Master/Slave BPM issues when mixing timecode and internal playback mode

Discussion in 'Technical Issues (Archive)' started by Ahab, Apr 20, 2010.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Ahab

Ahab Forum Member

1. Mix 2 tracks with timecode vinyl.
    2. Switch incoming track (deck B) to internal mode and sync.
    3. Finish mix and lift needle on outgoing track(deck A).
    4. Incoming track (deck B) drops by +/-30 bpm (to as low as the pitch control will allow)

I think the slave (deck B) isn't becoming the master signal when the timecode is stopped on deck A. I would have expected the track on deck B to switch to master and carry on playing at the same BPM.

Is this a bug?

Its a great back up but a shame it doesn't work as well as it should.

2. vinylboy

vinylboy Forum Member

Of course it's going to drop in BPM, if you sync deck B to deck A then lift the needle off of deck A, what is deck B syncing to? Nothing that has a constant tempo because you have lifted the needle off, therefore the BPM will drop to it's lowest point on deck B as that is now sync'd to a track that has technically stopped. You have to load a new track into deck A for deck B to become the master deck. Just because in your mind you know that you have finished with the tune in deck A doesn't mean Traktor is going to know. As far as Traktor is concerned you have sync'd a track in deck B to deck A then lifted the needle off.
    Either, load a new track into deck A while the volume fader is down on the mixer, sync your track using timecode then lift the needle off, or don't sync a new track internally to a tune you are about to life the needle off of. Just go into internal mode, then once you load a new track then you can go about syncing internally.

3. Ahab

Ahab Forum Member

Yeah I get that but I would have thought that it would be coded so if a track is sync'd and loses its tempo signal from the master it would carry on playing at the last tempo reading received and make itself the master. That would definitely be preferable to the track going drastically out of the BPM range.

I'm sure there are ways around it but I'm sure it could easily be programmed to stay at the same tempo if the master track is stopped.

I'm going to need to have a mess around with it because the way I've naturally assumed you can use it, you can't.

4. vinylboy

vinylboy Forum Member

Yeah, you're not wrong. Seems pretty obvious that if you got 2 tracks playing and lift the needle off of one you're still going to want the other one to keep playing.
    Maybe suggest it in the other forum

5. DJ Freshfluke

DJ Freshfluke Traktor Mod Moderator

1st: what do you think this is? when you lift the needle, the signal decreases to a point where traktor thinks it has stopped. so the other track does exactly that - stop.

2nd: better use MAN master mode with timecode and switch the master manually. the auto mode just doesnt work good with timecode. that has some technical reasons behind this.

6. Ahab

Ahab Forum Member

I do get your point. I guess this isn't an issue with just using internal decks as its all a digital signal which prompts the switching of the master deck focus when you stop the track.

I'll try using manual master.

Thanks

7. vinylboy

vinylboy Forum Member

I use timecode vinyl, and most of the time I use auto master mode. To be fair I, like you, switch between timecode & internal mode throughout my sets depending on what I am doing. I scratch and pull off the odd turntablist manoeuvre so it's essential I have the use of the time code.
    I would suggest just don't sync your internal deck to a deck you are about to lift a needle off of. And don't mix the way you have described. I can understand syncing both decks internally and mixing that way, and I can understand mixing on timecode and hitting sync every so often to keep the tracks locked. But if you are loading a track say into deck A, playing that via timecode, syncing deck B internally, then looking to switch deck B to timecode and mix deck A in by syncing internally (basically how you mentioned above but repeating back and forth on each mix), you are kinda defeating the object of using the timecode. It seems to me you need to use either or.
    If you want to use the timecode, just keep hitting sync or ride the pitch on the deck. If you want to sync a deck internally to timecode just remember to unsync it before you lift the needle off or have a master button set up for each deck & switch the master just as you are about to lift the needle.
    The 2 most obvious methods to me though would be to switch BOTH decks to internal mode instead of one, meaning you can lift the needle off of both without error, then switch back to timecode when the needle is back on the record. Or finish the mix, load a new track into the deck that was running on timecode BEFORE you lift the needle. You don't have to keep lifting the needle for every new track as you can have your deck set up to absolute mode meaning you track will always start at the beginning no matter where the needle is on your record.

Sorry for long reply, got a bit carried away there. :)

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.