as of now.

16. Tony Jones

Tony Jones Active Member

It is very early, and a lot of vendors are relying on Rosetta, disappointingly both BitDefender and Arturia (for me). I'm finding Rosetta clobbers the unified memory.

We are seeing vendors such as U-HE and Spectrasonics going Native M1 recently, so the ball is rolling, and their own benchmarks are showing marked improvements in performance (though U-He I understand found ways to improve performance for all Mac users).

I suspect by early 2022 we\ll be in a better place for decent benchmarks.

In may case I needed a Macbook this year, and M1 met my needs (small, silent, good battery). I just hope the next MacOS doesn't give as many problems as the Big Sur release, which really clobbered several vendors.

• Like Like x 2
  17. Flowingglower

Flowingglower New Member

I own an M1 since last year and I loooooove it. It's ridiculously good. Using Ableton Live in Rosetta - faster than before. Also Maschine etc.

• Like Like x 1
  18. Flowingglower

Flowingglower New Member

I am already on Monterey. (Beta (21A5304g)). All good so far.

The beta prior was unstable in terms of AU. But normally I'm not using AU but VST3.

My Setup consists of: Ableton Love 11 and 11 beta.
    NI Komplete 12. Fabfilter Plugins. UAD Apollo and Satellite Thunderbolt interfaces and plugins.
    Serum. Izotope Plugins and RX8.

Also use Maschine and Logic Pro.

• Like Like x 2
  19. Jeremy E Shaw

Wow, since before it was available at the marketplace? You got one early, AND one that somehow doesn't experience the performance reduction of x86 emulation? That's cool! Did you have any benchmarks? I would love to see that. How did Ableton / Rosetta overcome the emulation issue for you?

20. JonnyMac78

M1 Macs have been available since December 2020.
    My personal experience is that my 16gb M1 Mac Mini smokes my 16GB i7 2017 MacBook Pro, even with Ableton Live and plugins that run through Rosetta. Apple really have got their Rosetta implementation spot on and most plugins worked straight away before developers confirmed support. There have been some exceptions, which is to be expected, but they’re just that, exceptions.
    I was surprised, tbh, quite how much better it’s been, and it will only get better as developers are able to get their code working natively on M1.
    There are tons of real life use videos that demonstrate this, with performance that rivals Mac Pros, here’s one you might find interesting by Francois at Production Music Live:

• Like Like x 1