Massive X: Runs VERY Hot on MacBook Pro 2018-anyone else?

Discussion in 'MASSIVE' started by bignovak, Jun 29, 2019.

1. marcoctn

marcoctn New Member

Hey, I'm having the same problem (as I write here CPU spikes and glitches in Ableton 10.1 [en-us]), I'm on a mid 2015 MBP i7. If Massive X gui in on screen the temperature immediately rise to 99C (then the CPU starts throttling). If I play Massive X with the floating gui closed it works fine.
    (check the images attached)

Screenshot 2019-07-02 at 15.42.58.jpg Screenshot 2019-07-02 at 15.41.13.jpg

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
  2. arachnaut

arachnaut NI Product Owner

I found the setting - enable rich text editor. It was unchecked. But not anymore :thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup::thumbsup:
    So now I vow to use lots of icons
    :):):):):):):):):):)

• Like Like x 1
  3. arachnaut

It might be helpful to post the graphics driver models and driver versions. Perhaps an update might fix the problem?

4. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

upload_2019-7-2_22-46-46.png
    the way to Ascii Editor
    upload_2019-7-2_22-48-43.png
    and back to Rich Text Editor

5. arachnaut

• Like Like x 1
  6. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

In the Apple world, that sort of thing is handled by the system and non-configurable, a mac doesn't even have a bios.
    That's probably what's happening, or for some reason, the GPU is not being used so all falls on the CPU.

What did you configure iStats to show for temps in that icon? There are several, are you 100% sure the laptop is actually throttling down? On my crappy laptop (MBP 13" i5 2.7GHz 2015) I get similar results with 2 instances of MX but mine is a much lower end version of yours and I have no dedicated GPU, your's does afaik so you should get better results and no throttling.
    My clock stays around 2.6 to 2.9, even though temps are high and fans ramp up after 5 mins or so... Sounds like a jet taking off... lol.

I guess you can also just add a GPU icon for temp/usage, check if your GPU also shows usage during all that heat, I am wondering if somehow your system is not using your graphics card to render the GUI. There's also an "N" icon that shows if you're using the CPU integrated graphics or the dedicated GPU.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Here's on my desktop:
    A bunch (8) of visible instances of Massive X on-screen dont take much CPU or generate much heat at all (albeit its a beefy system 8700k), it does affect my GPU usage/heat though, for this I think the GPU should be handling all that rendering.
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  7. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

It actually does, just like PCs, they have UEFI. BIOS is a remnant of old times - we're all using UEFI now :)

• Informative Informative x 1
  8. D-One

D-One Moderator Moderator

Of course... Having a Hackintosh I mess with the UEFI stuff all the time, that's not what I was talking about. I meant it in the sense that it doesn't function like a traditional PC where you can tweak Motherboard & CPU features and settings on a bios-like screen thing... everything is predefined and locked. Even changing a simple fan curve requires external software.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2019
  9. EvilDragon

Yeah, the UEFI on Macs is pretty barebones because Apple doesn't want you messing with it. This is why you can flash them with different UEFI that is more flexible.

The same thing is the case with, for example, Microsoft Surface. UEFI on those is also quite simplified.

10. arachnaut

I was looking into the i9 H series specs yesterday. The mobile version has a locked 9980H and unlocked 9980HK model (unlock allows ovewrclocking).
    They are both rated at 45 Watts TDP. The base clocks are
    9980H - 2.3 gHz - TurboBoost 4.8 GHz
    9980HK - 2.4 Ghz - TurboBoost 5 Ghz

If the laptop uses the integrated graphics and WiFi that would also use power and contribute to the 45 Watt limit.

The TDP limit is spec's as the CPU draw on all cores at the base clock. TurboBoost or any other opportunistic speedup can only occur if core temperatures allow it. There is a fairly complex set of power levels versus time curves supported, the vendor decided on these if there is no user UEFI BIOS access.

The locked version also has a feature called 'configurable TDP-down' (35 watts) that the vendor can choose to enable for devices that require lower power.

The critical temperature for thermal shutdown is 100C.

Specs are here:

https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-9980hk.html
    https://www.intel.com/content/www/us/en/products/processors/core/i9-processors/i9-9880h.html

11. bignovak

bignovak New Member

Thank you for taking the time to post these pics! What are you using to monitor temperature and CPU? Is it like iStats Menus 6? I assume you like it?

Last edited by a moderator: Jul 6, 2019
  12. cocoazenith

cocoazenith New Member

I'm having the same problem on my newly bought Macbook Pro 2018 (2,2 ghz, 6-core i7).

One instance of Massive X in Cubase 10, no internet browser, no nothing. Fans go like crazy and the case heats up badly.

Attached a screenshot........

Attached Files:

13. bignovak

bignovak New Member

Oh boy, are us Mac users screwed with Massive X? I can't use it the way it is now, I don't want to fry anything. And if you have an i7, the problem isn't only with i9.
    Is Native Instruments aware of this? All the advertisements show their stuff running on a MacBook, I don't remember ever seeing a Windows PC in their ads.
    What is Massive X doing under-the-hood to make it run so hot? Can a software update address this? Anyone know anything about a fix in the works?

14. EvilDragon

Using AVX instructions can increase thermals of the CPU, and also MX uses GPU accelleration, so it's likely if your MacBook has discrete AMD graphics, those will be increasing the thermals of the whole unit, hence fans kick in.

• Informative Informative x 1