1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Massive X: Status/Future?

Discussion in 'MASSIVE + MASSIVE X' started by Lucas Howden, Mar 23, 2021.

1. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Well-Known Member

A new version yes, but not necessarily the next, upcoming version.

2. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

I see, I thought it will be upcoming version. No problem for me, I use Komplete Kontrol SW browser and not built in one, anyway

3. Lucas Howden

Lucas Howden NI Product Owner

By the way: This was recommended to me as a temporary workaround on this thread a while ago. I guess I need hardware for this first (which would be a rather expensive workaround), but if not - can anyone tell me a download link for the software?

4. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

• Like Like x 1
  5. Lucas Howden

Thanks Kubrak, this is indeed quite a nice workaround for the browser issue!
    Still a workaround, but nicer than expected. That´s kind of a minimum browser solution I´d expect inside Massive X, but I guess this wrapper solution at least helps me out on synth management while waiting for NI´s updates.

• Like Like x 1
  6. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

yeah it would be nice if the Maschine/KK browser for Massive X could be ported into Massive X.

7. GuyCool

GuyCool NI Product Owner

Today is a happy day

hopefully worth the wait

cheers

8. samplerbanker

samplerbanker NI Product Owner

Please expose ALL Massive X VST parameters (yes, including switches!) of Massive X finally

9. k999

k999 New Member

Well, it looks like MX is finally compatible with Mac M1. So, can we finally expect it to evolve with new features like expected in the following months ? Looking forward to it :)

10. JonnyMac78

JonnyMac78 NI Product Owner

Maybe after Native M1 compatibility has been delivered. They said that would be done by the end of the year.

11. wetdentist

wetdentist NI Product Owner

maybe by the time Native M1 compatibility has been delivered, it will be time for a new Apple operating system. and so on and so on

• Funny Funny x 1
  12. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Yes, that is the advantage of Apple. Perpetual fear, what problems next OS/HW updates will bring....

13. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

I feel no fear.

No one is forcing anyone to upgrade to M1 or new Mac OS. I’m on Intel and will be on Intel, until all the software I’m using is recompiled to M1 or until I will be fed up with waiting and will find replacements from developers who actually care about Mac platform.

It’s really that simple. No software is irreplaceable.

I know NI has a lot of work to do until M1 native versions are available (due to huge portfolio and old codebase), but they declared they will provide those eventually and I believe them. Everything works under Rosetta so what’s the big deal?

14. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Sorry, it was sort of joke...

I do not know what´s big deal. I just noticed Apple guys complain, that this is not ported or does not work under that or other OS version, quite often.

On Win what worked 20 years ago on current OS of that time, works now on many generations newer OS, and will probably work even on OS that comes in 10 years. And it might also work the other way. Current SW in many cases runs under much older OS than it is targeted for.

The compatibility is not 100%, some applications might have problem, but most are just fine.

15. Maciej Repetowski

Maciej Repetowski NI Product Owner

No worries, mate :thumbsup:

Yeah, some of us do complain, usually the impatient types :p

Many people just don’t understand how much work it requires in case of old libraries and code. But some developers (not NI, in this case) are just plain lazy and there is no way to get straight answer from them: are they going to provide native M1 versions of their software (one year after M1 was released) or are they not. For me, “‘it works under Rosetta” (i.e. IK or Izotope) is not enough. There are some developers, like NI, Plugin Alliance, Waves, UA, etc. who declared that they will provide native M1 code eventually. I’m fine with that, that’s honest approach.

There are many, like Spectrasonics, AAS, U-He, Synapse, Bitwig, Ableton, Motu, Cockos, FabFilter who already did.

And there are lazy bums who are just avoiding straight answer to simple question. I tend to eliminate such developers from my portfolio of apps and plugins. ;)

I agree 100% about PC backwards compatibility, this is definitely huge advantage of Windows platform. Not enough to make me go back to PC, but yes, I’m envious a bit :cool:

Some say, however, that backwards compatibility is what’s holding Microsoft back in regards of progressing Windows beyond simply putting new lipstick on old pig (like in Windows 11) :D

Choosing computer platform is personal preference and I wholeheartedly believe both platforms are equally suitable for music making :thumbsup:

16. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Yes compatibily has its advantages and drawbacks. As well as not sticking to compatibility has its advantages and disadvantages.

No offence, but if I think about it, Apple world reminds me of sort of communism. Sort of working one. One subject decides, what is good and what is bad. Offers rather limited choise, for big money. Charges a lot every single thing. Rather closed platform. But at least it works. :)

Their products have definitely nice design, good/standard quality and Apple brings inovative approaches/products. And ecosystem and things work out of the box. So I understand, they have customers.

Windows/Linux world brings more freedom, much more choise. But it may be troublesome, because of complexity of HW and SW configurations. And often because of the quality of HW....

Well, Win11.... I am still on Win7 and WinXT. Just assembled new PC and so I have to start with Win10, as it would not run Win7, I am affraid. Life is not easy. :) But the computer is great. I pushed 65W CPU 8C/16T, 64 GB RAM, 2 TB SSD into 2 litre box (like 4 cans of beer). And there is still space for 2 SATA discs in RAID. I could easily add up to 4 TB internal storage more. And it is slightly more powerful than Mac Mini M1, but not so nicelooking... That freedom is what I like on IBM PC platform. But yes, freedom brings inevitably also problems.... :)

Every choise has its cons and pros.

• Like Like x 2
  17. sijarvis

sijarvis NI Product Owner

It's a bit like waiting for the rapture. Nobody knows at what hour, except maybe the NI God.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  18. Lucas Howden

It´s a bit like waiting forever.

8 months from thread start now.
    And the next topic keeping everybody busy and away from product enhancements is called macOS 12 Monterey, it seems...

• Like Like x 1
  19. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

And Apple Silicon

20. sijarvis

sijarvis NI Product Owner

This is what happens when you take your eye off future developments.

A while back, Nokia were market leaders in mobile phones, however, they failed to look ahead whilst Android/IOS kicked Symbian's butt. Ouch!

I believe Nokia's highest paid CEO was fired for his failure and over 20,000 people also lost their jobs.....Double, triple, quadruple ouch!

As John Lydon once sang....."I could be wrong, I could be right" but I can see the next 5 years being quite a rough time for computer technology companies with many of them going under (Does anyone use Propellerheads any more?), so it'll be down to whoever keeps ahead of the game. This is no time for complacency. Maybe it's time for NI to get hiring before they have to start firing.