Microtonal piano possible?

Discussion in 'General Chat' started by Musicisgood, Oct 21, 2018.

1. Musicisgood

Musicisgood New Member

I'm thinking of buying Komplete 12, and wondering if it is possible to set the temperament of the pianos. For example, for Una Corda, are there options of what tunings to use, such as meantone, just intonation in whichever key, and so on? And, possible to create ones own temperament by specifying cent values for example?

If not, then is there some work around in order to be able to do this? And, also for other NI instruments?

I'm using Reaper on a Macbook Pro.

Thanks!

2. Paule

Paule NI Product Owner

3. Musicisgood

Musicisgood New Member

Oh, does that mean there is no way of tuning NI pianos without buying extra things, like Reaktor?

And, if in Reaktor, is there any video or set of instructions available to lead me through how to do that? I am totally new to all this computer music stuff. I'm an acoustic musician really! Thanks!

4. Musicisgood

Musicisgood New Member

Also, I just found this page:
    https://support.native-instruments....y-KONTAKT-Piano-Instrument-Sounds-Out-of-Tune

It shows that different temperaments can be selected - Pythagorean, Meantone (which they write with two separate words, I have no idea why), Werckmeister, and so on. Unfortunately,
    1) I see no option of creating ones own temperament (this should be a no-brainer to add), and
    2) It says "This applies to the following KONTAKT Instruments from the CLASSIC PIANO COLLECTION: BERLIN CONCERT GRAND, NEW YORK CONCERT GRAND, VIENNA CONCERT GRAND and UPRIGHT PIANO."
    I'm specifically interested in doing this with Una Corda; The Giant; and stringed instruments such as violins. Can anyone confirm if this functionality is available in these as well, because that page implies that that cannot be done with those two pianos.

12 tone Equal Temperament is categorically out of tune, in all keys. It was designed because of the limited nature of the piano. Since we have no reason to maintain the limitations of the piano in the digital world, I see no reason to use 12tet. I am actually totally surprised that digital pianos don't by default use shifting just intonation. I would imagine it not too hard a task for the programmers of these products to be able to make ways of being able to play in just intonation and have the tuning shift when you shift keys, so that it's always in just intonation to the relevant key. The problem with a physical piano is that if you actually make it in tune in one key, it will go more and more out of tune the further away from that key you go (producing 'wolf' notes and so on). Software totally has the potential to overcome this issue, in the same way any good vocalist does, or fretless string player, for example.

Anyone know of anyone who has made such a system, of shifting just intonation? I guess the slow way would be to make all the music first, then select areas of the track and click some buttons to tune them to just intonation on the key for that section, then select the next part, select just intonation to that new key, and so on. But the better way in my opinion would be to have the program give the option to have it automatically detect the key and then select the appropriate just intonation (or whatever temperament one has chosen) based on that key, and automatically shift as the music changes key. I'd be happy to hear of anyone who has already done any of this. Or if no-one has, then I'd be happy to hear from anyone who has the skills and inclination to make it, and I would be happy to work with them on it giving musical input.