1. Please do not install macOS 10.15 Catalina yet, as Native Instruments software and hardware products are not supported under macOS 10.15 yet. For more info, please go HERE!
    Dismiss Notice

Melodic Step-sequencing (elektron P-lock Style) ;)

Discussion in 'Feature Request Archive' started by tiansolo, Aug 11, 2012.

1. tiansolo

tiansolo Forum Member

If you have a mono-machine or an octatrack, you know how fun this feature is.

When in step-sequence mode, we can already adjust automation on a per step basis by holding down a pad and then turning a knob.

Yo devs, why not allow us to hold down a pad and press a key (or keys: for chords) to enter note values on a per step basis.

Face it, NI, the majority of Maschine users are not keyboard geniuses and at the same time hate mouse drawing midi notes.
    And like me, they probably make juke and lack patience :angry: Ha...

Seriously, Who's With Me?

C'MON fellas, REPLY to get this in Maschine and SPEED UP YOUR WORKFLOW.

Peace :D

2. moroe

moroe Forum Member

+1

That would be amazing !

A adsr envelope for each note which can control parameters and midi controlers would be useful too.

These are the little features where NI can slap in Akai´s face

3. Thomas A.

Thomas A. NI Product Owner

@tiansolo: In step mode, you can already change parameters per step. The description in the manual is a little bit confusing, but it is possible.

4. muckleberryblim

muckleberryblim Forum Member

@Thomas. Yep you can change notes (& parameters) via encoders but not by the much more user friendly method of a keyboard.

I already made this request here:

http://www.native-instruments.com/forum/showthread.php?t=143410

surprised it wasn't more popular, as selecting the note values with an encoder is a pain in the arse!

So yeah a big +1 from me, this would make maschine the most ergonomic sequencer ever imo.

5. tiansolo

tiansolo Forum Member

@thomas we still can't change the value of notes in step sequencer mode via our keyboards. the current method is not as fast as an elektron machine when it could be even faster, especially wth the nclusion of entering chords per step.

• Like Like x 1
  6. Thomas A.

Thomas A. NI Product Owner

OK, now I understand what you mean :eek: You're right, setting the step notes via keyboard would be absolutely cool.

7. tiansolo

tiansolo Forum Member

:all gud, i'm just happy you bumped this. :D

8. groovesoul666

groovesoul666 Forum Member

9. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Hello

+1 would be great a really useful request.

Uwe

10. lethal_pizzle

lethal_pizzle NI Product Owner

11. Dillops

Dillops Forum Member

12. muckleberryblim

I'm really hoping this is in the improved 2.0 step sequencer. Anybody heard any details?

13. skizm

skizm Forum Member

Nope. The new improvements have to do with how the steps and velocity of each step are shown in the hardware display: [​IMG]

I would disagree that changing pitch of a step using the tempo knob is a "pain in the arse". And it makes sense that it's implemented using Maschine's own hardware and not requiring a separate MIDI keyboard.

14. Dillops

Dillops Forum Member

Seems like such an easy win for NI to add this feature.

15. muckleberryblim

removing the current system would be backwards sure. But adding this idea would seemlessly and unobtrusively compliment it.

if you know your way around a keyboard it's a FAR quicker way to select notes, imagine playing Rachmaninov with encoders haha.

16. Tommsen

Tommsen Member

Time to bump this old but cool idea :thumbsup:

17. eclipxe

eclipxe NI Product Owner

18. Panasony

Panasony NI Product Owner

This works but is badly implemented. You have to define a base key, when there is already a root note setting in keyboard mode. The base key for the step sequencer is not needed. Switch to keyboard mode, hit a pad, then back to step mode to enter the note you just selected. THIS IS A NO-BRAINER. Hitting another pad in step mode shoud just enter the note that was last entered, with the same values.

Selecting a step in a pattern by long-pressing the pad switches the display out of step mode momentarily, which disrupts the workflow. NI need to understand that the fastest way to work is to select the step you want to edit by pressing the pad, not using the display and the buttons and encoders to set your selection range.
    Being able to select a range of notes is great but the simple stuff has been overlooked.

The step mode should conform to the scale selected in keyboard mode, and only offer notes in that scale, when using the encoder, and greying out any out-of-scale notes lanes in the piano roll. Same for chords. Switch to chord mode, hit a chord, switch back to step mode and hit a pad to enter that chord in the sequence.... come on!

If NI is looking to hire an interface designer, I've been working with these things since the 90s. I have spent a lot of time using and thinking about step sequencers :) Maschine software needs work to do justice to the excellent hardware.

I recommend to NI (if they're interested in anything other than selling sample packs) to have another look at how these things are done in Push, Elektron and the excellent Zaquencer (the latter does the inputting chords using an encoder to choose from a list of chords)

Last edited: Feb 3, 2019