1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Massive X: Status/Future?

Discussion in 'MASSIVE + MASSIVE X' started by Lucas Howden, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

To say the truth, I have never used preset browser in MX, if it has one. I use MX in Komplete Kontrol and it provides preset browser with filter, favorites. This browser might possibly be even better. But any SW might be possibly better.
    And more possibilities does not always mean better value for majority of users. There is also tradeoff between ease of use, learning curve and so... and program complexity...
    But I understand, You have different needs. And different expectations.

2. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Well-Known Member

Not every synth needs to have all the things other synths have.

3. Lucas Howden

Lucas Howden NI Product Owner

And not every single line written in this forum needs to be commented by you.

4. EvilDragon

That's not your call. :p

• Funny Funny x 1
  5. Big Gnome

Big Gnome NI Product Owner

I'm fully in agreement with those calling for a fleshed-out patch browser and midi learn (neither is a particularly huge impediment for me personally, but those do strike me as really unfortunate emissions, and the lack of midi learn is quite irritating). I would welcome a second full-featured filter as well in principle, although between the dual SVF, the per-oscillator filters, and the ability to load additional simple filters into the inserts, I think filters are well covered as it is. I'm with ED on the envelope thing--the outcry over insufficient eye candy in general always seemed extremely weird, especially in the case of the envelopes. I still don't understand why that was such a monumental issue for some people. I think per-oscillator unison is unlikely as that would require a fully stereo signal path--I presume most people who want this feature would not be satisfied with monaural unison--which would probably dramatically increase processing overhead. I guess all in all I don't object per se to most of the suggestions for MX I've seen, but nor do I find the "...but Serum has it!" complaint very compelling.

6. GuyCool

GuyCool NI Product Owner

The envelope graphic thing... why even have a static picture of the envelope ( as MX did on release)? Unless the intention was to make it change/animate. Which , I suspect, was the intention all along-it was one of the first additions, after all.

7. EvilDragon

There's plenty of synths out there that have it exactly like that and they don't animate.

Anyways, you as a user cannot know what the product design intention was. You can only guess (and you have 50% chance to be wrong).

8. GuyCool

GuyCool NI Product Owner

I suppose I just expected it... Massive had it, Serum does, like it’s ‘state of the art’, or something.

apologies.

9. chk071

chk071 NI Product Owner

There are many synths which don't have that. I definitely see the benefit of having it animated. But, it's alright how it is now on Massive X (showing the curves of the different envelope stages). I don't ask for much more than that.

The envelopes are much better than the ones in Massive anyway, as they allow for seamless adjustment of the envelope slopes. In Massive, you could only switch between linear and logarithmic, or exponential, I think.

10. GuyCool

GuyCool NI Product Owner

yeah, now it’s great. That’s what I mean by animated- the curve changes to represent the values you input. When MX was released you literally had a picture of a generic ADSR curve that did not change according to the values. It was strange.

11. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

It was not obviously fully finished. But. What would you prefer? Wait several more months for being it "complete"? And it has been already delayed few months... Or have it sooner, working. but not "complete"? I prefer the latter. (Of course, it would be great to have it on time and in full strenght....)

I have seen SW projects delayed several years. I have seen SW projects delayed several years and not working at all at the end. It is hard to estimate how much project takes. I always count as much as I think it will také and increase it by 50%. And still. sometimes it is not enought. And often, the initial plans have to be reduced, because it would consume too much labor.

So, the plans and intention and optimal world is one thing. And time, money, technical reasons return one to the ground.

12. sijarvis

sijarvis NI Product Owner

If NI need more coders, i'll happily help....however, i'm fairly useless and would need reminding how to do "hello world", so don't expect anything fancy.

For what it's worth, I only charge a couple of ££ an hour, just enough to buy some rum....but as the saying goes.....enough monkeys will eventually write the works of shakespeare.....although I think that may be bullshit.

To my credit, I could probably draw a half decent browser using pen and paper, so how about it?

13. sijarvis

I thought we were talking about the slow pace of updates!

14. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

We cannot ommit emmisions. CO2 is killing the planet. If MX has high emission rate NI should do something about it. It has higher priority than Apple Silicon, animations or sound.

You could také a position of SW architect ($150 per hour). No, need for programming skill. Knowledge to operate pencil and cofeemaschine will do.

15. sijarvis

Que?

[QUOTE="Kubrak, post: 2081355, member: 356637]"You could také a position of SW architect ($150 per hour). No, need for programming skill. Knowledge to operate pencil and cofeemaschine will do.[/QUOTE]

F the cofee maschine (sic). Where's the ginger? I think i'll be buying expensive rum once I get that job. Goodbye Lidl's own brand.

However, i'll be using Lidl's stationary. Why waste all that money on nice ink and paper? It's only an F in' drawing.

Last edited: Apr 10, 2021
  16. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

17. sijarvis

Now you're being a dumb C. I want money.

Mine is from Thailand. I don't think they'll notice the difference.

Aren't they "gift pens" from yesteryear? My grans' would love that if they hadn't been dead for over 30 years.....which is about the same time we may have to wait for a decent browser.

18. Fr33mix

Fr33mix New Member

I wish I could change problems with you guys. I recently bought a new Mac as my good old laptop was not capable for Massive X anymore. Now with Apple Silicone, I cannot use MX anymore. And when reading this thread I get the impression that any work on MX is currently on hold (as I can see only heavy discussion on several feature requests, where of course every one has his own expectations and priorities - but not a single hint on if or when M1 owners can expect to get a working version of MX again).
    I can't express how frustrated I am since I realized that MX is the only plugin that doesn't work under M1 anymore. I really hope to get at least a hint if MX will ever be compatible with M1.... I know, should have read the product pages more carefully, but MY expectation was that NI will of course take care immediately of their flagship synth.

19. EvilDragon

MX development is definitely not on hold, at least that much can be said. However, it's not a simple port because of AVX.

• Like Like x 1
  20. Lucas Howden

Lucas Howden NI Product Owner

After watching some very lengthy MX video tutorial courses (very interesting to me, but not enough) I turned to the manual again, only to find this right on page 2: "2. WELCOME TO MASSIVE X [...] It does not stop here, however. MASSIVE X will grow, adapt, and evolve with regular updates - both inspired by, and to inspire its users."
    I also purchased another MX expansion, and I was appalled again by the primitive browser: I have to memorize the presets, or make notes, or just poke around, because it's not possible to search (or filter) presets by expansion AND by category at the same time. So in the expansion folder I don't see which of the new presets are basses etc., and in the basses folder I don't see which belong to the new expansion.
    Come on, that's a slap in the face! (Both the customer's and the manufacturer's.)