MEGAMaschine – A workflow-oriented Maschine template for Ableton Live

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Megatroid, Feb 25, 2012.

1. Megatroid

Megatroid Forum Member

Hey people, thought I'd drop this here. Keen to hear any feedback or idea you have.

MEGAMaschine is my Maschine template for Ableton Live. It has been designed to give you hands on control for the functions that will facilitate a good workflow while you’re jamming out your tunes. It leaves out many of the functions of other templates so that you focus only on what matters most while you’re composing.

http://youtu.be/GU_4i8FFkjo

Features

• All features are on just 2 pages, no endless menu-diving
    • 8 Macro knobs to control any Ableton Live rack, automatically mapped using Live’s IMap feature
    • All pads are reserved for MIDI notes, and group buttons for changing octaves, no fancy hidden features on pads
    • Buttons to navigate devices/racks to assign Macro knobs
    • 8 buttons mapped to locators in the Live project for easy navigation
    • Buttons to control the parameters of the currently selected track, e.g. Arm, Mute, Solo, Volume, Pan
    • Easily change the currently selected track with the ‘Swing’ knob
    • A Sends page for the 8 knobs to control Sends A – H
    • Transport controls including Play/Pause, Play/Restart, Record, Overdub, Scrub Left/Right
    • Handy buttons for Undo, and to switch between Sequencer and Arrangement views, and to bring up the Maschine plugin window
    • Buttons to navigate and fire/stop the currently selected Scene or Pattern

Download
    http://megatroid.noisepages.com/2012/02/megamaschine/
    ---
    Check my other video here for workflow tips and important ideas on how to use this template effectively: http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143881

2. Pssngr

Pssngr Forum Member

This looks nice man, you've clearly put alot of time into finding the workflow that works for ya. I might try it out, even though i'm trying really hard to stay in Maschine Standalone to get tracks done.

Props man!

3. sowari

sowari Moderator Moderator

indeed a lot of hard work has gone into this. i really appreciate you sharing :cool:

sowari

4. PulCzar

PulCzar Forum Member

Any chance this will work with Maschine Mikro?:S

5. Pssngr

Pssngr Forum Member

I had a quick mess with this earlier, and there are problems with the pads/knobs doing things they shouldn't be. i.e. some pads enable loop and some transport. The knobs are acting up too. I think its something to do with the Selected Track Control.

When I have chance i'll have a proper mess with it and see if I can sort it.

Thanks again for sharing!

6. Megatroid

Megatroid Forum Member

Yo thanks for finding that! I havdn't actually used the pads in the template that much, I tend to use them for the Maschine VST, and my keyboard for MIDI stuff in Live. I had a look through and found one pad that was on the wrong channel (conflicting with STC), I think it was Group E Pad 4 (D#3). I couldn't find any others, please let me know if you do. I've updated the download link with a new version.
    ---
    Well the Maschine template won't work, but the Live template might still be useful (drum group, pad routing, etc.). You can also look into what you can do using Selected Track Control, and make a version for Mikro. Unfortunately the Mikro lacks the 8 knobs that are the main focus of this template.

7. july142

july142 Forum Member

Thanks man this is awesome, especially since im considering getting rid of my apc40 for various reasons... I'll check it out

8. loscolorados

loscolorados Forum Member

what is the difference between your and ni template. why is your better? your seams a little more complicated is it?
    im planing to switch to ableton, and wondering to find best template:confused:

9. dreddiknight

dreddiknight NI Product Owner

Have downloaded and will check it out... Thanks your last workflow vid was helpful, so I'm pretty sure this will be pretty cool. Thanks.

10. Megatroid

Megatroid Forum Member

The main differences are mine dedicates all the controls to the currently selected track, and allows you to easily selected different tracks. It also uses the 8 knobs for instant mapping on racks. It's also designed to be used with that Live template, and has other unique features like Locators, pre-mapped pad routing, Maschine/Master track selection. And it's omitted other features to focus on just the tools you need for mouse free jamming.

11. Megatroid

Megatroid Forum Member

12. Fectu

Fectu New Member

Wow, this needs more attention - I Really love Megamaschine so far!

Just bought your albums :D!

13. Megatroid

Megatroid Forum Member

^^^ Thanks bro!

14. ricanstruction71

ricanstruction71 NI Product Owner

Co-sign! I've got my qualms with Maschine's MIDI drivers and handling especially controlling Ableton Live with it on my Mac Pro but you just gave a great solution to that problem. Great job.:);)

15. fraktured

fraktured Forum Member

This thing is awesome. Used it live this weekend couldn't be happier.

16. Understated

Understated New Member

Having trouble with set-up

Hey Megatroid, thanks for putting this template out there.

I'm new to Maschine and Ableton, and I'm having trouble getting the template to work. I followed the instructions on your site including the Ableton Prefs, Imap, Selected Track Control, etc.

The pads work in drum rack fine, as do the macro knobs.

Everything else isn't working for me and I can't figure it out. I see in the controller editor that when I click on the assign tab and look at all the transport buttons, they have "note" assignments. They're activating slots in drum rack.

I can't use the swing knob to change tracks, or control and step to go between the Maschine window and back to master track (I have auto hide plugin window selected.) I see the proper control: names coming up when I access monitor display on Maschine.

Sorry if this is a easy fix question, I just don't know where the problem is. Any help is appreciated.

Thanks!

17. Megatroid

Megatroid Forum Member

Hey man, what you're describing there means your problem is defintiely with the Selected Track control part of the install. Try installing that again and checking it is set up properly. Is Selected Track Control showing up as a Control Surface in Live's preferences?

18. Megatroid

Megatroid Forum Member

I've just updated my MEGAmaschine template! Thanks to people who made suggestions to help improve the template.

19. Morpion

Morpion New Member

Just downloaded this - excited to see if it's an improvement over the one I currently use which has too many pages to flick through; I want something less cluttered. Looks like this might do the job nicely. Thanks in advance!

20. Morpion

Morpion New Member

This template seems great - just one question: In the video you say (and show) that you can open and close the Maschine interface with the Control button and the Step button. I've noticed in the update the Step button now turns the metronome on and off. Does this mean the Maschine interface opening/closing function doesn't work any more with this new update? If so, do you know the details of what needs to be done to the template to bring this function back, as I'm not really bothered with having a shortcut for the metronome? Cheers!

(Also, I've just noticed that Loc1 and Loc2 have the wrong cc settings - they're 56 and 57 when they should be 66 and 67.)