1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Massive X - Global synced LFO?

Discussion in 'MASSIVE + MASSIVE X' started by td6d, Jul 7, 2019.

1. td6d

td6d NI Product Owner

Hi,

I must be missing something but I can't seem to find a solution for this problem.
    I want to run a LFO that cranks up a parameter in sync with the track I'm making but it shouldn't restart when a note triggers.
    With the old Massive you could uncheck the 'restart' button and it would sync the start/stop/tempo but not the note restart.
    Does anyone have a solution for me?

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Well-Known Member

Set the LFO to Remote mode and trigger one of performer keyswitches to restart it.

3. td6d

td6d NI Product Owner

Alright, I found how I set the (switcher) LFO to remote (lower left), and I found the Performer (yellow P1) and how to set it to "Key" (with the 9 little square button) but I don't know how to link them to each other. Could you please elaborate?

4. EvilDragon

Just, whenever you play any key from the remote octave (which is C0 octave starting at MIDI note 24 by default), that will retrigger the LFO.

5. td6d

td6d NI Product Owner

Alright this makes no sense to me. I have to play a midi note (which will make sound, of course?) to trigger a performer to retrigger an LFO?
    I don't get how to link the performer and the LFO in the first place.
    Do you happen to know when the manual will be released? :D

6. EvilDragon

I don't know about the manual.

Remote octave keys won't make any sound. You don't need to have anything happening in the performer. Just hit a key from that octave to reset the LFO at will.

7. td6d

td6d NI Product Owner

I've been trying for 1.5hours now, I must be an idiot.
    How would you go about patching Massive X so that the pitch rises from 0 to +12 every bar, regardless of what you play? (essentially the same question, but maybe it's easier to give a step-by-step guide?)

8. EvilDragon

Set LFO like this:

upload_2019-7-7_22-37-10.png

Then at the beginning of your project, play C0. In fact, maybe put C0 at the beginning of every bar (with note 1 bar long) so that it's resetted properly every time you start your project from a different position (provided your DAW can chase note playback, which not many do...)

If this is too complicated, just assign oscillator pitch to a macro knob, then automate that from host.

• Informative Informative x 1
  9. td6d

td6d NI Product Owner

Sheesh, I did it!
    And what a convoluted way of doing things!
    How have they not implemented this?

sheii.png

Anyway, thanks Mr. Dragon.

10. EvilDragon

They did implement that, that's when you set the performer to "Key" instead of "Remote".

• Like Like x 1
  11. td6d

td6d NI Product Owner

Might be personal preference but I prefer it to work without needing to link the LFO to another part of the plug-in and having to add "sub octave" notes into my arrangements.
    Just deselecting a button and it working is way easier! :)

• Like Like x 1
  12. Kickflip

Kickflip NI Product Owner

Just upgraded to Komplete 12 and found this thread after getting tripped up trying to make an LFO restart on keypress... definitely feels like a missing feature! I'd run out of Performers quickly if I used those instead. Having access to a separate keytrigger for the LFO does sound very useful and a feature I will probably use quite a bit, but when I'm not using it I'd much prefer a handy button to enable on-key reset.

13. Jan Ola @ NI

Jan Ola @ NI NI Team NI Team

The workaround provided in this thread is not needed. Just set the LFO's Play mode to Loop (without RST) if it should not reset. The RST modes reset the LFO when a MIDI note or a Remote Octave key is played, depending on the LFO's MIDI setting. Find this information the manual, 18.5 Switcher LFO (p. 115).

Last edited: Dec 28, 2019
    • Informative Informative x 1
  14. Kickflip

Kickflip NI Product Owner

Yep, that has it, thanks!

15. td6d

td6d NI Product Owner

So after giving it another look, I think its the 'Pos' switch from Massive I'm really missing in Massive X.
    There is no way to sync the LFO position to the DAW without having key resets or adding switcher sub track remote octave key notes or whatever to your arrangement.
    I guess my main question is: Why is the Loop "play mode"(yes I read the manual) not position synced to the DAW like the Loop RST play mode is?!
    Why is there no LFO "Loop" play mode that just actually syncs position with your DAW? I've spend way too much time trying to understand this (in my eyes) crazy useless LFO behaviour.
    I'm sad, I loved playing around with LFO's on the fly.
    It's been 1.5 years and I've never used Massive X due to this

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
  16. Jan Ola @ NI

There is, just set Rate mode to Sync and Play mode to Loop.

17. td6d

td6d NI Product Owner

That doesn't work, everytime I start playback the LFO starts at a different spot in the cycle.
    In other words, the LFO position is not synced to the host like you could in Massive.

Last edited: Aug 11, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  18. Jan Ola @ NI

I stand corrected, the LFO is indeed only syncing to tempo and not playback position. Thanks for flagging, I will bring this up for discussion internally.

EDIT: I've talked to the team. They are aware of the issue and agree that this functionality should be added.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    • Like Like x 1
  19. td6d

td6d NI Product Owner

Thank you so much!!