1. We're currently conducting systematic tests with the release version of macOS 11 (Big Sur) in order to offer full compatibility of our products as soon as possible. You can find our latest compatibility status - here

Please note that although announced at the same time as macOS Big Sur, Apple Silicon processors are an independent release with separate compatibility concerns for NI products. Compatibility with macOS Big Sur will not yet ensure compatibility with Apple Silicon processors. At the moment, Native Instruments products are not supported on computers with Apple Silicon processors. Read more - here

Dismiss Notice

Solved Massive X, where did the knobs go?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by René must be Unique, Jun 29, 2019.

1. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

https://gpuimpulsereverb.de/
    I only know this one, and it´s old, but more would definetly be cool, but i think there are tonns of arguments against from the programmers perspective - but maybe thats totally wrong!?

Uwe

2. lwj|localspace

lwj|localspace NI Product Owner

No I meant just using openGL for the GUI graphics ;) I think they don't even look that different if you turn openGL off, it's just supposed to run a little faster with it on. But you could use this to see if anything happens on your system. If they don't run with OpenGL on, but do with it off, you'll know it's something to do with OpenGL. If OpenGL works fine, you'll know it's at least not that, but it could still mean an unsupported version. Softube has that free Saturation Knob you can try?

3. René must be Unique

René must be Unique NI Product Owner

This system stays here until it stops.
    The motherboard has 10 USB ports, 2x usb3 and 8x usb2.
    Ideal for a music workplace.
    Although it has an old i5-2500K CPU, it plays the recently uploaded test.mxprj file by D-One without problems.
    Here indeed openGL or DX is the problem.
    The Intel drivers for this gpu stop at GL 3.1.
    I have now built an nVidia card in the system.
    This resolves the absence of the knobs. Is an investment of € 34, and she can last for years.

René

Last edited: Jul 2, 2019
    • Like Like x 3
  4. Old Mike

Old Mike NI Product Owner

Til death do us apart! Congratulations and have fun.

• Like Like x 1
    • Funny Funny x 1
  5. René must be Unique

Thank you. :)

René

6. Bonus Beats

Bonus Beats Guest

As we can all see now .. when you are totally sucked into an expensive new VST because it looks so cool and the graphics are so awesome just remember that you are paying for some extremely expensive pixels and when you take them away BOOM garbage! lol

7. René must be Unique

I now wonder, why on earth would you update?

René

8. EvilDragon

EvilDragon Moderator Moderator

This is incorrect. "Vector" in this case doesn't mean graphics at all, it means arrays for SIMD processing (Single Input, Multiple Data). It can be used to compute various algorithms, including audio DSP. Google it :)

• Like Like x 1
    • Informative Informative x 1
  9. Howl

Howl NI Product Owner

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Advanced_Vector_Extensions

gives you already some insight.

and with this article:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SIMD

you get the deeper insight, why it is called vector.

EDIT: in the last article, it is also called array, which is for me much clearer than vector..
    i already read about AVX, and thought this is more an array.
    vector shall be a mathimatical term. strange; i can program, have talent for it, but i really out of touch, although, refreshing how all works, goes fast. but i am not mathematical wizard, on the contrary. a strange paradox..

• Informative Informative x 1
  10. Jeremy E Shaw

Jeremy E Shaw NI Product Owner

That's a weird issue. I don't know anything about the rest of your system, but I would do other testing before diagnosing this one way or the other. Any games or other video applications that you can check?

I would definitely try driver updates and even a OS reinstall before buying new hardware. Does this version of the intel HD interface allow a full uninstall / reinstall on windows? If so I would do that, then try massiveX again. On older systems with only the embedded intel chipset, if you "uninstalled" the graphics adapter in windows you sometimes had trouble seeing your screen to reinstall it. ; )

The Intel integrated stuff still shares memory with the system, last I checked, and this has caused performance and other problems since the late 1990s. I would recommend ultimately buying a cheap nvidia gpu, but I think NI should advise if there are any issues with the Intel HD first.

11. Jeremy E Shaw

Jeremy E Shaw NI Product Owner

Whoops, I'm sleepy. Didn't see there was a page 2, and that rene already solved this with a seperate gpu.

12. Howl

Howl NI Product Owner

more and more plugins, daw's depend on a GPU, a dedicated GPU is preferable. in a desktop it is easy, if you built your own, it is even easier.
    a laptop has the problem that one day, but in most cases the laptop has become pretty old, as a whole, especially when you buy a laptop that is more desktop replacement. perhaps my laptop, i don't know if it can replaced, many things can be replaced, that is why i also bought it. but didn't check graphics card.... but all is easy accessible.

a dedicated GPU does not need a lot of power, but i see that more and more plugins, use the GPU quite extensivily.

so a common remark, and if you read this thread, it shows that importance of a good GPU, doesn't cost you a lot, the low priced GPU's, nowadays perform quite well.

and AVX becomes more and more a standard, although many brands/developers have alternatives (SSE x), and now bitwig goes AVX2, for the audio engine.. not AVX, a bit strange, or they thought about it, that AVX2 is better for an audio engine.
    but even wíth AVX, a good compiler and programming strategy is important.
    many developers use AVX (but the installer decide which version is installed, or it can even been done internally, i guess..).
    it is not a magical instruction, but for some cases it can reduce cpu load drastically (but AVX instruction's drive up the heat, AXV instructions are known for, if used in a benchmark, but also normally, the power drain, you can boil eggs on it...)

• Like Like x 1