1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Matte Finish

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Sleight of Beat, Dec 25, 2010.

1. Sleight of Beat

Sleight of Beat New Member

The glossy exterior of the S4 looks very nice and shiny when you first open the box, but it attracts fingerprints and smudges like nothing else, and after a set it just looks horrible. I think a matte black finish would be much more appropriate.

2. popoff44

popoff44 Forum Member

Yes! A brushed metal finish kind of like this one would also be cool.

3. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

+1. Poor design decision in my book

4. sebastiannz

sebastiannz Forum Member

agree also.

before I got my s4 I actually liked the glossy look but after using it for a while...it is just too annoying keeping it clean. i also think a matt finish would make it look less 'toyish'. sometimes i forget it is worth 1000 bucks!

5. Sleight of Beat

Sleight of Beat New Member

Indeed, it's just unpleasant. I don't think it makes a great deal of sense to ship a product designed specifically for hands-on use in gloss.

I'm using mine strictly at home at the moment - pending the drop-out issues being fixed - but I'd imagine in a live set where things can get pretty sweaty it's going to be even worse.

Maybe all who tested it prior to release were fortunate enough to not have skin.

6. Moujik

Moujik NI Product Owner

I imagine that would have left an even worse mess...

7. ajayp

ajayp NI Product Owner

I Agree.

An adhesive thin faceplate made out of a suitable matt / brushed material would resolve the problem nicely for exisiting users.

8. photojojo

photojojo Forum Member

It would be nice if NI would send these out free to existing users, much like Steve Jobs sent me a free phone case. ;)

9. Tarekith

Tarekith NI Product Owner

I doubt we'll see a free give away, but +1 on the glossy being too much.

10. -Yul-

-Yul- NI Product Owner

11. [O/][iii][O/]

[O/][iii][O/] Forum Member

+1000. The glossy plastic screams el cheapo, plastic kids toy and is fingerprint/scratch city. Matte anodized aluminum like other professional gear is the way. Any arguments about weight are not valid as we're talking >ounce and aluminum can be as light as plastic if design properly.

12. bimbongr

bimbongr NI Product Owner

Just clean your gear and stop whining

13. [O/][iii][O/]

[O/][iii][O/] Forum Member

Please read before posting. Cleaning the control surface has absolutely nothing to do with reducing reflectiveness or increasing durability. The users requesting an upgrade to a matte/metal tactile control surface are not whining, they are wanting a better, more professional product. Grow up.
    ---
    Take a look at Novation's new Twitch or Denon's new Traktor controller for good examples of pro-grade surfaces - they get it. They understand this desire and have incorporated robust, matte, metal control surfaces.

14. philsdad

philsdad New Member

agree with everything said on this post. that glossy middle section is awful.

15. TeLLy

TeLLy NI Product Owner Extraordinaire

I actually don't mind the black plastic, but I was doing a mini-photoshoot to get some nice images of the Innofader in the S4, and it was very frustrating trying to catch all the fingerprints. So many shots had to be redone. Brushed metal would be the way to go.

16. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

Or you could brush the plastic to make the fingerprints go away. :D ;)

17. TeLLy

After all the money I've spent on NI gear, I can't afford lint free cloths or brushes. I have to save for a month to buy spray air cans to clean my faders :(

18. Count Zero

Count Zero ModerAUtor Moderator

That's cause you spend all your money on innofaders. Don't blame NI when it's not their fault. ;)

19. TeLLy

Oh man, I actually needed a spray can last night! My B channel fader was dropping on its own. I nearly got on here and started b*tching like a whiny noob...LOL.

A quick spritz from the air can fixed it up - next time I have the thing open I'll get in there and Caig the upfaders.

20. bigbeatzz

bigbeatzz Forum Member

Agreed black brushed metal would be perfect. The shiny surface sucks to clean!