1. IMPORTANT:
    We launched a new online community and this space is now closed. This community will be available as a read-only resources until further notice.
    JOIN US HERE

Massive X: Status/Future?

Discussion in 'MASSIVE + MASSIVE X' started by Lucas Howden, Mar 23, 2021.

1. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

And Win11 and new Intel´s big.little bastards..... And COVID.

The question is, whether there are souls to hire..... Germany is not Silicon Valey, it is pretty hard to get good programmer in Europe. Preferably speaking German as it makes communication easier...

Last edited: Nov 22, 2021
  2. sijarvis

sijarvis NI Product Owner

Whilst i'm sure Germany isn't quite so full of coding talent as the USA, it's not the north pole either and the German education system is far from retarded, although perhaps this is good reason for all computer technology companies everywhere to invest in the education system. As far as I can tell, some people take to computer language easier than others.

Is it true that Ableton's Robert Henke is self taught?

3. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Most programmers are self taught. I do not count year or two as real programmer's education. It is just a light touch.
    I may tell you, it is hard to hire a good programmer in Europe. And one does not want not so good programer to do vital projects....

4. sijarvis

The population of Europe is something like 750 000 000 and the population of the US is 330 000 000, so unless there's a fundamental difference in brain power (unlikely), between the two continents, then there's got to be a better chance of Europe producing skilled programmers than Silicon Valley.

Anyway, i'm only speculating, NI may have a glut of talent already, although as i've said in a previous post on this thread, it wouldn't be a bad thing to invest in more and better education for computer programmers in the sphere of musical technology.

5. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Brain drain. US overtakes many developers. And EU is not US, each country speaks different language and people do not move to another country much. So, you must compare US and Germany. NI emploiis are not europeans, they are mostly germans.

6. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Well-Known Member

Well no, actually there are people from all over the world, even in Berlin office. And most communication is actually done in English. :)

7. sijarvis

What about Komplete nein?

8. Matt @ NI

Matt @ NI NI Team NI Team

I can confirm I'm not German but we're sliding off topic here.
    If we're talking about the browser, it's still on the roadmap but it was moved to Q1, most likely to work on compatibility updates across our portfolio.

9. sijarvis

I still want to know whether Santa is bringing us some new toys in MX or do we have to wait for the Easter bunny?

10. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

Matt already has replied it. No, Santa, Easter, because... Apple Silicon.

11. sijarvis

I hope the update is worth the wait. Compatibility with a platform I don't use and a browser which should have been included at the outset does not make a particularly impressive gift.

I want Massive to live up to its name, so can we please have more of everything and a few extras that aren't there yet.

12. Lucas Howden

Lucas Howden NI Product Owner

I´d like to point out once again that from the way Massive X had been advertised I´d expect far more than reducing MX updates to only the over-necessary browser upgrade.

Some musts (in my eyes):
    • Performer: Presets
    • Performer: Copy/Paste
    • Globally: Enter numerical values
    • MIDI learn for far more than just the macros
    Some nice-to-haves:
    • Visualization of modulation assignments: Color circles where they are not implemented yet (P1, P2, P3 to T1, T2, T3, T4 as well as X, Y and Z).
    • Visualization of modulation movement
    • Visualization of wavetable movement

And important to anyone, I guess, is what the MX manual still says on page 2:
    "It does not stop here, however. MASSIVE X will grow, adapt, and evolve with regular updates – both inspired by, and to inspire its users. We hope you enjoy this fantastic instrument as much as we do and are looking forward to hearing your creations!"

Best
    Lucas Howden

Last edited: Nov 27, 2021
    • Like Like x 1
  13. sijarvis

"Regular" is an undefined term. How long is a piece of string?

And if the next decent (grow, adapt, and evolve) update is being brought by the Easter bunny, which Easter will it be?

14. QUALTHEBEAN

QUALTHEBEAN New Member

I'm an FL Studio user (I know, I know) and my fear is that NI is going to be similar to Image-Line--every time someone asks when the new FL update is coming, it gets pushed out a month. I pray NI has better character and is more mature than that.
    Massive X and I have a strange relationship. It is lacking many abilities that other synths have--such as a granular or sample engine like Pigments or Serum, or the ability to import user wavetables--but at the same time it is sonically superior to anything else I've ever heard. I wanna leave it, because I own Pigments 3, but I can't, bc MX sounds better...
    I wish that MX had more possibilities but I realize that's not what it was made to be and it probably never will be. Will NI ever make something intended to be the last synth one will ever need?
    Also, on a side note, NI should make the MX effects a separate plugin you can buy, bc the fx are top quality.
    Will the coming updates have any of the more expansive upgrades that would put it equal if not superior to the other synths out there, or is that another taboo NI thing?

• Like Like x 1
  15. EvilDragon

There is no such thing and will never exist. :)

16. QUALTHEBEAN

QUALTHEBEAN New Member

I see where you're coming from, but I disagree. I think Serum or Phaseplant are pretty dang close.

17. Kubrak

Kubrak NI Product Owner

One never knows, what will come next.... CPU power rises aproximately 10x per decade, it makes 100x in twenty years, 1000x in 30 years.... Common PC will have CPU power of today´s smaller supercomputer, in 30 years...

So, future synths will be able to do things, that are no way possible today. And it is not only about improvements of present methods, also totally new approaches to create sounds may come.....

There may be something like ultimate synth of given period, but in two decades it will be outdated legacy plugin.

18. QUALTHEBEAN

QUALTHEBEAN New Member

That's fair but that's kind of what I mean cuz they don't have one for this era. Massive was for the previous (before Serum came out). Massive X is far from it.

19. EvilDragon

I doubt Serum is even close to a such thing. It's a pretty limited structure, MX is way more flexible because it's semi-modular. And it also sounds better at less CPU used.

20. QUALTHEBEAN

QUALTHEBEAN New Member

Be that as it may, Serum blows MX out of the water with filters and such. And then there's Phase Plant, which is widely considered the best synth on the market rn bc of it's near-infinite possibilities (Excluding granular) (and there's other synths better than that).