Midi 2.0

Discussion in 'KOMPLETE KONTROL SERIES' started by Norbert, Feb 21, 2020.

1. Norbert

Norbert NI Product Owner

Hi,
    will the coming Midi Standard 2.0 affect NI hardware (Komplete Kontrol S-Series and Maschine)? Or is it just a matter of software?
    Should I wait for Midi 2.0-ready S88-keyboard and Maschine?
    Thanks in advance for a reply.
    Norbert

2. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

It will effect both but I think the implementation will take a while and you will be able to control a synth with midi 2 with a midi 1 keyboard but then miss maybe higher resolution and some expression stuff maybe (mpe already exists) - if you need a keyboard right now I wouldn't wait. Great music is produced for years now with midi 1 and nobody cares. I even doubt that it will a big thing. But that's just my opinion.

Uwe

3. dasoli

dasoli NI Product Owner

4. Norbert

Norbert NI Product Owner

Hi,
    thanks for your answers and links.
    I am using a S49 at home and a M32 for on the way; so I don't need a S88 urgently.
    I will wait for a while and see if Midi 2.0 may be a game changer (as Uwe said) or not.
    Best regards.

5. Uwe303

Uwe303 NI Product Owner

Don't get me wrong, I know this link, and like to see enhancements with midi as well. But I don't see that it will totally blow our minds and change the way totally like we make music today. It's a normal technical enhancement.

Uwe

• Like Like x 1
  6. JesterMgee

JesterMgee NI Product Owner

Consider how long it has taken for VST3 to start to even make an appearance as the replacement for VST2. Unlike technical progression in the computer industry, technical progression in the music industry for specifications is a slooooow process so I wouldn't count on anything being a thing for years/decades to come. It may be implemented here and there but will take devs a long while after to actually start making use of any of it.