MicroKorg XL in Maschine?

Discussion in 'MASCHINE Area' started by Prodbysungod, Dec 27, 2012.

1. Prodbysungod

Prodbysungod New Member

yo, im thinking about buying the microKorg xl to add to my set (not very much. As of now i have a laptop, maschine (first one), and m audio keyrig 49. along with some headphones, monitors, and other things. anyway its a two part question:

since i am getting this microkorg xl i am giving my key rig to my brother, the keyrig served as my midi controller to trigger pretty much every sound but drums, so before i buy it, does the Microkorg XL work as a midi controller for other sounds?

also, if i just wanted a midi controller i would be straight but i also want to record some of microkorg awesome synths into maschine, kindof like its its own vst. Does maschine allow me to record microkorg xl's own sounds as midi data or will it not do that.

i know ill need some midid chords but im hoping just plugging into maschines midi ports will do it. also does microkorg have a vst or interface that comes with it.? and as always... thanks for watching. (vsauce)

2. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

yes u can use microkorg as a midi controller (obviously)

and yes u can sample/record microkorg sounds into maschine (again obviously)

3. Phantom Lamb

Phantom Lamb NI Product Owner

Hey dude, from personal experience I currently have Maschine and microkorg xl. Use a midi controller if you are going to record into maschine, editing isn't the best on it and the sound are limited. You are better off using plugins.

4. Mystic38

Mystic38 NI Product Owner

Personally i would go for the ms2000 if you wanted that raw uKorg sound.. same sound engine but all the knobs and twiddlies..
    a great early VA synth and 100x more fun than a softsynth... checkout this link to see just how shabby it is...

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ZaVU_vqaMSU"]Korg MS2000 | demo (1 of 2) by syntezatory.prv.pl - YouTube[/ame]

5. jpeg

jpeg Forum Member

as a midi controller the microkorg does not strike me as the obvious choice cos it dont have a vast array of hands on controls

but i thought the main draw is the sounds? what kind of music do u make?

cos i was looking to get limited edition all blk, matter fact im still looking to get it

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vB7M1B_ixI8"]ã€￾DEMO】KORG microKORG XL+ MicroKORG BK - YouTube[/ame]

6. sofakingkiller

sofakingkiller Forum Member

my microkorg works well but it would be a better idea to get something that comes with a vst editor so you can automate it from maschine.

7. Phantom Lamb

To be honest, I used mine when my band played it out blew peoples minds especially the vocoder. But if you are producing, this isn't for you, the sound bank is lame especially the new one with "dubstep" as a category lol. I make electronic music, but I'm just using my junky Yamaha with MIDI to record everything and I love it. I may sell my old microkorg xl actually if you would be interested.

Thanks

8. THE WIDOWMAKER

THE WIDOWMAKER NI Product Owner

same engine, same synth just less controls.

In fact i share ms2k sounsets with my xl.

The xl can access any microkorg, ms2k or ms2kbanksets and load them into its memory

thanks
    ---
    the microkorg has a great editor !

Download from korg

this is where you can see every virtual dial in the synths internals, routing, fx, arps, oscialltors, everything - you can also do all your program dumping and uploading

thanks
    ---
    sorry but the korg has fantastic sounds. Editing isn't a problem once you get your head around the menu system, if you are the type to need to go randomly turning dials to get a result then you can always use the software

the editor i mentioned above changes the synth in real time just like a vst or whatever .

As a midi controller it sucks and i will not try to defend that, but it was never designed for that - the clue is in the name.

If i were you - op - i would buy one, and buY the korg mini control - knobs n sliders, join the two together and plug in maschine midi ports, amazing controller and sounds instantly available

9. blazedupon

blazedupon New Member

microkorg xl to maschine 1.7

i recently got my microkorg (really powerful sound). anyways, i dont know how to use the microkorg xl's sounds into the maschine software? what is the process of doing that?

much appreciated if anyone can walk me through those simple steps..
    cheers

10. THE WIDOWMAKER

basically you can have maschine play the korg for you by setting up a sound slot in maschine to be a midi out.
    search "midi out" in your manual for how to do this. once the pad is set to be a midi out, i just play into maschine the notes i want, then that plays out to the korg.

then when you are happy with a pattern you just sample the korgs output onto a pad in maschine. to do this you need to know how to sample in maschine - search sampling in the manual if you are unsure

come back if you get stuck
    ---
    i want his damn presets !

11. EpikureeR

EpikureeR NI Product Owner

get a minibrute, every VA or digital synth can be done in VST, get something analogue, then you get somethin special.
    the minibrute sounds off the hook!

12. Phantom Lamb

You misunderstand me, I mean if you don't use the editor, it is a pain and I clearly stated it has good sounds, not for production though, I find them to be very generic at times. But again, that's my opinion.

13. THE WIDOWMAKER

yeah, programming is not as easy as i would like (understatement lol) but at 250 quid or whatever i paid i am not going to complain, especially as my MS2K cost me around £750 when i bought that, i should never have got rid. goddamit why do we sell gear? JUST STICK IT IN THE LOFT FOR THE FUTURE.....

14. Prodbysungod

Prodbysungod New Member

Thanks guys, for all the input. just a few things...
    1. im pretty dead set on getting the microkorg xl just because i love the sounds and i dont really need a full 88 or any big thing but im trying to get more into analog synths

2. i know how to sample in maschine i was hoping that because im buying a audio interface that has midi and 1/4 plugs in/out that i would be able to play my new synth and my bass guitar directly into maschine as audio waves. i understand this is probably not gonna happen but sampling it isnt too bad either.

3. does ableton or any other DAW you guys know of allow recording guitar, bass, and analog synths without haveing to sample it in first? i imagine yes but while i have these couple hundred dollars on me i better buy said DAW now.

4. and last question. Ive noticed that maschine and native instuments is sortve selling themselves short of having a full fledge DAW. like instead of advocating using Maschine in conjunction with other DAWs why dont they make maschine able to do things like directly record external audio into the track, or add a way better mixer, or just improve the many other things that could change maschine from a cool streamlined gadget to an industry standard type thing. Like i admit of my whole producing career (about 2 years) ive had the most fun and productivity with maschine, the only thing stopping me is the need for other DAWs to make a truly "komplete" sound lol.

and btw I make experimenta hip hop type stuff; really chilled out and spacey type songs. thanks again

15. THE WIDOWMAKER

The XL is cool , good choice - like i said above you can easily D'L any banks from ms2k and previous microkorg also, this means you have almost 13/14 years worth of presets out there to pick and choose from, and some very good programmers have spent time uploading to the web and selling and giving away for free. Just Google it.

Q2 and 3 make no sense and it sounds like you are confused about mixing, recording and sampling. If you are going to be mixing live instruments and need to monitor back via a daw then Maschine is not really going to achieve this with any level of success, it is a sampler/pattern sequencer, and recording is basically sampling anyway, try not to draw a line between the 2 terms.

Q4 - I dont think they are - well in fact they definitely are not, Maschine was never conceptually designed as a DAW - it's a pattern based sampler with a sequencer that over time has grown into accomodating vst etc.

16. noiserot

noiserot Forum Member

You can play external synths and live instruments directly through Maschine. It's quick and easy to do record them live into Maschine:

[ame="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nF3uGMYc5j8&t=01m56s"]NI Maschine 1.6 Live Sampling With VST - YouTube[/ame]

17. THE WIDOWMAKER

5 banks of sounds for you here

here you go !

5 banks of sounds ready to use in mkXL, ms2k or Mk.

Attached Files:

18. THE WIDOWMAKER

and here is 1 more bank

enjoy !

dont say i never do anything for you ;-)

Attached Files:

19. Prodbysungod

Prodbysungod New Member

ok after watching the video that noiserot posted and Widowmakers comments i understand. just was confused on if maschine had the inputs to recieve exxt audio because i mainly do internal sampling thanks, and thanks for the preset links!