MIDI Input mode setting button in top bar with keyboard shortcut.

Discussion in 'Feature Suggestions' started by Wilmar Boer, Feb 2, 2020.

1. Wilmar Boer

Wilmar Boer NI Product Owner

It is possible to set the default MIDI input mode setting in the preferences. But I wish this could be a toggle somewhere in the top bar (maybe besides the follow or sync button). Because while recording and producing letting your studio master keyboard follow the focus of selected tracks is convenient while during performance letting the MIDI- stick to a specific track or multiple tracks in a layer or split layout is better for playing. Starting and stopping patterns using JAM wil get the MIDI Masterkeyboard focus shift. That's not big problem during producing, in fact it can be handy to quickly try sounds and note options, but while performing it's absolutely not what you want. On stage you need to be able to start and stop patterns while the keyboard stays focused on a specific (synth) sound.

2. Wilmar Boer

Wilmar Boer NI Product Owner

3. minortom

minortom New Member

Not enough privileges to make my own thread, but I had them I'd be asking for a slightly different solution to the same problem, in the form of smarter MIDI routing.

Use case: I actually want the focus to follow what I'm doing with Maschine, what I need is to be able to decouple some MIDI inputs from this behavior. For example, I may have two incoming MIDI streams:
    • An external sequencer driving a particular sound in a particular group
    • A keyboard (e.g. Kontrol M32) for playing and controlling parameters of currently focused group/sound
    Both are useful simultaneously, but combining the two is currently very awkward: either the sequencer will begin playing the focused sound (if it's set to Default/Focus) or I have to manually route the keyboard every time I need it to play something else. Obviously not an option for live performance, a bit of an inspiration killer. The workaround would be to configure MIDI mappings on the keyboard with specific channels routed to specific instruments, losing both the Default/Focus routing and, in case of Kontrol, parameter display.

A basic solution would be an ability to remove some MIDI inputs from default/focus routing (e.g. the sequencer input only plays explicitly routed instruments and does not follow focus regardless of MIDI input setting of the focused group/sound, but the keyboard does). This could be a simple toggle on the MIDI input configuration page. An ability to do this per channel would be golden, but even per input would be hugely helpful.

Or put another way, I've noticed that a Maschine controller (JAM in my case) always plays selected sound regardless of its MIDI input setting. Same is not true of Kontrol, despite its integration with Maschine (parameters/browsing/track selection works, but note input needs to be explicitly enabled and received from its MIDI input). It would be convenient to be able to extend JAM's omni behavior to other controllers.

Last edited: Jul 22, 2020